Does auto focus lock also lock exposure - page 2 - LUA Scripting - CHDK Forum

Does auto focus lock also lock exposure

• 28 Replies
Re: Does auto focus lock also lock exposure
« Reply #10 on: 03 / April / 2017, 13:24:36 »
Advertisements
I can check the remote settings on Wednesday. Is there a way to get the settings out of the camera into a file somehow?

I'll use attached files in the future.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #11 on: 03 / April / 2017, 16:10:59 »
I can check the remote settings on Wednesday. Is there a way to get the settings out of the camera into a file somehow?
Not  simple one. You could take a picture with another camera, but there's only 6 settings in the remote menu.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #12 on: 03 / April / 2017, 16:34:47 »
Not  simple one. You could take a picture with another camera, but there's only 6 settings in the remote menu.
If he posts his CCHDK4.CFG file it should be easy to check using Zeno's offline editor?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #13 on: 05 / April / 2017, 05:12:11 »
Here are the two remote menu settings from the two cameras:

Offline reyalp

« Reply #14 on: 05 / April / 2017, 13:05:04 »
Here are the two remote menu settings from the two cameras:
The differences in "switch type" and "control mode" probably explains the different behavior.

In the case where they aren't set to "none" the remote is generating shutter key presses, so the script isn't actually holding half press.

The script could probably be simplified if you want to use it this way, but if does what you want on the ixus65, there's a fair chance that using the same settings on the new camera will work as well.

« Reply #15 on: 05 / April / 2017, 13:25:43 »
Okay, so, if I set the remote settings equal, I should get the AFL to manage focus, and full press each time should allow for each exposure to be based on lighting.

I'll try that soon, and report back what I find.

Many thanks!

« Reply #16 on: 05 / April / 2017, 16:29:14 »
The differences in "switch type" and "control mode" probably explains the different behavior. In the case where they aren't set to "none" the remote is generating shutter key presses, so the script isn't actually holding half press.
Hmmmmmm...

Going from memory, the USB remote functionality for switch type and control mode should be inoperative when a script is running.  Or at least I think that's what I tried to implement at the time. 

I also think the sync setting is active, although there may have needed additional setup in the script.
« Last Edit: 05 / April / 2017, 16:31:44 by waterwingz »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #17 on: 05 / April / 2017, 17:16:46 »
Going from memory, the USB remote functionality for switch type and control mode should be inoperative when a script is running.  Or at least I think that's what I tried to implement at the time. 
I admit I didn't dig through the code... but for exposure to update, half press must be released somewhere.

I also think the sync setting is active, although there may have needed additional setup in the script.
You're right, I missed that.

@heikkiH I'd suggest making all the settings the same. However, if it works it's a coincidence of overlapping bugs in poorly defined behaviors.

« Reply #18 on: 05 / April / 2017, 19:08:03 »
I admit I didn't dig through the code... but for exposure to update, half press must be released somewhere.
Just did some testing and also looked at the code.  When a script is running, the built-in USB remote input functions are ignored. So the solution to why exposure is updating does not seem to reside there.

You're right, I missed that.
@heikkiH I'd suggest making all the settings the same.
However, if it works it's a coincidence of overlapping bugs in poorly defined behaviors.
We added the usb_sync_wait() function to enable scripts to shoot "sync'd".  While this can get complicated, I'm not so sure I'd call it "poorly defined behaviors".

Offline reyalp

« Reply #19 on: 05 / April / 2017, 23:34:58 »
We added the usb_sync_wait() function to enable scripts to shoot "sync'd".  While this can get complicated, I'm not so sure I'd call it "poorly defined behaviors".
I was not specifically referring to the sync setting. What I meant was the script as written should behave as it does on the camera that isn't "working". The fact that it "works" on the other camera must be due to bugs or some unforeseen behavior.