stop motion animation with Powershot SX210is? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

stop motion animation with Powershot SX210is?

• 3 Replies
stop motion animation with Powershot SX210is?
« on: 06 / November / 2011, 05:40:30 »
Advertisements
Hello, and just a note to say I am a complete novice at posting and at using the CHDK so apologies for any failures of protocol etc on my part.
Thanks and great respect to everyone involved in the CHDK project.
I have got the CHDK working on my Powershot SX210is and all seems to be fine though I haven't yet tried any of the wonderful things it enables my camera to do.
What I would like to be able to do is use my camera with an animation program such as Stopmotion Pro or Monkeycam etc. IE: capturing through the program like you can with a web-cam. Seems Canon decided to take away that facility for reasons of their own.
I'm using Windows XP and / or Ubuntu 11.10.
Thank you.

Re: stop motion animation with Powershot SX210is?
« Reply #1 on: 07 / November / 2011, 15:55:34 »
Hello and welcome.

With the PTP feature, one of the so-called 'client' programmes available for CHDK can download each image to a particular folder from where your animation programme could access them.

Would that work ?

David

« Reply #2 on: 01 / December / 2011, 16:07:17 »
Hello David, and thank you for your suggestion.
That would work I think. There are some Canon cameras that can be controlled by the animation software via USB, so you're seeing the shot in real-time on your monitor. Also, things like 'onion-skinning' can be very useful when moving the object you're animating.
Unfortunately, Canon has disabled that on this model, in favour of some very dubious features. I'm sure it's a very good camera, and it's made even better with the CHDK, but for what I want it's a disappointment.
I haven't tried triggering the camera with the CHDK and a USB remote cable, as described on this site, but that could be a way to go.
For now it's back to the web-cam for my animating efforts.
Thanks again,
Steve

« Reply #3 on: 01 / December / 2011, 17:18:49 »
Maybe instead of onion-skinning you'd like to use 'Edge overlay'? Search for it on wiki;)
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick