SX 230 HS + CHDK + Rawtherapee - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

SX 230 HS + CHDK + Rawtherapee

• 4 Replies
SX 230 HS + CHDK + Rawtherapee
« on: 10 / October / 2011, 14:36:36 »
Advertisements
I am a newbie here and I wish to thank first the developers of this piece of software.

I am running the beta version of CHDK on a SX 230 HS. I am accustomed to DPP which I use with an EOS 1000D.  Rawtherapee is new to me and it is a nice soft once you have mourned DPP's out of the box colors and contrast.

As already stated in this forum, Canon's jpeg are nice and it is hard to beat them. I am just starting to obtain pictures that are, in my opinion, more pleasant than the original jpeg.

I have a number of questions and your assistance would be helpful:

1- The raw files size amount to 18Mo. That is huge compared to EOS 1000D raws. Is there any possibility to use a lossless compression that would save some space?

2- Once processed with rawtherapee, the average size amounts to 72 Mo. Same question again.
The original raw size has nothing to do with rawtherapee but the size of the processed file can probably be impacted by the software. Is rawtherapee png format size consuming? What would be the alternative recommended software that would allow similar results.

3- When using the raw average function I obtain, as scheduled, a .wav file. I am unable to read, convert and process this file. Is there a step I have missed ?

4- I can also mention that frequently, when starting the camera I have to reselect the option for raw.

5- The battery consumption of the SX 230 HS is unbelievable. I have unselected all gps options but it is nevertheless mandatory to have a second battery for a one day shooting. Is it certain that GPS is completely stopped through the options of the Canon menu or would it be an interesting addition to insert, in the alternate menu, a function disabling completely the GPS?

Re: SX 230 HS + CHDK + Rawtherapee
« Reply #1 on: 09 / December / 2011, 21:59:37 »
Hi. I'm thinking about replicating your setup (camera and software). I haven't bought anything, yet though. Are you happy with the purchase? Would you recommend something different?

Thanks,
Tom

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 09 / December / 2011, 23:52:12 »
1- The raw files size amount to 18Mo. That is huge compared to EOS 1000D raws. Is there any possibility to use a lossless compression that would save some space?
Note likely. The ARM CPU where CHDK runs slow, just reversing all the bytes for DNG takes a significant amount of time. Any sort of compression would be quite a bit slower. When the camera compresses jpegs and movies, it uses fast dedicated hardware, but if it's possible to program that hardware to do other stuff we don't know how.
3- When using the raw average function I obtain, as scheduled, a .wav file. I am unable to read, convert and process this file. Is there a step I have missed ?
The file is the same as a CHDK raw (not DNG).  See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Raw If you can process actual CHDK raws, then it should work fine. You might want to change the extension to whatever you are using for raw. If you are shooting DNG, then maybe your raw program doesn't understand CHDK raws from this camera.

You can also use the "raw develop" function to make a jpeg from a CHDK raw file in camera.
Is it certain that GPS is completely stopped through the options of the Canon menu
I can't imagine why it wouldn't. Not sure how you would tell, I guess you could compare battery life with someone who has the sx220.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline dvip

« Reply #3 on: 14 / December / 2011, 00:57:35 »
@lumens

Use DNG files, they load fine in RawTherapee. If you want to
process .WAV files then rename them to .CRW, they should
load in RawTherapee too but you may want to adjust the
white balance. Also, make sure that you are using the
correct color profile for your camera (ICC). 

I hope this helps.

« Reply #4 on: 02 / January / 2012, 09:36:01 »
Hi. I'm thinking about replicating your setup (camera and software). I haven't bought anything, yet though. Are you happy with the purchase? Would you recommend something different?

Thanks,
Tom

Sorry this one went out of the box to fast. I do recommend the combination of rawtherapee with the SX 230 HS. I have struggled a lot to obtain raws more pleasant than the in camera jpegs but once you get used to rawtherapee (two month time in my case) you can beat the jpeg file two times out of three quite easily.

The camera itself is quite interesting once you get used to it. It replicates all dslr controls and the lens is excellent. One reservation: the wide angle position is heavily software processed. It is not far from a fish eye at 28 mm. When you open a file in rawtherapee (hence without the jpeg processing) first thing to do is to correct the very heavy barrel distorsion. The heaviness of the in camera correction explains why the extreme angles are not so sharp at wide angle. A part from that, tack sharp.
« Last Edit: 03 / January / 2012, 17:00:44 by lumens »