KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 17 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum  

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies
Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #160 on: 06 / May / 2014, 18:37:01 »
Advertisements
Today I have done 2 flights using the same value for shutter speed but using different values for ISO ( I am working to find the best camera settings).

After the flights while looking at the pictures I observed that the pictures from the second flight are more blurry , the reason could be the weird value for shutter speed from the KAP log (the value is totally different from my settings, I have as target 1/1600 and the pictures are at 1/320 for example).
Your first flight had the ISO2 limit set to 800 while second flight had the ISO2 limit set to 200.  This forced lower shutter speeds on the second flight and thus the blurring.

You might want to increase ISO2 back to 800 and maybe also set the minTV value to something like 1/800 or 1/1000 for UAV shooting.  This might give underexposed pictures but will help prevent blurring on dull days.

Is there any relation between ISO target values and Shutter speed target values (one of the parameters has "priority" comparing with the other one?).
Full documentation here : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/KAP_UAV_Exposure_Control_Script#Calculation_Algorithm
« Last Edit: 06 / May / 2014, 18:45:40 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #161 on: 09 / May / 2014, 19:03:37 »

Hi waterwingz

Thanks for you contribution. I was using your kap_uav.lua with my fix wing to take some point down picture. But I feel there is some strange behave and some point need improve.

My camera is elph320 hs.

TV min 640, target 1000, max 2000
F min 2.8, target 4, max 8
ISO min 80 max1 400 max2 800
AFL mode

1. My flight was 300 meter high. Some picture are good, more are not good. Bad picture looks like has focus problem.

My wing is kind of stable while flying, maybe bank and pitch in 5 degree. My camera is not in perfect status because was a hard crash before. But taking picture in the ground is normal.

Is that possible camera focus ability has problem, maybe focus lock time is too long  ? How to verified it ? That bank and pitch should not cause the problem right, because shutter was really fast at 1000.

2 USB control is really working great, but the problem is the time, when I trigger it, it took 6 second to be ready for another trigger, before that if you trigger it, it just been ignored. How can I improve it ? Because if I put intervalometer camera can the picture in 3 second fastest.

Thank you so much for help me, I have been fight with camera for a long time, really hard to tune it good. Please give me some help.

I will upload the log shortly
Thanks you.

« Reply #162 on: 09 / May / 2014, 20:57:23 »
But I feel there is some strange behave and some point need improve.
Okay .. let's take a look.

My camera is elph320 hs.
Thanks for that.  It would be good to know what version of CHDK you are using, and the version of the script.

TV min 640, target 1000, max 2000
F min 2.8, target 4, max 8
ISO min 80 max1 400 max2 800
AFL mode
Looks pretty reasonable.

1. My flight was 300 meter high. Some picture are good, more are not good. Bad picture looks like has focus problem.
Hmmm ... so most likely causes are either low shutter speed, bad focus, UAV vibration,  or earthquakes.

My wing is kind of stable while flying, maybe bank and pitch in 5 degree. My camera is not in perfect status because was a hard crash before. But taking picture in the ground is normal.
Sound like you should be okay then.  Hard crashes really suck though - kind of like watching $100 bills burn in a bucket.

Is that possible camera focus ability has problem, maybe focus lock time is too long  ? How to verified it ?
The script locks the focus prior to the first shot.  It should not change after that, so focus lock time or focus ability should be "all good" or "all bad".  Unless the camera actually failed to lock focus that is.  Need to see the script log.

How to verified it ?
Let's start with the script log file?  Please post it here.

That bank and pitch should not cause the problem right, because shutter was really fast at 1000.
Shutter speed at 1/1000 is probably the minimum you want to use.  Faster would be better.

