Long exposure success - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

Long exposure success

• 2 Replies

Offline zck

Long exposure success
« on: 20 / February / 2016, 23:24:38 »
Advertisements
Hi folks
I put my powershot elph110hs camera into long exposure shooting mode, and went into the CHDK settings and specified a 39 second exposure.
To my surprise it worked like a charm.
A pitch black sky became nearly white, all of the stars stood out, and the trees looked like they were photographed in the daytime.
I had been skeptical that this would work but I'm relieved to see that it turned out fine.
http://imgur.com/ym8gh5s

Re: Long exposure success
« Reply #1 on: 21 / February / 2016, 00:09:04 »
Pretty amazing what chdk opens up. My sx510 has gone from a 15s max now to over 10 minutes trouble is need to get a star tracker now lol.

Offline ShahJahan

• King Of The World
Re: Long exposure success
« Reply #2 on: 22 / February / 2016, 10:37:09 »
Excellent. If you are doing Stars, then shoot several shots (use interval.lua script) and then create a smart object and stack them Mean/Median in Photoshop. This will get rid of the noise.

If doing long exposures for cityscapes or skylines, then shoot HDR (I use 9 images shot in RAW with 1 EV spacing = +4 +3 +2 +1 0 -1 -2 -3 -4) then merge to HDR.

I just shot a super resolution photo of my city's (Mumbai's) night skyline (using this technique = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tGR-Q9Pkjc ) using my 16MP camera (PS 160IS) and resulted in a 60MP Super Resolution HDR image. It is by far the best shot I've EVER taken! I could zoom to such an extent that I never thought possible even for a DSLR!

Being Super Hi Rez, I could zoom to extreme levels
Being HDR, I could get the neon signs AND the dark buildings in the same image!
The name ShahJahan comes from Persian, where Shah means King and Jahan means World,
so the name ShahJahan in its literal sense means King of the World.