Canon Powershot A495 Wont power on using the ON/OFF button - page 2 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Canon Powershot A495 Wont power on using the ON/OFF button

• 13 Replies
Re: Canon Powershot A495 Wont power on using the ON/OFF button
« Reply #10 on: 24 / November / 2011, 12:44:09 »
Advertisements
Hi,
Thank you for the guide.
I followed the steps as suggested: I found out the firmware version which is 100f, I downloaded the CHDK compressed file, I made the memory card bootable and installed the CHDK on it, but when i start the camera (after locking the card), the splash screen appears for 2 seconds and then the camera turns off.
I also tried to load the CHDK manually by selecting the Firm update menu option and got the same result (btw, i didn't have to press the playback button, because the camera starts automatically in playback mode when i close the batteries door).
Rereading this thread,  it looks like your Play button might be stuck in the pressed position (or the internal switch mechanism is shorted somehow).   I can reproduce most of what you describe by holding down my Play button while duplicating your described actions.

Given that you have this problem,  its not clear what is it you want to do that you cannot do?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #11 on: 19 / January / 2012, 11:44:21 »
Hello cavow,

I read your posting yesterday because I have had same problem somehow with Canon powershot 495.
I can confirm that playback button causes the problem.
My daughter and I were visiting water caves last year, having high humidity in and some water dropping on the floor when suddenly the camera started to behave abnormal.
As I opened the camera I saw a contamination underneath the play button caused by a little hole at the backside of the button where water came into the inside of the button and produces a short on the button.
I used air pressure to open up the glue on the plastic in the area of the button and then used a little needle to scratch around the gap of the two contacts from play button and then stick all back together.

This all sounds simple but is very tricky. If you have somebody who is an electrician he might solve this for you.

Good luck,

Lichi

« Reply #12 on: 01 / August / 2017, 20:57:46 »
Hello,
Thanks for the tips, I had the same issue and the problem was really a short on playback button due to humidity(see differents between the buttons on foto 1), wich can be removed mechanically using a pin or hypo and carefully shooting air beetween the foils where no wiring running! A hair dryer can be also helpful to dry out the space between the foils.
The camera doesn't power on with battery insertion when short is over. To protect buttons against repeted defects I used a special adhesive foil to close the openings on the top of the buttons. Please check the fotos below.
« Last Edit: 01 / August / 2017, 21:03:40 by Steve68 »

« Reply #13 on: 05 / August / 2017, 02:12:05 »
Hello,
Thanks for the tips, I had the same issue and the problem was really a short on playback button due to humidity(see differents between the buttons on foto 1), wich can be removed mechanically using a pin or hypo and carefully shooting air beetween the foils where no wiring running! A hair dryer can be also helpful to dry out the space between the foils.
The camera doesn't power on with battery insertion when short is over. To protect buttons against repeted defects I used a special adhesive foil to close the openings on the top of the buttons. Please check the fotos below.

Thanks Steve! I got mine fixed now!
« Last Edit: 20 / October / 2021, 13:15:18 by Shakens »