CHDK for PowerShot G1 X? - page 8 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum  

CHDK for PowerShot G1 X?

• 101 Replies
Re: CHDK for PowerShot G1 X?
« Reply #70 on: 12 / September / 2013, 15:18:58 »
Advertisements
Okay thanks for the hints. I will continue testing.
One thing I'm not quite sure about is: How do I set the script to continuous mode or to single shot mode? Do I have to set the interval time to 0, so that it immediately takes a new picture for continuous mode and otherwise it is in single shot mode?

Sorry, very stupid question... I figured it out. It's just the setting in the canon menu :)

But it's interesting: I've always shot time lapses in single shot mode. Now I tested in the continuous mode and it works perfectly.
The test I did is simple. Started the script in continuous mode. Then after a few shots I turned off the lights in my room. It detects a glitch and the first few pictures are totally black of course, but afterwards it corrects the exposure smoothly and ends at a shutter time of about 5 sec.
Then I started the script again, but this time in single shot mode (I only changed that setting in the canon menu, nothing else). I did exactly the same thing. I turned the lights off and again it detects a glitch and the next pictures are totally black, but afterwards it starts to flicker the same way as always.

So what is actually the difference between these two modes (except that you loose all pictures when you run out of power in continuous mode)?

Edit: Controlling the ND filter with the button while shooting also works fine in continuous mode, but never worked in single shot mode... I'm quite happy at this point. It all works perfectly if I select continuous mode. The question is what is the down side of using continuous mode?
« Last Edit: 12 / September / 2013, 15:46:24 by straessi »

Online philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #71 on: 12 / September / 2013, 16:02:05 »
Looks to me like the shot_histogram calculation and shot_histogram_delay are preventing CHDK from saving the DNG file before the firmware starts the process of conversion to JPEG.
That could be it, but there seems to be something different in the 101a build with exposures over 1 second in continuous mode. The shot meters aren't garbage, like a wrong raw buffer address. All 4 meters just get brighter, but their relative brightness rank to each other stays the same, like they're still reading the same picture. There are 4 meters, each measuring a different area of the picture. The brightness difference for <1 second shots and >1 second seems to be constant for an individual meter. Meter readings are in ev96. They all get brighter, but not by adding a constant ev96 value. It's looks more like the ev96 meter values are MULTIPLIED by a constant.

I'd be surprised if this was the case; but anythings possible.
Also if it was just a simple gain adjustment the image would still look correct, only brighter.

The purple tinted DNG images look like the JPEG tone curve has been applied to the RAW data. This would account for the colour tint because red and blue pixels have a different tone curve to green pixels.

It's also worth checking that all Canon options that could effect the image are disabled, things like 'Dynamic Range correction', 'Shadow Correction' and 'Safety Shift' come to mind.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

Offline lapser

« Reply #72 on: 12 / September / 2013, 21:40:57 »
Okay thanks for the hints. I will continue testing.
One thing I'm not quite sure about is: How do I set the script to continuous mode or to single shot mode? Do I have to set the interval time to 0, so that it immediately takes a new picture for continuous mode and otherwise it is in single shot mode?
You have to put the camera in continuous mode before you start the script. You do that with the camera SET button menu. I usually go through all the SET menu options before starting the script, and the all the record menu options, including turning IS off.

The script can tell what mode you're in, but it can't change it. So if the script senses you're in continuous mode, it holds the shutter down, and in single shot, it repeatedly presses the shutter for each shot, while holding half_shutter down.

Continuous mode takes about 2 shots/sec, single shot about 1/shot per second.

I just discovered that in continuous mode, the shots aren't permanently saved until you let the shutter up, or low (internal) battery shutdown. If you're using an external battery and it shuts down or gets disconnected, you lose all the shots if you're in continuous mode. I learned this the hard way when I left my SX260 out overnight looking up at the meteor shower, using an external USB power supply. I lost all those pictures when the USB power ran out.
EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos

Offline lapser

« Reply #73 on: 12 / September / 2013, 23:06:13 »
The purple tinted DNG images look like the JPEG tone curve has been applied to the RAW data. This would account for the colour tint because red and blue pixels have a different tone curve to green pixels.
That would explain the changes in meter readings. You're right that a sensor gain change would probably increase all the pixels by the same, linear amount.