2 USB control is really working great, but the problem is the time, when I trigger it, it took 6 second to be ready for another trigger, before that if you trigger it, it just been ignored. How can I improve it ? Because if I put intervalometer camera can the picture in 3 second fastest.
The USB control mode was setup to start/stop intervalometer shooting when the USB power = 5V ( i.e. On).   It was really not designed for single shot shooting via USB pulses.  Obviously it could be changed to do that if necessary if you can't leave the USB on when you want the UAV to be shooting.   The nice thing about the current setup is that it retracts the lens when USB power is absent.  This slows down the cycle time but is a really nice thing to have prior to your UAV rejoining the ground.
« Last Edit: 09 / May / 2014, 21:12:52 by waterwingz »

« Reply #163 on: 09 / May / 2014, 22:40:44 »
Hi waterwingz, thank you so much for the help

here is the log file. I will post my picture also.
I can not find anything strange in the log. but the picture some are bad and some are really good.

https://plus.google.com/photos/105328353808607790727/albums/6011616743782592257

here is the picture was taking with this log. you can see from IMG1800 to 1803 was bad picture, IMG 1804 to 1808 are better, 1808 to 1013 is really good quality. picture are really big so I can not upload too much, there are more picture in bad quality. hope it help you to make some analyze.

« Reply #164 on: 09 / May / 2014, 23:28:42 »
I can not find anything strange in the log. but the picture some are bad and some are really good.
Sorry.  Maybe it's me, but none of these pictures look very good compared to many KAP and UAV pictures I've seen taken using CHDK with less expensive cameras. 

Picture 12 of 14 is particularly confusing ... there is a small section of forest in the center of the shot that seems clear but the rest of the image appears to be under a cloud or something ?

Maybe this is because these are downsized images?  Can you post both a full size good & bad image to a file sharing site ( hint :  box.com please - no spam or dancing balony) along with the image name/number from the log file?    That would help a lot!

FWIW, the script seems to be performing well.   The log shows shutter speeds at 1/1000 min - that's good.  And the focus is reported as 'infinity" in all shots - also good.

ISO setting are fairly low.   I suspect you could jack up the Tv target to 1/2000 safely.

Not sure what else to say here.   I can't correlate the image names in the log ( IMG_1803.JPG ) to the images you kindly posted on plus.google.com.

« Reply #165 on: 09 / May / 2014, 23:44:05 »
My camera is elph320 hs.
Thanks for that.  It would be good to know what version of CHDK you are using, and the version of the script.

KAP 2.4 with CHDK 1.3.0-3437 ixus240_elph320hs 101a

Hmmm ... so most likely causes are either low shutter speed, bad focus, UAV vibration,  or earthquakes.

if you can check the picture and log, you will see all the shutter time are right at 1/1000. also from picture you can not see blur,  i guess is the only focus problem, please let me know if I'm wrong.

Sound like you should be okay then.  Hard crashes really suck though - kind of like watching $100 bills burn in a bucket.

Here I would like thanks for my Zephry II wing, so tough, I crash to a tree ar 60 meters high, and fall to the ground, just need a little fix, nothing need to replace. amazing, right ? only make me worried is my camera, test on the ground look normal, and fly in the sky still take some good picture, but more are bad picture. lololo... I shake the camera I can hear some sound inside, like some piece are not fixed.... that could be the problem ? but why still take good picture ?

Is that possible camera focus ability has problem, maybe focus lock time is too long  ? How to verified it ?
The script locks the focus prior to the first shot.  It should not change after that, so focus lock time or focus ability should be "all good" or "all bad".  Unless the camera actually failed to lock focus that is.  Need to see the script log.

what means script locks the focus prior to the first shot ?  it is not always in infinity focus ? if it is always infinity lock, why some are good some are not good? even I saw my first shot is not focus, but later some picture can focus, some can not... that is the strange thing.

How to verified it ?
Let's start with the script log file?  Please post it here.

That bank and pitch should not cause the problem right, because shutter was really fast at 1000.
Shutter speed at 1/1000 is probably the minimum you want to use.  Faster would be better.
you are right, you can see in log, all are taken in 1/1000, no blur, just no focus.

