Cannot load script IXUS860IS - Script Writing - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Cannot load script IXUS860IS

• 9 Replies
Cannot load script IXUS860IS
« on: 18 / November / 2013, 17:22:17 »
Advertisements
I have a Canon IXUS860IS. It boots CHDK and I can enter CHDK menus etc. However, when I try to load a script called meteor.lua (a timelapse script found on this site) via the ALT / MENU / Script (program your camera) menu I cannot see any files listed. The .lua file is on the disk under CHDK script folder (I have verified that with Wasp and checking via file manager in Windows)

I have CHDK v 1.2.0-3233 installed for the 860.
I have also tested the File Browser and it behaves similar: no files are listed.

I have a SD card with two partitions. The wasp software readily switches partitions.
The card is locked when i boot CHDK.

What am I doing wrong?

Offline srsa_4c

Re: Cannot load script IXUS860IS
« Reply #1 on: 18 / November / 2013, 17:59:12 »
I have a Canon IXUS860IS. It boots CHDK and I can enter CHDK menus etc. However, when I try to load a script called meteor.lua (a timelapse script found on this site) via the ALT / MENU / Script (program your camera) menu I cannot see any files listed. The .lua file is on the disk under CHDK script folder (I have verified that with Wasp and checking via file manager in Windows)

I have CHDK v 1.2.0-3233 installed for the 860.
I have also tested the File Browser and it behaves similar: no files are listed.

I have a SD card with two partitions.
The camera - and CHDK - only sees the bigger partition once it has started, you need to extract all files from the distribution archive to the bigger partition (actually, diskboot.bin and maybe ps.fi2 is not needed there, but their presence doesn't hurt). When you add scripts, add them to the large partition.

« Reply #2 on: 19 / November / 2013, 06:17:37 »
Hi it still doesnt see the script.

I have these partitions

Drive G: 16GB
    writable with two partitions
    bootable FAT16

Partition  1: CANON860
         size=64MB
         format=FAT16

Partition  2:
         size=15206MB
         format=FAT32

I have added the whole CHDK tree to both partitions. Also the lua script is in both partitions. Still no luck. CHDK boots but file browser doesnt work and I cannot see the meteor.lua script when i try to select the script.

Is it correct to have a FAT 32 partition on the IXUS860 or may that be the problem (can the IXUS860 camera see a FAT 32 partition?)

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #3 on: 19 / November / 2013, 12:37:32 »
Hi it still doesnt see the script.

I have added the whole CHDK tree to both partitions. Also the lua script is in both partitions. Still no luck. CHDK boots but file browser doesnt work and I cannot see the meteor.lua script when i try to select the script.
If the file browser doesn't even start, that means CHDK doesn't see some or all files. Several people reported similar problems, and things usually started to work after the card's low level format.
Now I see: this port doesn't have multi partition support, this is noted on its wikia page: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/SD870IS
Are you willing to test if somebody decides to implement this support?

Is it correct to have a FAT 32 partition on the IXUS860 or may that be the problem (can the IXUS860 camera see a FAT 32 partition?)
AFAIK all Canon compacts support FAT32 since more than a decade.

« Reply #4 on: 19 / November / 2013, 13:12:17 »
Hi.

Do I need to only have one FAT32 partition on the card is that what you indicate? (I am a complete CHDK novice). How would you suggest I fix it?

I checked out the wiki portion that covers the 860. I didnt see any thing related to this particular problem.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #5 on: 19 / November / 2013, 13:48:28 »
Do I need to only have one FAT32 partition on the card is that what you indicate? (I am a complete CHDK novice). How would you suggest I fix it?
You have several options.
- If you're fine with starting CHDK manually (via "firm update") each time you switch on the camera, then you only need a single FAT32 partition on the card.
- You can also format cards not larger than 4GB to FAT16, and use CHDK autoboot.
- If you want autoboot AND use a large card, you need CHDK's partition support.

I think I found two missing lines of code that prevents partition support from working on this cam. I'll prepare a test build, so you can test (and hopefully report) whether partition support is working.

« Reply #6 on: 19 / November / 2013, 13:52:14 »
I will be more than happy to test and report back.  The card I have is quite large but that is convenient for long time lapse sequences and some video tests.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #7 on: 19 / November / 2013, 14:03:10 »
I have not verified all needed code, so it may still have problems.
Test build is attached. You only need the diskboot.bin file, copy it to the small FAT16 partition. I'm assuming the card is bootable and is locked by the plastic switch.

edit:
test build removed
« Last Edit: 04 / April / 2015, 12:47:47 by srsa_4c »

« Reply #8 on: 19 / November / 2013, 15:49:10 »
I copied ONLY the DISKBOOT.BIN file you posted to the root of the small partition. I overwrote the old one. The new one was slightly smaller than the old one.

Still no luck.

The camera boots, but can not see any files when I enter the script menu or the file browser.

Info: I deleted all files on the large partition while the card was mounted in the reader on my XP PC, but it seems the CHDK folder was written back onto the large partition again (by either the camera or the WASP Java software...).

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #9 on: 19 / November / 2013, 17:07:02 »
I copied ONLY the DISKBOOT.BIN file you posted to the root of the small partition. I overwrote the old one. The new one was slightly smaller than the old one.

Still no luck.

The camera boots, but can not see any files when I enter the script menu or the file browser.
Try re-doing the whole CHDK install by using STICK. You may have to format the card in camera before (of course back up the files you want to keep). When STICK has finished the install, replace diskboot.bin again. This should rule out card or filesystem corruption (the camera is more sensitive to those than the PC). If you get the file browser to load after the STICK install, that means CHDK successfully switched to the large partition.

Info: I deleted all files on the large partition while the card was mounted in the reader on my XP PC, but it seems the CHDK folder was written back onto the large partition again (by either the camera or the WASP Java software...).
CHDK re-creates a bunch of directories when it starts.

If anyone else is looking at this, the change I did is this:
Code: [Select]
Index: platform/ixus860_sd870/platform_camera.h
===================================================================
--- platform/ixus860_sd870/platform_camera.h (revision 3238)
+++ platform/ixus860_sd870/platform_camera.h (working copy)
@@ -35,6 +35,7 @@
     #define CAM_HAS_HI_ISO_AUTO_MODE        1
     #define CAM_SHOW_OSD_IN_SHOOT_MENU      1
     #undef  CAM_VIDEO_CONTROL
+    #define CAM_MULTIPART                   1

#define CAM_DNG_LENS_INFO               { 46,10, 173,10, 28,10, 58,10 } // See comments in camera.h
     // pattern
Index: platform/ixus860_sd870/sub/100c/boot.c
===================================================================
--- platform/ixus860_sd870/sub/100c/boot.c (revision 3238)
+++ platform/ixus860_sd870/sub/100c/boot.c (working copy)
@@ -1807,6 +1807,9 @@
  "MOV R0, R8\n"
  "BL sub_FF9186B8\n" // Add FAT32 autodetect-code after this line

+        "MOV   R1, R4\n"           //  pointer to MBR in R1
+        "BL    mbr_read_dryos\n"   //  total sectors count in R0 before and after call
+
         // Start of DataGhost's FAT32 autodetection code
         // Policy: If there is a partition which has type W95 FAT32, use the first one of those for image storage
         // According to the code below, we can use R1, R2, R3 and R12.