Poor battery life with CHDK? - page 4 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Poor battery life with CHDK?

• 35 Replies
Re: Poor battery life with CHDK?
« Reply #30 on: 10 / March / 2009, 18:48:24 »
Advertisements
I now have a recommendation :-

Yesterday I drove from one end of England to the other... A set of duracell that were already in my a570 gave me about 800 shots on a timelapse script with the LCD turned off. I got another 3400 shots from 2 "ENERGIZER ULTIMATE LITHIUM DIGITAL" batteries and they are not even registering as used on the camera. Oddly, I didn't even turn the LCD of for that. These batteries rock. The have a quaint little leaflet with them that promises me at least 630 shots. I'm Uber-happy.

See the results on my blog here :- http://blog.global6.net/julesd/index.php?/archives/184-Driving-from-Barrow-in-Furness-to-Tooting-Timelapse.html

Offline dennisfox74

• Canon A550, Canon SX10-IS
« Reply #31 on: 11 / March / 2009, 02:56:09 »
Yeah, the 8X version of those is the same battery that I use, and they're incredible. :)  still, I do like the idea of rechargeable.  Too bad  they don't make rechargeable lithiums in that size.  Best of both worlds.
Photography is the art, of making a fraction of a second, last forever.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #32 on: 12 / March / 2009, 13:46:16 »
I got another 3400 shots from 2 "ENERGIZER ULTIMATE LITHIUM DIGITAL" batteries and they are not even registering as used on the camera.

Those AA size Lithium cells have higher voltage compared to regular alkalines and a lot higher than NiMH, which probably fools the battery warning. I've never tried a pair, but don't be surprised if they end up being registered as empty-ish very little before the camera shuts down.

« Reply #33 on: 12 / March / 2009, 18:15:34 »
I'm more than happy for them to last long and then suddenly drop off... I'm gearing up for some KAP photos i'd rather have 6 hrs and instant fade than 1 hr and gradual... they are the best i've used but then I am obviously not that concerned about how well they last in stand by or with a flash.

Offline dennisfox74

• Canon A550, Canon SX10-IS
« Reply #34 on: 12 / March / 2009, 20:44:03 »

Those AA size Lithium cells have higher voltage compared to regular alkalines and a lot higher than NiMH, which probably fools the battery warning. I've never tried a pair, but don't be surprised if they end up being registered as empty-ish very little before the camera shuts down.

Yeah, they almost always give only a short warning before going dead, but that's just kinda' the nature of the beast.  Their long life more than makes up for any misgivings about their short warning time. 
Photography is the art, of making a fraction of a second, last forever.

MrSpoon

« Reply #35 on: 18 / April / 2009, 13:58:38 »
I get about 15 minutes on standard alkaline batteries.  I thought it was really short too, so I actually exchanged the camera when I first noticed that (about 2 hours after buying it), and the replacement camera did the same thing.  I put a set of 2500mAh rechargeables in the same camera, and got about the same result life wise give or take a few minutes.

I know this has been discussed at length, I just thought I'd add that roughly speaking, if those batteries really were using up 2500mAh of charge in 15 minutes, that'd be a current draw of 10 amps. That'd be one hot camera ;)

As I'm sure you know, battery voltage is a poor indicator of actual charge.