Where should I go for G15 release - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Where should I go for G15 release

• 5 Replies
Where should I go for G15 release
« on: 07 / November / 2014, 22:04:47 »
Advertisements
Is chdk for the G15 considered to be in release?  If not, where can I find it.  Also, any advice anyone has regarding functionality for chdk on that camera would be most welcome.  I'm a chdk newby...

Re: Where should I go for G15 release
« Reply #1 on: 07 / November / 2014, 22:29:15 »
Is chdk for the G15 considered to be in release?  If not, where can I find it.  Also, any advice anyone has regarding functionality for chdk on that camera would be most welcome.  I'm a chdk newby...
You can read all about the history and current state of CHDK for the G15 here :  G15 Porting Thread.   

To answer your exact question, the G15 code is released and as complete as it's ever going to be.

As you appear to be really new to CHDK, you probably want to read through this : CHDK : Prepare your SD card and use the STICK utility to download and setup CHDK on your SD card correctly.

(Hint : the G15 was released after 2011 )

Welcome !
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 15 / November / 2014, 08:32:55 »
 ???

WaterWingz, thanks for the help!

I've downloaded STICK and tried to use it to install CHDK, but it fails when I try to format and load CHDK.

Here is the STICK log output:

Preparing Drive D: 64GB - please wait ...
    Formatting D: as FAT32
    Command 'format D: /fs:FAT32  /v:BOOT /y /q' issued
       return code was 4
    Output: 'The type of the file system is EXFAT.
    The new file system is FAT32.
    QuickFormatting 59.5 GB
    The volume is too big for FAT32.
    Format failed.'
    Installation failed - see log for details

When I check the properties of the SD card after doing the above,  Windows Explorer says the format is still EXFAT (which the STICK web pages says doesn't work).

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

« Reply #3 on: 15 / November / 2014, 08:48:56 »
64GB !  CHDK seems to be attracting a few rich photographers these days.

The reason it's complaining is that the CHDK autoboot procedure only works from FAT partitions - FAT16 for cameras released prior to 2012 and FAT32 for later cameras.  Your card is so big that it may exceeds the FAT32 size format limit of some utilities so STICK can't change it to FAT32 from exFAT.

Looks like there is a work around for this : Large SD cards with CHDK.  Maybe - if it doesn't work then zeno (dave) can probaby fix it.

You could also use the FIrmware Update Method of loading CHDK (click the link I just posted)  as a way to get started.  Not the best method but many people use it exclusively.

Looks like we need a documentation change to cover this as large card will continue to decrease in price.

« Last Edit: 15 / November / 2014, 09:01:30 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 15 / November / 2014, 09:08:03 »
WaterWingz,

Thanks!

Not rich at all! 64 GB SDXC is only $52US on Amazon Prime.  I missed a sale last week during which I could have gotten it for $37US.

Thanks for the very quick reply.  After I posted the plea for help, I did some digging myself and found guiformat.exe, which did the trick.  STICK worked fine after that - at least I think so.  Now I have to figure out how to use CHDK....

Regards,
Ed

Offline zeno

« Reply #5 on: 15 / November / 2014, 11:47:45 »
Glad you've got things working. It seems STICK can't convert EXFAT to FAT32 - I don't have a card larger than 8GB but I'll try formatting that as EXFAT and see if I can make STICK convert it to FAT32.

Usually you can fix this sort of problem by getting the camera to format the card (via the Canon menu option), but perhaps that will keep it as EXFAT. 
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit