CHDK Bug- and Featuretracker (Mantis) - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDK Bug- and Featuretracker (Mantis)

• 28 Replies
CHDK Bug- and Featuretracker (Mantis)
« on: 25 / September / 2008, 11:25:36 »
Advertisements
Hello,

I just set up a Mantis-Tracker. I think it's a good idea to centralize the bug and feature tracking.

URL: Mantis Bugtracker

Use this site for:
 * submit bugreports
 * feature requests
 * patch submissions (if you are not a svn dev)

A bunch of devs already have manager rights (phoxy, chdklover, ...).

Keep it legal, do not commit following of this:
No disassembly of Canon firmwares, No Warez, ...   

If I see ONE of this things, the tracker and documentation will be remove immediately (there are enough other projects which also need help).
« Last Edit: 26 / September / 2008, 06:58:28 by justme »

srpenney

Re: CHDK Bug- and Featuretracker (Mantis)
« Reply #1 on: 25 / September / 2008, 11:53:43 »
Cool.  This will really help speed up fixes.  It also makes a great entry point for new developers (like me).  It really allows you to find a good starting point, something relatively small that you can contribute. 

Great job.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #2 on: 25 / September / 2008, 12:23:30 »
Stickified (lots of sticky threads, gonna clean up someday, dunno how though - yet).

So how are we gonna proceed? I am not experienced with mantis, but please try to incorporate svn (reading) so we can create and close bugs according to certain revisions and so on.

Developers - please register there using your svn or forum name, we will grant you the rights in mantis.
People who do NOT have svn write access can also be granted dev status in mantis - since you can upload patches there.
My hope is that the bugtracker not only will be used for organizing bugs but also for feature requests.
Using a well configured mantis we can do lots of neat stuff a big project like chdk will benefit from.

is anonymous reporting possible? any thoughts on that? i think it should be possible, so people dont have to create an extra account. however, reporters who plan to report stuff on a regular basis (betatesters!?) should create an account though.

Regards, PhoX (hoping the bugtracker will be accepted and welcomed by both users and devs!)

thanks justme btw ;) talking in irc makes things so uncomplicated sometimes :)

srpenney

« Reply #3 on: 25 / September / 2008, 12:33:04 »
Stickified (lots of sticky threads, gonna clean up someday, dunno how though - yet).

I would recommend just leaving it sticky for a while until it get's stale, then move it to the wiki in a logical place, then just add a main sticky with links to past stickies' locations on the wiki.  Saves having the information in two places otherwise they'll continually get out of sync.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #4 on: 25 / September / 2008, 13:04:03 »
jup, good suggestion.

by the way, the bugtracker can also be used for the other "sideprojects" of chdk, like whims cardtricks and the chdk shell, and for example dng4ps.

what do you think?

edit: also for channeling the dslr stuff. and also sdm.?
« Last Edit: 25 / September / 2008, 13:40:58 by PhyrePhoX »

srpenney

« Reply #5 on: 25 / September / 2008, 14:39:29 »
The wiki has been updated with a quick how to for the CHDK Bugtracker: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bug_tracking_and_feature_requests_with_Mantis

It can be found from For Developers - CHDK Wiki under Bug tracking and feature requests with Mantis

Feel free to update/edit

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 25 / September / 2008, 15:40:44 »
Nice.

If this is going to be the official tracker, it'd be nice to lock down the assembla one (at least so spam bots can't submit tickets ;) )

My personal experience is that anonymous reporting just results in a mess. If people can't be bothered to get an account, they probably aren't going to submit a useful report. Public bug trackers (even if you do have to sign up for an account) tend to get a LOT of noise unless someone is active weeding out the invalid stuff.

People can still post their bug reports on the forum. If it is valid, it isn't that hard for someone with an account to add it to mantis. For many issues, they naturally start as a forum discussion anyway, and are only concluded to be an actual bug later.

My personal preference is to use the forum (and wiki talk) as a filter, and only have the valid bug reports and reasonable feature requests go into mantis. Forums are better for discussing, and trackers are more useful when they aren't clogged up with discussion. But as they say, that's just my opinion :D
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #7 on: 25 / September / 2008, 16:26:13 »
yes, the trac one should be closed as soon as possible. the few bugs lurking in there should be transfered, though i think there werent any "valid" tickets.
u are right about the anonymous reporting, justme basically told me the same. so we will leave it as that - you have to register in order to report a bug.
yes, people have to monitor the bugtracker for "weed", but its gonna be a lot easier to monitor than the forum. because (i hope) people's bugreports and feature requests will eventually "weed out" themselves, as people will SEE duplicates of their problems/requests - a requirement for that to happen is a good structure and the creation of good self explanatory categories.
svn integration still is missing, i guess this will be solved all too soon.
yes of course people can (and will) report bugs here, but as you pointed out yourself someone else can check these bugs into mantis as soon as they are seen as "valid". the "core" devs dont have to "fiddle" with the forum in order to "work", as they can rely on the well structured bugtracker.
i never was a fan of the wiki talk, as things start to get scattered around the place, plus i never really understood the whole concept of the wikia stuff behind it.
anyways, while we speak the first bugs & feature requests are popping up in the bugtracker - the feature requests were "batch added" by justme who basically just ripped my "for devs: vacant jobs, must-have features, status & overview / for users: a poll", which is a good thing.
if we lay this out properly, the mantis will be a huge and nice addition to the CHDK framework and should greatly enhance workflow and userfriendliness. \o/

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 25 / September / 2008, 19:17:48 »
"Camera typus" should have an ALL or N/A option. It should also be called Camera Types :)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #9 on: 26 / September / 2008, 03:36:56 »
done.

I also just added a backupscript for the mysql tables.now it should be crashsafe - more or less.