ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread - page 58 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread

• 899 Replies

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS - Porting Thread
« Reply #570 on: 15 / January / 2012, 14:52:15 »
Advertisements
@ryandigweed

I entered that into the "CameraVersion v1.3" and the version says 101A (But the camera is "Unknown")

CameraVersion uses exiftool to extract camera model and firmware; since version 1.3 was released well before
the introduction of the ELPH300HS / IXUS220HS the exiftool supplied with it is out of date.
Just use the button to surf to the exiftool site and download the latest exiftool version.
(Since I also own this camera I know it properly recognises this camera)

hope that helps,

wim

« Reply #571 on: 15 / January / 2012, 14:59:55 »
AhaH, thanks for that. I had a feeling it could have been outdated, but I didnt know i could update only the exiftool and have the cameraversion upto-date. :) Thanks

Great tip !.. :)

How is the camera?. Any good?.. Im excited to use this camera. First time that i've shifted to canon. (was a sony user before). I shifted mainly because of the CHDK .. :P

Got any fancy scripts?. Made any yourself?

------

Also what good is the lens profile?. Does it recognize RAW photos with their exif data and then apply some certain adjustments? WB? exposure etC?

« Reply #572 on: 16 / January / 2012, 07:16:32 »
I'm about to buy an Ixus 220 HS but before I do I'd like to check something.

Will CHDK allow me to do remote capture with programs such as gPhoto2 and Cam4you?  I think it should, but I can't find any definitive answer.

Chris

Can anybody answer this one, please?

« Reply #573 on: 16 / January / 2012, 08:19:38 »
I'm about to buy an Ixus 220 HS but before I do I'd like to check something.

Will CHDK allow me to do remote capture with programs such as gPhoto2 and Cam4you?  I think it should, but I can't find any definitive answer.

Chris

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

You may want to check out the User Manual http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual

« Reply #574 on: 16 / January / 2012, 09:29:22 »
I'm about to buy an Ixus 220 HS but before I do I'd like to check something. Will CHDK allow me to do remote capture with programs such as gPhoto2 and Cam4you?  I think it should, but I can't find any definitive answer.
Unless I'm mistaken, the discussion on the forum had been that older Canon cameras supported remote capture via those programs but that Canon removed this capability several years ago in newer cameras.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #575 on: 16 / January / 2012, 11:47:16 »
Unless I'm mistaken, the discussion on the forum had been that older Canon cameras supported remote capture via those programs but that Canon removed this capability several years ago in newer cameras.

Indeed, but isn't remote capture in firmware, in which case it is replaced with CHDK?  Canon's firmware won't allow it but surely CHDK can.  Or am I missing something?

Chris

« Reply #576 on: 16 / January / 2012, 12:08:36 »
Indeed, but isn't remote capture in firmware, in which case it is replaced with CHDK?  Canon's firmware won't allow it but surely CHDK can.  Or am I missing something?
Remote capture was in the Canon firmware of the old cameras.  It is not in the firmware of the new cameras.  CHDK does not replace the cameras firmware - it loads in RAM to augment the built-in firmware and makes no permanent change to the camera.  Fundamental camera functionality is still operated by the Canon firmware.

That being said,  there are a couple of projects looking at video capture over ptp.  However,  the PC clients are custom - I don't believe there is any plan to have them work with the software packages you originally mentioned.  Or a schedule for when the projects will be done.

« Reply #577 on: 16 / January / 2012, 12:26:12 »
Thank you for that explanation.  It appeared to me to be a simple feature that would be one of the first things that CHDK would implement, but it must be a lot harder than I imagined.

I have used gPhoto2 and Cam4you with my A80 and had good results with both.  It's a pity that I won't be able to do the same with a new camera.  Perhaps I'll just stick to old ones.

Chris

Offline db2

« Reply #578 on: 16 / January / 2012, 12:31:58 »
As has become clearer to me following this thread, CHDK can only tweak and access parameters that actually exist in the Canon software. Canon builds all these cameras with mostly the same functionality, and then dumbs down it's less expensive units in order to get people to upgrade. CHDK can undo this dumbing down by giving you fuller access to all the aspects of the canon software functionality, but it cannot create or control properties which completely don't exist in the canon software.

« Reply #579 on: 16 / January / 2012, 13:14:37 »
As has become clearer to me following this thread, CHDK can only tweak and access parameters that actually exist in the Canon software. Canon builds all these cameras with mostly the same functionality, and then dumbs down it's less expensive units in order to get people to upgrade. CHDK can undo this dumbing down by giving you fuller access to all the aspects of the canon software functionality, but it cannot create or control properties which completely don't exist in the canon software.
Interesting interpretation but I'm not sure I agree.  CHDK provides many things not in the original camera firmware -  USB remote,  RAW,  HDR bracketing being a few examples.    And the price differences in Canon cameras tends to reflect the quality of the lens,  sensor and general construction.   Software functionality does not really factor into that.