The Future of CHDK and the M Mount - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

The Future of CHDK and the M Mount

• 2 Replies
The Future of CHDK and the M Mount
« on: 21 / October / 2023, 03:46:16 »
Advertisements

@reyalp or any other person

A rather ‘silly’ question, but I was wondering what the future looks like regarding seeing CHDK in other M mount cams.

Now Canon has announced there is no future for the M mount, are there any developers that see a dual-pixel Cam, say the M6 Mk II,having CHDK at some time in the future?

I just was interested in your thoughts/insight.

Cheers

Garry

Offline reyalp

Re: The Future of CHDK and the M Mount
« Reply #1 on: 21 / October / 2023, 04:10:53 »
Now Canon has announced there is no future for the M mount, are there any developers that see a dual-pixel Cam, say the M6 Mk II,having CHDK at some time in the future?
CHDK is unlikely to ever support any cameras with Digic 8 or later processors. The underlying firmware is quite different and anyone developing a firmware mod for them would almost certainly be better off starting from the Magic Lantern codebase. So after the M3, M10 and partial M100 port, AFAIK the only additional EOS M cams CHDK might reasonably support in the future are the original (Mk I) M5 and M6.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Re: The Future of CHDK and the M Mount
« Reply #2 on: 21 / October / 2023, 04:20:29 »
CHDK is unlikely to ever support any cameras with Digic 8 or later processors. The underlying firmware is quite different and anyone developing a firmware mod for them would almost certainly be better off starting from the Magic Lantern codebase. So after the M3, M10 and partial M100 port, AFAIK the only additional EOS M cams CHDK might reasonably support in the future are the original (Mk I) M5 and M6.

Sadly that’s what I thought you may say.

From a photographer’s perspective all is not lost, as Cams such as the M6 Mk II, have many inbuilt features that ML and CHDK originally covered in Cams that didn’t, back then, have such features, eg: LV histogram, bracketing, etc.

Plus the dual pixel Cams can exploit software such as DPRSplit, to ‘gain’ a stop of highlight clipping insurance, thus supporting those that shoot using ETTR.

Cheers

Garry