I decided to test DNG file saving on my own G1X_100g in continuous mode with exposure over and under 1 second. I was surprised to see that the DNG files with 1.3 second exposure were all distorted in color, while the files with 0.8 second exposure were all normal. All my camera settings are off.

It sounds like the meter readings are correct on my G1X because I'm done computing them before the camera starts changing the raw buffer. But saving DNG files takes a lot longer, so they're always color distorted. The 101a update must start processing the raw buffer sooner for >1 second continuous mode exposures.

Phil, will you take some DNG pictures with exposure 1.3 seconds, Tv mode, continuous drive, and see if it happens on your G1X too? I hope so, because you're the one who can figure it out! Thanks.

Here's a screenshot from Lightroom of the 0.8 and 1.3 second DNG pictures (attached):

[EDIT] The color distorted DNG files were all taken at 400 ISO. When I tried it at 100 ISO, the 1.3 second DNG's were normal.
The DNG files taken by my time lapse script (Av continuous mode) were all normal, including setting the camera to 100 or 400 ISO before starting the script. The script set the exposure to 2 seconds 400 ISO, and the DNG's were normal. Setting the camera to 400 ISO (Tv 2 second continuous mode) produced all color distorted DNG.

I noticed you changed the way you find the raw buffer address recently to a table lookup instead of 2 fixed addresses. Could that be related? Maybe there's a another buffer where the raw data is processed into the jpg. The raw save routine could be picking up the address of that buffer by mistake, depending on the timing. It might be useful to display the raw buffer address (static char *rawadr) in core_spytask.
« Last Edit: 13 / September / 2013, 01:23:17 by lapser »

Online philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #74 on: 13 / September / 2013, 07:36:52 »
That would explain the changes in meter readings. You're right that a sensor gain change would probably increase all the pixels by the same, linear amount.

I decided to test DNG file saving on my own G1X_100g in continuous mode with exposure over and under 1 second. I was surprised to see that the DNG files with 1.3 second exposure were all distorted in color, while the files with 0.8 second exposure were all normal. All my camera settings are off.

It sounds like the meter readings are correct on my G1X because I'm done computing them before the camera starts changing the raw buffer. But saving DNG files takes a lot longer, so they're always color distorted. The 101a update must start processing the raw buffer sooner for >1 second continuous mode exposures.

Phil, will you take some DNG pictures with exposure 1.3 seconds, Tv mode, continuous drive, and see if it happens on your G1X too? I hope so, because you're the one who can figure it out! Thanks.

Here's a screenshot from Lightroom of the 0.8 and 1.3 second DNG pictures (attached):

[EDIT] The color distorted DNG files were all taken at 400 ISO. When I tried it at 100 ISO, the 1.3 second DNG's were normal.
The DNG files taken by my time lapse script (Av continuous mode) were all normal, including setting the camera to 100 or 400 ISO before starting the script. The script set the exposure to 2 seconds 400 ISO, and the DNG's were normal. Setting the camera to 400 ISO (Tv 2 second continuous mode) produced all color distorted DNG.

I noticed you changed the way you find the raw buffer address recently to a table lookup instead of 2 fixed addresses. Could that be related? Maybe there's a another buffer where the raw data is processed into the jpg. The raw save routine could be picking up the address of that buffer by mistake, depending on the timing. It might be useful to display the raw buffer address (static char *rawadr) in core_spytask.

I can reproduce the problem on my G1X (1.00f).

Whatever is happening it appears to be in another task (not capt_seq_task).

I don't have time to investigate any further - I would suggest using the built in RAW support instead of CHDK DNG in this case.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

Offline lapser

« Reply #75 on: 13 / September / 2013, 14:08:19 »
I can reproduce the problem on my G1X (1.00f).
Whatever is happening it appears to be in another task (not capt_seq_task).
I don't have time to investigate any further - I would suggest using the built in RAW support instead of CHDK DNG in this case.
OK, thanks Phil. If I figure anything out, I'll let you know. I was only looking at DNG files to see why my shot_meter() function was returning wrong results for straessi and messing up his sunset time lapses. I see that he was running my script in single shot mode, which brought out the problem, and the script works fine in continuous mode. So there's no urgency for me now either.

