Cut and Pasting Information - Forum related topics (including issues) - CHDK Forum  

Cut and Pasting Information

• 7 Replies

databoy

Cut and Pasting Information
« on: 26 / March / 2008, 08:18:16 »
Advertisements
I am having problems cut and pasting a prepared document into the box.
How do I go about it.

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
Re: Cut and Pasting Information
« Reply #1 on: 26 / March / 2008, 09:18:55 »
Weird, I use to write in Word (to help me with the spelling and grammar) and copy/paste to the forum. Never had a problem.

You give too little information. It is difficult for people to help without details. What do yo mean by "having problems"?
« Last Edit: 26 / March / 2008, 09:22:52 by wontolla »

databoy

« Reply #2 on: 26 / March / 2008, 11:01:37 »
Sorry for the short post.

I use your method for the same reason (I am a slow typist and bad spelling) in other forums with no problems.

I tried drafting a document in Word; cut and paste into the forum post box. I click preview to read the post. That is fine when I hit the post button, the box highlights in red it tells me that the space is empty.

If I type a reply directly into the reply box, like this one; preview and post, the reply is fine.

I have also tried cut and post using notepad, then into the reply box, with the same result.

The full text with both methods is in the box; there is nothing missing. I have also typed a one line directly on top of the posted message with no result.

It just occurred to me as I am typing that I am using the Mozilla Plugin No Scripts; I wonder if that is the problem. I will try posting in another section with No Scripts turned off. If it works I will add another message.   

Mozilla Firefox 20013 browser; WinXP OS.

databoy

« Reply #3 on: 26 / March / 2008, 11:11:51 »
I tried a word cut and paste with NO Scripts turned off.

The box highlights in red with the following message above the box:

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
The message body was left empty.

The above only occur with cut and paste and not typing directly.

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #4 on: 26 / March / 2008, 11:30:56 »

databoy

« Reply #5 on: 26 / March / 2008, 11:53:20 »
IE; A big security risk - I have removed it from my computer.

I just did a short post regarding micro controllers.
The problem has to do with the URL links embedded in word.
They seem to cause a problem when cut and pasted directly from word into the message box.
I cut and pasted the description section of the document then cut and pasted the urls into the mozilla url box.
I visited the web pages and cut and pasted the url links from mozilla directly into the message box.

I have no idea why, the urls are identical as the word document but it seems to work even with No Scripts on.

As you said it may be mozilla; I just upgraded it about 4 hours ago.

« Reply #6 on: 26 / March / 2008, 18:47:40 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 14:59:51 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

databoy

« Reply #7 on: 26 / March / 2008, 21:27:12 »
Thank you for the info. I have just downloaded and installed the software. I will give it a go with the next post.

I normally use a freeware program Notepad ++. I draft in Word then cut and paste into Notepad ++.

I upgraded WinXP about two weeks ago using CTUpdate:

VulnerabilityAssessment.co.uk

The program is a script which downloads the all the latest update files directly from the Microsoft servers. I prefer it rather than using MS auto update.

Since the update I have observed XP behaves differently. Microsoft may have done a Vista.
Notepad ++ is behaving differently. I have a Dvico FusionHDTV which consumes 40-50% resources when it should consume about 20-30%. Using Control/alt/delete Task Manager sometimes does not terminate resident programs. Upon XP shut down some resident programs hang; they have to be manually terminated.

Overall XP is more stable and secure; so I do not want to reload XP from scratch. Too painful and time consuming.

My understanding is that different updaters ie Autopatcher, Ryan'sVM may use different versions of the MS update files.

CTUpdate is free; sanctioned by MS and supported by a reputable commercial company. If anyone is using XP it is the best update path. The first download may be up to 700mb; the site explains why.