The USB control mode was setup to start/stop intervalometer shooting when the USB power = 5V ( i.e. On).   It was really not designed for single shot shooting via USB pulses.  Obviously it could be changed to do that if necessary if you can't leave the USB on when you want the UAV to be shooting.   The nice thing about the current setup is that it retracts the lens when USB power is absent.  This slows down the cycle time but is a really nice thing to have prior to your UAV rejoining the ground.
[/quote]
nice to know that, sorry for I can not undersstand clear the script about USB control. but my suggestion is for UAV shooting, most of case people will need autopilot control board to control the camera shoot, not by camera intervalometer shooting, because autopilot can make camera shoot by distance, not time. by the wind, UAV can fly faster or slower, but photo need to be arranged in same distance. for that reason, can you modified the script for this purpose ? one USB pulse, one shoot, as fast response as the best. that will helps a lot.

« Reply #166 on: 10 / May / 2014, 00:15:04 »
Sorry.  Maybe it's me, but none of these pictures look very good compared to many KAP and UAV pictures I've seen taken using CHDK with less expensive cameras. 

Picture 12 of 14 is particularly confusing ... there is a small section of forest in the center of the shot that seems clear but the rest of the image appears to be under a cloud or something ?

Maybe this is because these are downsized images?  Can you post both a full size good & bad image to a file sharing site ( hint :  box.com please - no spam or dancing balony) along with the image name/number from the log file?    That would help a lot!

FWIW, the script seems to be performing well.   The log shows shutter speeds at 1/1000 min - that's good.  And the focus is reported as 'infinity" in all shots - also good.

ISO setting are fairly low.   I suspect you could jack up the Tv target to 1/2000 safely.

Not sure what else to say here.   I can't correlate the image names in the log ( IMG_1803.JPG ) to the images you kindly posted on plus.google.com.

it is great to know that still my picture are bad, because it means I can improve it. lololo...
https://app.box.com/s/i0vi6x5m6zx56ipqnxky  can you download the original pic with original name to have a review ? Today was not a sunny day, but cloud is not so heavy. what I am thinking is that camera set to infinity, so that is really infinity, from which distance to infinity all are focus ?

« Reply #167 on: 10 / May / 2014, 00:26:12 »
it is great to know that still my picture are bad, because it means I can improve it. lololo...
https://app.box.com/s/i0vi6x5m6zx56ipqnxky  can you download the original pic with original name to have a review ?
Downloading now .. my slow connection will take a few moments.

Today was not a sunny day, but cloud is not so heavy. what I am thinking is that camera set to infinity, so that is really infinity, from which distance to infinity all are focus ?
Everything from about 2 meters to infinity should be in focus - the depth of field on these little camera is amazing.

Update :   not sure what to say here.  The full size images are not "sharp". Far from it.  And it does not look like a focus issue.   You might try using the simple intervalometer script included with CHDK and set the camera into "Sports" mode with ISO force to 1600.  Just to see what the camera can do on its own?  Also,  I'd be curious to see a picture taken on the ground under similar lighting conditions in Auto or P mode of the local landscape seen in these picture - with the center of the picture pointed off into the distance.
« Last Edit: 10 / May / 2014, 00:49:55 by waterwingz »

« Reply #168 on: 10 / May / 2014, 01:30:59 »
Update :   not sure what to say here.  The full size images are not "sharp". Far from it.  And it does not look like a focus issue.   You might try using the simple intervalometer script included with CHDK and set the camera into "Sports" mode with ISO force to 1600.  Just to see what the camera can do on its own?  Also,  I'd be curious to see a picture taken on the ground under similar lighting conditions in Auto or P mode of the local landscape seen in these picture - with the center of the picture pointed off into the distance.

320HS has no sports mode, I will take pic and show to you tomorrow, now here is middle night :)

but one question, you can compare the picture, for example IMG1813, 1810. the detail of the red car, and the cow. still is not good ? but you can see, at least these few picture has more detail than the others. and why you say that it is not like a focus issue?
« Last Edit: 10 / May / 2014, 01:36:26 by afishindouban »

« Reply #169 on: 10 / May / 2014, 01:41:20 »
by the way, can you post some picture of your camera shoot point down from around 300 meter high? I really want to know how good and detail could a camera make it.