An Attempt at Kite Photography - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

An Attempt at Kite Photography

• 8 Replies
An Attempt at Kite Photography
« on: 27 / July / 2008, 03:57:09 »
Advertisements
I used a pretty basic setup, a 5-inch 1/4" eyehook bolt attatched to a cheap kite.

Didn't get any spectacular pictures because there wasn't any wind so I couldn't keep the kite up for more than a few seconds, but the idea of taking pictures from in the sky with a setup that simple is pretty awesome, and I couldn't have done it without CHDK.

On the other hand, I managed to break my $250 camera when it landed in the parking lot, so use caution.  I also recommend using a faster shutter speed.

SD 870 IS, using one of the simple intervolometer scripts, 2 second interval

That's me in the upper left hand corner, running as fast as I can.  Barber Park in Boise ID.

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
Re: An Attempt at Kite Photography
« Reply #1 on: 27 / July / 2008, 05:19:02 »
Hej,
Oh yeah dangerous for the cam, and for very random results... Maybe would require some protecting case.
Also maybe a video in this case would be funnier.
I'm sorry for your cam :/

« Reply #2 on: 27 / July / 2008, 12:59:41 »
For being a pure sport u deserve 1 karma point..lol
but Yvesson is right.making some kind of protective foam casing.
should be relativly easy and cheap to build,im not a big fan of kites and cameras myself.
some kind of small baloon/blimp approach,should be easy'er to handle.
RC Airships and Blimps

Offline zeno

« Reply #3 on: 27 / July / 2008, 18:34:15 »
For more information about Kite Aerial Photography (techniques, equipment etc) , see the forum here http://steel.ced.berkeley.edu/cris/kap/discuss/

For lots of KAP photos, see the Flickr group here  Flickr: Kite Aerial Photography (KAP)
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #4 on: 28 / July / 2008, 01:10:19 »
The photos in that Flikr pool really make me feel like an amateur ;)

I had no idea I was putting my camera in mortal peril with this simple kite trick - I'm certain that just putting a couple fat rubber bands around it would have been enough to save it.  Also, this was totally the wrong kite, designed to zig and zag and look cool, not hover and and stay still for picture taking.  I just wanted to dip my toe in the water, try the hobby out. 

I will definitely read up on that KAP forum, thanks for the link, zeno.   I'll be back with better pictures soon :)

Offline Gran Canaria

• S2 SX10 or SX1
« Reply #5 on: 06 / August / 2008, 11:07:18 »

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #6 on: 06 / August / 2008, 13:11:49 »
you need a lot of balloons, though...
- 1 liter of Helium lifts about 1 gram
- a standard 30 cm baloon is about 15 liters
- you would need 12 to balance lift my A570 (175 grams)
- if you also count the weight of baloons themselves, of the wire (*) and a remaining pull strong enough to have a good vertical speed, my guess is that you need at least 25-30 ballons to play with..

(*) you can launch the ballons without wire, but then you'll need good legs :-)

Google for "baloon aerial photography" for several examples

« Reply #7 on: 06 / August / 2008, 14:12:23 »
That is alot of helium needed,but if i had helium available i would still go for something like that,
maybe a blimp kind of thing with lifting motors,to help with the added weight,
another thing ive been thinking about,is a kite/balloon approach,would it be possible to
make a kite like, helium baloon,to use the big surface of a kite,build in a double walled construction
that would contain helium??
anybody seen anything like that,it might be possible to bring up a kite in very low vind conditions.
does anybody inhere know how big a rc chopper need be to carry a ixus or something like that?

oh oh,just jumped in my mind,a helium balloon kite chopper.the ultimate lifting device...lol

Offline Gran Canaria

• S2 SX10 or SX1
« Reply #8 on: 06 / August / 2008, 15:16:04 »
maybe then just a bigger balloon