Endless continuous/burst mode via remote - how many FPS? (no video) - page 2 - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum  

Endless continuous/burst mode via remote - how many FPS? (no video)

• 16 Replies

Online reyalp

Re: Endless continuous/burst mode via remote - how many FPS? (no video)
« Reply #10 on: 14 / August / 2014, 22:31:12 »
Advertisements
Not clear to me that would work.   Can you hang things in one of the shooting hooks waiting for the 5V to assert (or return immediately if it has) ?
I mean using the normal remote sync. E.g. if you your camera can shoot at 1 FPS in continuous mode, hold the shutter down have your external device momentarily drop the 5V every 1.1 seconds.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #11 on: 14 / August / 2014, 22:34:06 »
Not clear to me that would work.   Can you hang things in one of the shooting hooks waiting for the 5V to assert (or return immediately if it has) ?
I mean using the normal remote sync. E.g. if you your camera can shoot at 1 FPS in continuous mode, hold the shutter down have your external device momentarily drop the 5V every 1.1 seconds.
That will work as long as the next shot gets back around in under 1.0999 seconds ....
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Online reyalp

« Reply #12 on: 14 / August / 2014, 22:57:10 »
That will work as long as the next shot gets back around in under 1.0999 seconds ....
Yeah, it would be a trade between how fast you can shoot, and how often you miss shots. If a shot was slow I think you'd just miss that shot and pick up the next one.

If you wanted feedback to know when the cameras were ready, you could use the shutter shoot hook (which runs right before the USB remote) to turn on an LED I guess.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #13 on: 15 / August / 2014, 15:38:34 »
It would be interesting to hear what the SDM "guys" proposed to do for you.

I was quite skeptical - at first look the project looked almost like an abandoned or a dead one - pretty static web page with old graphics, most of the camera models listed as supported not being sold anymore etc. Also, no real open sourced development with current TRUNK code being publicly accessible, only older releases... However after little research I found out SDM is quite active under the hood - responsive mailing list and the main developer (David), of course there are few current cameras being supported, only the compatibility lists are outdated so one has to ask for more information in the mailing list.

Regarding how they helped me - well, it was enough to find the project is alive :) and few current cameras are supported. Since I need about 10 FPS and am happy with FullHD resolution I am about to realize synced video may be a decent way to go for my requirements. Probably much better than trying to squeeze many FPS from a continuous shooting mode of P&S camera for the same price. Considering the GPS sync - I will probably not need a very high sync accuracy at fist because I will use simple GPS (no RTK or DGPS signal corrections) so I will only log GPS position with timestamps along while syncing at the start of video capture.

stay with a GPL compliment open source solution if that is important to you?

I do not understand what you mean here. Do you say SDM is not GPL compliant? 1.85 has a GPL license in its distribution... Maybe you mean David might not always distribute source along with 1.86 testing binaries that he sends to people for beta-testing of new camera models?

« Reply #14 on: 15 / August / 2014, 16:03:33 »
Can I ask what your understanding is of sync'd video in SDM and what you think it will do for you?

« Reply #15 on: 15 / August / 2014, 16:38:42 »
They do frame synchronization for video for multiple cameras. Is that what you ask for? Not many people may be actually aware of this feature, I am not sure but it probably is new to the officially "unreleased" 1.86 versions. I need stereo sync, I dont mind if that is a video or stills given both have reasonable FPS.

« Reply #16 on: 15 / August / 2014, 17:27:44 »
They do frame synchronization for video for multiple cameras. Is that what you ask for?
Sort of.  I was wondering how you will sync that with the rest of your system?

Not many people may be actually aware of this feature, I am not sure but it probably is new to the officially "unreleased" 1.86 versions.
There are a few people who know about the feature.

Most of the (still uncredited) history is here from over a year ago if you are interested in the details:
Re: testing sync among more cameras
sync'ing 3D video

I need stereo sync, I dont mind if that is a video or stills given both have reasonable FPS.
You probably want to test how reliably video sync can be started every time, and how long it stays in sync relative to the needs of your application.  If it works for you, it sounds like a good low cost solution.