Hardware UART - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum  

Hardware UART

• 3 Replies
Hardware UART
« on: 04 / August / 2011, 02:46:55 »
Advertisements
Hi ,

these days I got the idea, almost every modern device have a serial console (like router, mobile phones, nas,...). So why not a digital camera.

Ok, I saw Pixeldoc2000 already did a great job. For testing I solder the serial wires to a old Ixus30 and it works well.

So, I'm wondering if it may possilbe to get access to this serial port using CHDK. Set communication paramter  e.g. 9600,1,N.

I thought it would be nice to control serial devices via this serial port. Stuff like BTM222 (Bluetooth), EM-406A GPS-Modul, IO-Extender, LCD-Display, ...

Are there already some afforts done? Is it possible so far? Are there any limitations due the OS (DryOS, VxWorks).

I would be glad to get some answers.

..::T3::..

Re: Hardware UART
« Reply #1 on: 04 / August / 2011, 15:53:01 »
Hi,

well I did some comparison

This is the Event Shell without CHDK:

Code: [Select]
#
Change Console Event[1]>...

Event[1]>

And this is with CDHK:

Code: [Select]
#
 v(^-^)v********* Starting Diskboot *********v(^-^)v

Starting downloaded Firmware

v(^-^)v********* Starting Diskboot *********v(^-^)v
 o(T-T)o**** Diskboot file is not found *****o(T-T)o

Change Console Event[1]>...

Event[1]>

I searched the trunk for the additional text strings without success. Who knows where to find this part of code?

THX

..::T3::..

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 05 / August / 2011, 00:18:50 »
I searched the trunk for the additional text strings without success. Who knows where to find this part of code?
These strings are produced by the canon firmware, not CHDK. Note the "diskboot file is not found" appears in the CHDK example because the camera reboots into the CHDK diskboot, and then CHDK diskboot hides itself from the rest of the OS. Otherwise you'd get a reboot loop.

If you want re-purpose the UART, you will have to do quite a bit of reverse engineering. However, using a vxworks cameras should make this a lot easier. You can find vxworks developer documentation on google. This will have a lot of information about writing/ hooking device drivers and serial communications.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 05 / August / 2011, 02:02:06 »
Ok, this explains why I can't find anything...

At the moment  I'm using a IXUS40 1.00k for my experliments.

I'll give a try...