does firmware dump dependend on DIGIC version? - Firmware Dumping - CHDK Forum

does firmware dump dependend on DIGIC version?

• 3 Replies

orange

does firmware dump dependend on DIGIC version?
« on: 05 / December / 2007, 17:12:28 »
Advertisements
Hello,

I am interested in CHDK for CanonPowerShot  A520 (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05020101canona520.asp), but it uses DIGIC processor (not II nor III). Is it possible do dump this camera's firmware to get CHDK working for it? If yes, I would like to take a shot at it.

thanks.

Offline jeff666

• A720IS
Re: does firmware dump dependend on DIGIC version?
« Reply #1 on: 05 / December / 2007, 19:30:51 »
Digic I doesn't work as it is a totally different architecture.

The first Digic was x86-based and ran some DOS derivative (ROMDOS).

Digic II and III are ARM-based and have thus nothing in common with the first ones.

In short: CHDK-Developers are the wrong people to ask (I don't imply that Digic I cameras can't be hacked, just nobody here does it).

Cheers.
« Last Edit: 05 / December / 2007, 19:33:46 by jeff666 »

orange

« Reply #2 on: 05 / December / 2007, 20:22:13 »
Digic I doesn't work as it is a totally different architecture.

The first Digic was x86-based and ran some DOS derivative (ROMDOS).

Digic II and III are ARM-based and have thus nothing in common with the first ones.

In short: CHDK-Developers are the wrong people to ask (I don't imply that Digic I cameras can't be hacked, just nobody here does it).

Cheers.

hmm ... to bad.

Any pointers where I can get more information how I can proceed in this? Maybe to a web page where more is described about ROMDOS and x86 based processors.

Also, any special reason the developers here are focusing on the later processors? Or may be they started with DIGIC II and above?

« Reply #3 on: 06 / December / 2007, 16:57:24 »
Hi Orange,

The A520's a great camera, so I can understand why you'd want to get CHDK running on it.

From what I understand (I sat on the sidelines of Canon hacking until CHDK), a lot of talented people were working on hacking DIGIC cameras for quite some time, but the only big successes that I know about were: the hacked firmware for the EOS 300D (aka Digital Rebel) and some small firmware patches for compact canons that removed the 30 second limits on 640x480 video. AFAIK these were both primarily a case of unlocking features that were 'hidden' in the firmware. They were still amazing successes, but a lot more difficult to build upon than CHDK, where it's now extremely easy to add new features.

Because of the lack of a breakthrough success like CHDK, I don't think there are many centralised resources on hacking DIGIC. Try searching for 'undutchables EOS300D' (Undutchables is the name of one the most successful hacked firmwares for the EOS 300D).

I hope you will decide to exchange your A520 for a CHDK-compatible camera and put your enthusiasm to good use improving CHDK, but good luck in either case  ;)