But it's interesting: I've always shot time lapses in single shot mode. Now I tested in the continuous mode and it works perfectly.
I'm really glad you tested it in single shot mode, since I haven't used single shot very much. So I tested the script on my G1X in single shot and it brings out the problem for me too!

We've defined the problem on the G1X, and figured out how to avoid it for now. It's time to move out of the G1X thread:

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8997.msg105265#msg105265

« Reply #76 on: 22 / April / 2017, 18:53:16 »
New user here, excited to try ptp with multiple cameras.
I tested two G1x (101a and 100e) with usb switch in sync mode and found it was not very reliable, crashing fairly often.
The romlog file is attached.
I am surprised that no one has reported this problem.

Do you know if there is any way of fixing it ?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: 23 / April / 2017, 13:14:57 by Voy2 »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #77 on: 22 / April / 2017, 20:24:04 »
New user here, excited to try ptp with multiple cameras.
I tested two G1x (101a and 100e) with usb switch in sync mode and found it was not very reliable, crashing fairly often.
The romlog file is attached.
I am surprised that no one has reported this problem.

Do you know if there is any way of fixing it ?
It would be helpful to have a bit more information:

1) What CHDK settings remote settings are being used
2) When does the crash occur? e.g. when you start the shot, just randomly, when the picture is saving...
3) Does it happen on both cameras, or just one?
4) What canon shooting mode and settings are you using (e.g. P, M, Auto), manual focus, auto focus etc.
5) Are you using both PTP and the USB remote? If so, does the crash also happen when using the USB remote alone?

The romlog you posted is a crash in Canon code, task "MotionVector0" in a file called ChaseFrame.c, which based on the names is probably related to Canon subject detection / tracking. CHDK doesn't modify this task, but it's possible that the remote code interferes with it. You might try turning of Canon features like face detect and continuous autofocus.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #78 on: 23 / April / 2017, 03:56:42 »

Enable remote = Yes
Switch type = OnePush
Control Mode = Normal
Enable synch = Yes
Synch delay = NO, 100

2) When does the crash occur? e.g. when you start the shot, just randomly, when the picture is saving...

While switch is pressed,screen blanked and camera waiting for switch release.

Both, except it does not happen if a camera is upside down !

4) What canon shooting mode and settings are you using (e.g. P, M, Auto), manual focus, auto focus etc.

'Tv' mode,autofocus.

5) Are you using both PTP and the USB remote?

No, I have not used PTP yet.

You might try turning of Canon features like face detect and continuous autofocus.

They are both off.

I researched 'ChaseFrame.c' and found the following, very interesting link :-

https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8243.msg86889#msg86889

Based on that and other information I tried pointing the camera at a mirror.
It crashed every time except when camera was upside down !
Seems to be the same problem, maybe zeroing the face-detect magic number will fix ?

Thanks.

Voy2
« Last Edit: 23 / April / 2017, 04:27:32 by Voy2 »

« Reply #79 on: 23 / April / 2017, 08:50:48 »
Enable remote = Yes
Switch type = OnePush
Control Mode = Normal
Enable synch = Yes
Synch delay = NO, 100
What happens if you do not set Enable Sync [  ] ?  Does it still crash?  If not, that narrows things down to one small piece of code.

While switch is pressed,screen blanked and camera waiting for switch release.
Both, except it does not happen if a camera is upside down !
It would be interesting to know if the upside down camera actually attempts to "sync".  Press and hold the switch for a couple of seconds and observe the camera closely.  Does the screen on the upside down one go blank while the switch is pressed or does it stay active?

Seems to be the same problem, maybe zeroing the face-detect magic number will fix ?
Most likely unrelated.  The ROMLOG.LOG is useful but not perfect.  When things crash, they often do so by also making other things crash.  If you repeat your test and dump the rom log each time, is the first line in the log always the same?  And does the time stamp in the second line change each time?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16