Neither WASP nor sdminste will allow me to swap partitions - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Neither WASP nor sdminste will allow me to swap partitions

• 17 Replies
Neither WASP nor sdminste will allow me to swap partitions
« on: 28 / October / 2015, 18:46:02 »
Advertisements
Hi. I'm running CHDK off a dual partition SD card and neither WASP nor sdminste will swap partitions for me. Both recognize the card and seem to go through the proper steps, but the accessible partition won't actually change. Any help or suggestions for alternative ways to swap partitions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Neither WASP nor sdminste will allow me to swap partitions
« Reply #1 on: 28 / October / 2015, 18:58:38 »
Hi. I'm running CHDK off a dual partition SD card and neither WASP nor sdminste will swap partitions for me. Both recognize the card and seem to go through the proper steps, but the accessible partition won't actually change. Any help or suggestions for alternative ways to swap partitions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Well, there has been nothing reported as being wrong with either of those utilities for several years now.  So that leave a user error on your end as the most likely issue.  We will need a bit more information before being able to help here.  Please tell us :
  • Camera model.  (Cameras released after 2010 don't support dual partitions.)
  • How did you configure the dual partition card in the first place?
  • SD card size.
  • What happens when you try to swap partitions? How do you know it hasn't changed? Please provide more detail.

As far as alternate methods of swapping the active partition goes,  you could try the  Swap partitions menu option in the CHDK SD card menu.
« Last Edit: 28 / October / 2015, 19:00:15 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 28 / October / 2015, 19:19:10 »
Thanks for the response.

1)SX20 IS
2)Configured the dual partition with stick
3)8 GB card
4) When I swap partitions the small, bootable, side of the disk is still the only one accessible on my computer. I can swap partitions in CHDK, but then I can't swap it back without finding another computer to use.

« Reply #3 on: 28 / October / 2015, 19:25:24 »
SX20 IS
A 2009 camera needing dual partitions for cards larger than 4G as you suspected.

Configured the dual partition with stick
Always a good choice!

8 GB card
Definitely needing 2 partitions for use with your SX20

4) When I swap partitions the small, bootable, side of the disk is still the only one accessible on my computer. I can swap partitions in CHDK, but then I can't swap it back without finding another computer to use.
What kind of computer? 

If you swap the partitions using CHDK,  then can you see the larger partition on your computer?

If you want to swap the partitions back,  boot the camera using the "Firmware Update" method (as SD card lock autoboot will no longer work if the large partition is primary).  Then use the CHDK menus to swap it back.

« Reply #4 on: 28 / October / 2015, 19:41:08 »
It's a windows 7 (64 bit) computer. When I swap the partitions in CHDK I can see the larger partition fine, but then I can't swap it back. If I use the firmware update method do I need to reconfigure my SD card?

Thanks for your help on this. I'd avoided this problem for a long time and just used the USB cable to transfer images, but that doesn't work when I'm shooting in raw.

« Reply #5 on: 28 / October / 2015, 20:14:36 »
It's a windows 7 (64 bit) computer.
Strange.  That should work fine and has for me in the past. 

If you run WICKS or sdminste.exe, do you have the SD card lock switch in the "unlocked" position?

Once you have run WICKS or sdminste.exe to swap to the larger partition, (even if it does not appear to work on your PC)  will that SD card still autoboot CHDK?  Or does it say "Card Locked" when you boot?

Or is this something weird about needing to umount and remount the card - or reboot the PC - after WICKS or sdminste.exe swaps the main partition.

If I use the firmware update method do I need to reconfigure my SD card?
You don't need to reconfigure.  You used STICK so it should have put the ps.fi2 file needed for "firmware update" booting on both partitions in the home (root) directory.  That will allow "firmware update" booting regardless of the currently active partition.  If there is no ps.fi2 file in the root of the large partition, you need to copy one there from either the small partition or by extracting from the downloaded CHDK install file.

« Reply #6 on: 28 / October / 2015, 20:30:15 »
Yup. The SD card is unlocked, and even after I try to swap it the card will still autoboot in CHDK (after locking of course). Very strange. And, unfortunately, it looks like the firmware update method doesn't work for the SX20.

« Reply #7 on: 28 / October / 2015, 21:36:09 »
Yup. The SD card is unlocked, and even after I try to swap it the card will still autoboot in CHDK (after locking of course). Very strange.
Grasping at straws here as it works for me and hundreds of others.  Maybe the virus scanner on your PC? Or not running the utilities as a privileged user?

And, unfortunately, it looks like the firmware update method doesn't work for the SX20.
Darn.  That always seems to happen when someone has this sort of issue.   FWIW I've gone back at least once to prove that a camera that does not support the "Firmware Update" method actually does.  But without actually having the camera that's a hard thing to prove.

Offline nafraf

« Reply #8 on: 28 / October / 2015, 21:51:03 »
And, unfortunately, it looks like the firmware update method doesn't work for the SX20.
Firmware update method is disabled in code. What is the firmware version of your sx20?

« Reply #9 on: 28 / October / 2015, 22:51:51 »
Firmware update method is disabled in code.
Did you look through the porting thread to figure out why?