Windows GUI for CHDK porting - page 5 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Windows GUI for CHDK porting

• 98 Replies
Re: Windows GUI for CHDK porting tools
« Reply #40 on: 02 / September / 2011, 09:03:43 »
Advertisements
hey, i wanted to try your tool but the link seems to be dead, do you mind reuploading?

done
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #41 on: 27 / November / 2011, 23:36:17 »
Notice :  version 1.04 has a serious bug.  LDRD instructions are dissassembled as STRD.  This bug was not in version 1.03.   An update to v1.05 has been released.

« Last Edit: 28 / November / 2011, 00:15:55 by waterwingz »

« Reply #42 on: 09 / December / 2011, 22:53:38 »
Update to v1.06

Changes are all to formatting.   Removed tabs and replaced with appropriate number of spaces so that the columns all line up better.

Added an "indent" mode at user request - moves source lines over 4 spaces before the first " character - looks nicer that way I think.

Deleted multiple extra white spaces  at the end of each line.

« Reply #43 on: 02 / February / 2012, 04:45:20 »
I would like to see "window always stay on top" option in one of future versions.
Very useful for quick code compare.

« Reply #44 on: 03 / February / 2012, 22:07:34 »
I would like to see "window always stay on top" option in one of future versions.
Very useful for quick code compare.
Done - version 1.07 now available.    "Always on top" option availaible in Setup menu - requires app to restart though.

« Reply #45 on: 03 / February / 2012, 22:32:54 »
So what next for CHDK-PT ?

It seems to be an okay "free" disassembler that is also useful for porting CHDK files between different firmware version of the same cameras.  In a format that the CHDK build and gcc compiler understands.  Which is what I intended.

However, since its release, philmoz has made the painful process of creating a stubs_entry_2.S file almost trivial. What used to take a newbie (like me at the time) weeks to figure out is now generated automatically as a stubs_entry.S file.   Thank you philmoz !

The CHDK-PT functions that convert stubs_entry_2.S files between firmware versions are really not needed anymore (unless you are porting a really old camera).

I'm thinking about moving to a version 2.    Get rid of the stubs conversion stuff - not needed.  But beef up the function that converts address.txt files.   This function has been the topic of almost 100% of the questions about CHDK-PT.    I need to rethink what that does and how.  In a perfect world I guess you could just point it at a boot.c,  capt_seq.c and movie_rec.c file from one camera and it would make the same file for another camera.  Or at least for another camera of the same type but different firmware version.  Need to think about that - I think that its mostly just grinding string compare work.

Also,  would it be good to stop using the current  auto-it function that paint the text box and do something lower level that supports cut & paste ?    Another thing I've wanted to do if the effort is worth something to people.

Other changes ?  I'm not expecting to be buried with request here but its a good time to put up your hand if you have any ideas.

Thanks.

ww

Offline c10ud

« Reply #46 on: 27 / March / 2012, 05:05:52 »
Hello waterwingz, i find your program very useful for porting cameras.

If you're looking for some challenge, one good feature missing to me is being able to directly copy-paste code from the code view so i don't need to save the current view to a file and then open it in my editor (just like you mentioned in your post :))

As for the rest, i think philmoz's finsig as of today is just enough for generating stubs, etc.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 27 / March / 2012, 05:07:35 by c10ud »

« Reply #47 on: 27 / March / 2012, 09:10:13 »
If you're looking for some challenge, one good feature missing to me is being able to directly copy-paste code from the code view so i don't need to save the current view to a file and then open it in my editor (just like you mentioned in your post :))

As for the rest, i think philmoz's finsig as of today is just enough for generating stubs, etc.
I've though about doing a version 2 where you get real edit functions (including C&P) and maybe two windows to allow you to do a CHDK sensitive diff function between two C files.  That way only line of code that will actually compile to assembler are compared - whitespace, comments and format changes are all ignored.  The diff function in Notepad++ is quite good but still tedious for comparing things like boot.c files.

At that point, I'd probably delete all the functionality that compares stubs files, replacing it with a more generic "find code that looks like this" function that works with the two windows mentioned above.

Oh,  and with the different addresses for ROMs and now some of the code being copied to RAM on startup,  I probably need to remove some of the current built-in memory range checking.

Things to think about ...

« Reply #48 on: 30 / March / 2012, 20:29:13 »
Released CHDK-PT v2.00 today.

Adds the requested ability to edit the code displayed in the dissassembly window.

Supports keyboard shortcuts or pull-down menu for copy, cut & paste as well as the usual keyboard insert, delete, text entry, text selection and "select-all" functionality.

Added a vertical scroll bar to the window.

Re: Windows GUI for CHDK porting
« Reply #49 on: 31 / March / 2012, 12:22:51 »
Released CHDK-PT v2.01 today.

Small update to allow the SAVE button to actually save what is in the edit window rather than saving just the original disassembly.