KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script - page 67 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script

• 1068 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: KAP & UAV Exposure Control Intervalometer Script
« Reply #660 on: 19 / November / 2015, 21:37:43 »
Advertisements
I've struggled with this.   Given the depth of field of these little camera lenses, and the concept of hyperfocal distance,  it seems strange that values  < 64K like 50,000 or 30,000 do not appear to give sharp focus out to infinity.
I seem to have deleted my test shots, but the differences was pretty noticeable on sx160 at the long end of the zoom (~440mm equivalent)
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #661 on: 19 / November / 2015, 22:29:21 »
I seem to have deleted my test shots, but the differences was pretty noticeable on sx160 at the long end of the zoom (~440mm equivalent)
I was not trying to suggest that the bug was not an issue.  I'm just not sure it explains why some S100's work with CHDK SD overrides and others, using identical settings, do not?

Edit : I'll see if the two people I worked with on this who had suspect cameras using SD overrides can get them to work with the latest version of CHDK.
« Last Edit: 19 / November / 2015, 22:32:13 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #662 on: 20 / November / 2015, 01:53:20 »
I was not trying to suggest that the bug was not an issue.  I'm just not sure it explains why some S100's work with CHDK SD overrides and others, using identical settings, do not?
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that it completely explains it, only that it may have been one confounding factor.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #663 on: 20 / November / 2015, 12:08:03 »
It turns out that my S110 won't focus on infinity.  The lens calibration is off.  I tested two Canon S110 cameras with the exact same settings using KAP_UAV and the infinity button active.  One camera takes perfect photos and the other camera produces blurry photos.  Go figure...It wasn't the script.  It's the darn cameras.  Some are calibrated to work and some won't.
Thanks for reporting this.  It's very consistent with my theory that Canon P&S manual focus settings are often poorly calibrated - even on cameras that claim to offer MF capability.  And the reason you don't see this in autofocus mode is that the camera adjusts the lens position via a closed loop feedback system until it sees the sharpest image.  It has no concept or need for physical distance values.
I wonder if anybody with those problem cameras has tried setting a much closer distance to get sharp pictures.

I already mentioned this, but (for example) my sx280 reaches infinity at around 1000 mm, setting native manual focus beyond that gives increasingly blurred pictures (that means, focus goes beyond infinity). This is at wide angle of course.

« Reply #664 on: 20 / November / 2015, 20:51:10 »
I wonder if anybody with those problem cameras has tried setting a much closer distance to get sharp pictures.  I already mentioned this, but (for example) my sx280 reaches infinity at around 1000 mm, setting native manual focus beyond that gives increasingly blurred pictures (that means, focus goes beyond infinity). This is at wide angle of course.
During testing,  we used a script to run the focus out from about 20cm to infinity in steps.   I'm trying to find the test photos - what you are suggesting is that the best focus at infinity might occur at 1 meter SD override value! That's certainly interesting. 

But confounding that information is the fact that the test on several cameras of the same model show that some cameras work correctly and some do not.  I suppose it could just be down to lack of calibration.

Update : found one of the test sequences.   Sure enough, at wide angle with a 0.4 m SD override setting,  pretty much everything is in focus.  And this setting also seems to give the best focus for objects out at "infinity". As the focus setting moves out past 0.5 meters, the focus of everything quickly deteriorates.

« Last Edit: 20 / November / 2015, 21:36:15 by waterwingz »

« Reply #665 on: 06 / December / 2015, 15:44:32 »
Hi,

I have two Powershot A560 cameras that I have been trying to use this script on to do high altitude balloon photography this week, but have had trouble executing the script on both cameras. I had previously run this on an sd750 and was able to get that working fine.

Here are the steps I took:
1. Updated the firmware to CHDK version 1.3.
2. Added the kap_uav.lua file to the scripts folder
3. Made sure the SD card was in "locked" position

The problem I'm facing is once I enter alt mode and select kap_uav.lua, I see the following screen in the image:

The issue here is that unlike when I ran this on the sd750, I don't see any area to enter the parameters that I'd like to set for the duration of the script such as shot interval or target TV. There are no further options to scroll to below the line that says "._kap_uav.lua".

Has anyone had this issue before or know how I could solve it? Thanks in advance.

« Reply #666 on: 06 / December / 2015, 16:34:53 »
The issue here is that unlike when I ran this on the sd750, I don't see any area to enter the parameters that I'd like to set for the duration of the script such as shot interval or target TV. There are no further options to scroll to below the line that says "._kap_uav.lua".
There seems to be something wrong with the script file you are trying to load.   If you use the current version of the script,  you should see the words KAP UAV 3.6 in the Script screen - not ._kap_uav.lua   I'm guessing there is a file called ._kap_uav.lua on your SD card and it's not the  kap_uav.lua script you want to use (note the period & underscore at the start of the invalid filename.)

Delete the _kap_uav.lua file from the scripts folder and copy the file from this link :  kap_uav.lua  there instead.

« Last Edit: 06 / December / 2015, 16:39:06 by waterwingz »

Offline zeno

« Reply #667 on: 06 / December / 2015, 18:23:54 »
This is a Mac problem. OSX creates little files with names starting with a period - it's part of the spotlight search mechanism I think. Anyway on the Mac they are hidden files, but if you copy real file to a card, the hidden file gets copied too and the camera OS doesn't realise that it's meant to be hidden. It's a pain when scrolling through a directory on the camera - you have to skip over all these non-files.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #668 on: 06 / December / 2015, 18:32:17 »
This is a Mac problem.
Thanks - I wondered about that. So the actual script file should be in the SD card - the OP just loaded the wrong file?

It's a pain when scrolling through a directory on the camera - you have to skip over all these non-files.

Or you could use the CHDK file browser to delete them.

« Reply #669 on: 06 / December / 2015, 21:28:51 »
Ww...I updated to ver 3.6 and my previously functioning 330HS on ver 3.5 now will not save the pic... my Iris fires the script... it opens the lens and the red af beam lights... but no pic. I'm able to save a pic using the camera shutter release.
Perplexed.
I deleted my ver 3.5....would you have that version available for me to download so I can troubleshoot?

Your code is a work of art IMHO.

Tks
Dave