ZERO POST member PRUNING - page 4 - Forum related topics (including issues) - CHDK Forum

Poll

Should zero post members (registered until Dec 2008) be pruned out of the board?

Yes
38 (71.7%)
No
15 (28.3%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: 30 / May / 2009, 06:42:35

ZERO POST member PRUNING

• 42 Replies
Re: ZERO POST member PRUNING
« Reply #30 on: 29 / May / 2009, 12:30:06 »
Advertisements
Hmmm... around 9000 members and the vote tally after a week or so is 47 votes total.  People are probably just taking extra time to consider all the issues before casting their vote ;>

In my case, I voted to prune the database for two reasons.  First, it just makes sense to me as many on the list will never come back anyway.  Others who are serious lurkers can rejoin if need be.

Second and perhaps far more important is that I am grateful that someone has taken the time to run this thing covering out of pocket costs for the benefit of the rest of us.  If that person feels the need to clean it up, I feel compelled to agree.

Was: SD1100 IS, Autobuild, V1.01a, dunked in ocean
Next: SD990 IS, Autobuild, used to build sand castles with
Waiting to die: SX230

« Reply #31 on: 29 / May / 2009, 22:04:09 »
As I said some time ago, if there's a need for someone to host chdk related stuff like this forum, I have a dedicated server with plenty of resources available and I'm willing to host it for as long as needed...

on point.. i voted yes. accounts can easily be created when needed.

« Reply #32 on: 30 / May / 2009, 18:16:59 »
Zero post and ~90 days without login user pruning is done.

Current stats are:
  • 34194 Posts in 3560 Topics by 4915 Members.
  • 810 zero post users.
  • 72 newly registered users, non-activated.
  • Full database backup is ~10mb.

Thank you for your comments.

While this all voting process was in progress, there were some parallel conversations on possible new hosts or mirrors, which I guess we should analyze.

I apologize but I'll be working on some time consuming projects these days and will be visiting just for a while, but I'll be commenting back soon.

Thanks again for reading and participating, you're the best.
Cheers

« Last Edit: 30 / May / 2009, 18:18:59 by acseven »

« Reply #33 on: 31 / May / 2009, 00:02:05 »
I feel slimmer already...  ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

« Reply #34 on: 11 / June / 2009, 10:11:16 »
Hi,
from previous posts I assume You are using Mysql DB.

A 10 MB full backup is a very small db (normally I use db > 400 MB) and I think that Your performance problem are not related to db dimension.
Probably there are queries using not indexed fields. Can You check if your keys are indexed in DB ?
I dont' think that using INNODB can change the behaviour, because it is mainly used for transaction (more secure insert, delete and alter operations).

Mysql can perform better with more RAM allocated and some change in configuration for doing this (from 10x to 100x better speed). Can You change this parameters ?

Are You sure that performance problems are related to mysql ? e.g. there are some problems in php configuration  .

If You want I can see Your logs and make an attempt to understand the problem. Contact me in PM.

Referring to original question I think that pruning a member not logging for long time can be useful (at least four or five month),
but not for zero post in a short time (three month are a very short time in real life with a family and a job....).

Regards

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #35 on: 13 / June / 2009, 14:29:35 »
i saw 1,5 gigabyte mysql database with more than 100 users working online at a courier firm, running on a single linux server (4x dual core)... it worked acceptably fast
« Last Edit: 13 / June / 2009, 15:01:18 by dzsemx »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #36 on: 13 / June / 2009, 16:38:07 »
he is NOT on a dedicated server. mind you. its a vhost shared with probably alot other websites.

« Reply #37 on: 04 / July / 2009, 23:38:01 »
I don't think so.  I think it's fair to allow people to learn.  It's likely that, even though it may take quite a while, people will eventually start to participate.

« Reply #38 on: 05 / July / 2009, 06:58:27 »
Hi,

Sorry for the delay on the replies, but I haven't really being available these last few weeks.

Full database backup is currently 80 mb (uncompressed data). So far there is no new evidence of server overload.

Cheers

« Reply #39 on: 05 / July / 2009, 17:58:51 »
Excellent! :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<