CHDK for PowerShot G1 X? - page 3 - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDK for PowerShot G1 X?

• 101 Replies
Re: CHDK for PowerShot G1 X?
« Reply #20 on: 05 / July / 2012, 15:44:20 »
Advertisements
I would love to have the capability of getting AUTO ISO to greater than 3200 maybe to 6400 or 12800.  Is this Possible?

My biggest complaints with the G1X that I think CHDK could solve if the bugs could be worked out . . .

1.) Switch between standard focus distance and macro focus distance should be automatic in P, Av, Tv, and M modes and I want to shoot Raw.

WHY) Standard focus distance is extremely limited on the short end.  I cannot take pictures of someone on the other side of a table without switching to Macro!

FIX) Use Auto Mode on camera and create Raw using CHDK.  The focus distance switches automatically in AUTO mode.

2.) Allow AUTO ISO max to 6400 or 12800.

WHY)  Canon G1X output is still useable into very high ISO values.  Shame to waste this ability.  The Physical Dedicated ISO dial is GONE on the G1X.

FIX) Modify CHDK to allow greater than 3200 in Auto Iso.

3.)  AUTO EXPOSURE (ISO, Aperture, Speed) Good Behavior

WHY)  G1X Exposure behavior doesn't make alot of sense.  There are three setting for Auto ISO behavior.  Low Standard and High speed of change.  None follows a great pattern. Speeds can be as high as 1/800 while ISO might be set to 800 in bright light.  Conversely in dark light it will shoot 1/30 and be in ISO 800.  I would rather the first instance to be shot at 1/100 ISO 100 and the second at 1/60 ISO 1600 (not including the expanded Auto ISO range that CHDK gives).

FIX)  Looks Like CHDK has this mostly covered.  Set the Aperture and Speed overide and allow ISO to change automatically.  Perfect behavior in my mind would be at one focal length A and S stay constant up to the max and min ISO and then a choice to increase/decrease speed, increase/decrease aperture, increase/decrease both, set in CHDK parameters.  Beyond this, choice for variance or not of A and S based on focal length. i.e. at 100mm 1/100sec at 50mm 1/50sec varying linearly or change aperture linearly.

Over the next week, I will be testing these with the latest CHDK and report back how CHDK responds to the above situations.

What are other people using this camera experiencing as far as constraints?

« Reply #21 on: 05 / July / 2012, 16:01:57 »
P.S.  I am running 1.00G

Re: CHDK for PowerShot G1X?
« Reply #22 on: 22 / August / 2012, 12:25:39 »
Hi,
Anything happening on the G1X front?  This is a very interesting and expensive (for a Powershot) camera.  I am considering it and want to know how well CHDK is working for it.  This thread is very short (compared to porting threads for other cameras) which leads me to guess that not much is working yet for the G1X.  What about edge overlay, motion detection, etc.

My interest is in being able to read and modify the viewport images.  It is tricky to figure out the addresses needed in all modes and I am not sure that I have the ability to figure this out alone.
Can it be that the porting was done without many people in the CHDK community actually having the camera?

By the way the name of this thread should be changed so searches for "G1X" will find it.

Jon

« Reply #23 on: 22 / August / 2012, 13:50:24 »
This thread is very short (compared to porting threads for other cameras) which leads me to guess that not much is working yet for the G1X. 
It's short because philmoz did the port so it required very little "fooling around" or any of the other problems newbies run into doing their first port.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #24 on: 08 / September / 2012, 12:41:41 »
I just got my G1X and am very happy that CHDK works so well on it.  No problems yet to report.  I am also happy that the jpeg super fine override works for this camera as it does for my G12.  Strange for Canon to hide that option in these flagship models.  I am a little disappointed that the resolution of the LCD is the same as G12, just the pixels are bigger.  This is similar to what Canon did with the A2000 compared to the A720.  Same resolution, bigger pixels.
What a pain that the battery size is smaller than my G12.  A very stupid choice in my opinion.  The camera is already a heavy brick.  Making it slightly bigger so it could use the same battery as the G12 would not have been noticeable.  From what I have read it needs the larger battery.

Would be interesting to have a CHDK battery saver mode that sets options for longest battery life.

Jon

« Reply #25 on: 09 / September / 2012, 16:21:04 »
Would be interesting to have a CHDK battery saver mode that sets options for longest battery life.
When running scripts, the only functions that seem to make much difference are these :

turn off backlight :  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Script_commands#set_backlight.28.29

go to playback mode when not shooting : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Script_commands#set_record.28state.29

ultimate power saving : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_scripting#shut_down

Otherwise the power-off options in the Canon menus are probably your only other option.

Offline lapser

« Reply #26 on: 10 / September / 2012, 19:33:46 »
I shot 650 pictures in 2 hours on one battery (still 40% charge left) last night. I left the backlight on so I could see what was happening, but you should get 3 or 4 hours when it's off.  I kept focus locked and didn't change the aperture, which should save power too.  I added this to my script:

function restore()
  set_backlight(1)
  print(os.date())
end

function sleeper(stime) -- replace your sleep calls with sleeper after taking a shot
  set_backlight(b) -- b is a param you set to 0 for off, 1 for on
  sleep(stime)
end

I also bought a power supply with a dummy battery for about $15 on Amazon that can power the camera as long as you want.  I'm thinking of hooking it up to an 8.4 volt external battery assuming the Canon voltage regulator can handle it, so I'm not tied to 120volts. Extra batteries are only about $15 also, so the small battery should be a small problem.

Just finished the time lapse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYwcBKNGptE#ws
EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos

« Reply #27 on: 10 / September / 2012, 19:46:54 »
I shot 650 pictures in 2 hours on one battery (still 40% charge left) last night.
Wow - much better than my cameras. Maybe the G1X is not such a battery hog after all?

I'm thinking of hooking it up to an 8.4 volt external battery assuming the Canon voltage regulator can handle it, so I'm not tied to 120volts.
The Canon GX1 battery is rated at 7.4V.    Even if I could afford a GX1,  I'm not so sure I'd take the chance.

Offline lapser

« Reply #28 on: 10 / September / 2012, 20:05:41 »
Wow - much better than my cameras. Maybe the G1X is not such a battery hog after all?
I think it does much better running on a script with review off and the backlight turned down all the way, or off. Also, manual mode takes less power not having to focus or change aperture. I'll test it with the backlight off overnight and see how long it goes.
The Canon GX1 battery is rated at 7.4V.    Even if I could afford a GX1,  I'm not so sure I'd take the chance.
I'll run it by an engineer friend of mine who designs this kind of thing, but I think fully charged batteries can put out an extra 1volt, so I think it's OK. I love the smell of burning circuit boards in the morning!
EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos

« Reply #29 on: 10 / September / 2012, 20:27:56 »
I'll run it by an engineer friend of mine who designs this kind of thing, but I think fully charged batteries can put out an extra 1volt, so I think it's OK. I love the smell of burning circuit boards in the morning!
Speaking as an engineer who used to do "these kind of things",  I'd put a couple of cheap 1N2001 to 1N2004 type diodes in series with your external battery to drop the voltage a bit when the camera is actually drawing current.  YMMV.