building usb-remote-cable - page 19 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum  

building usb-remote-cable

• 474 Replies
Re: building usb-remote-cable
« Reply #180 on: 31 / December / 2008, 19:14:23 »
Advertisements
what you mean by enabling menu option 'USB Remote'?

That is what it is called in SDM.
In the basic CHDK it is called 'Enable Remote'. 

What else could I be doing wrong

You are misunderstanding .. I am saying that USB remote quite simply does not work with the s2is .. as far as I know.

David

« Reply #181 on: 06 / January / 2009, 08:03:54 »
First post here, but here is the USB remote i've made for my S3IS. It can use a standard USB cable because it isn't hard wired like some of the others that have been made. Next I will try to make a wireless remote.

From the bottom. Shows the USB connector

Top view. Button is standard from the electronics shop

Side view

Other side view

And a size comparison next to my S3IS

Haven't got any internal shots as I don't have a screwdriver handy to undo it. Internal battery is a CR2032, which outputs 3v. These are found standard on computer motherboards

I'm using the AllBest CHDK firmware with the standard USB remote enable. Pressing the button once focuses the camera, and pressing it a second time will take the photo

« Reply #182 on: 07 / January / 2009, 19:21:27 »
I have a couple of suggestions for those who feel they don't have the skills required to create a release, or who simply want to try the remote release to see what it can do for them before spending any money on it.

The first suggestion is totally ghetto...The quickest way to test remote release is to...
1. In CHDK select Scripting parameters > Remote parameter > Enable Remote
2. Set up camera and plug your USB cable into your camera.
3. Quickly plug in and remove the USB cable into your computer twice.

If you get the timing right you'll take a picture.  If you have a laptop you can do this outdoors.

The second suggestion is a battery-powered USB hub.  CyberPower makes one and the model number is CPH420MP.  At the moment I'm still unclear as to whether they still produce this item, but Newegg still has it on sale for 19 dollars.

Once you charge this unit up you simply insert the camera's USB cable and flip the on-off switch twice.  The nice thing about this option is that you get 4 ports, so you can trigger up to 4 cameras.

Newegg.com - CyberPower CPH420MP Hub - Hubs

It would be nice to split this thread into a USB-Remote gallery and a discussion thread where the first post has the latest and most accurate information, along with some tips on parts and where to get them.

« Reply #183 on: 09 / January / 2009, 01:52:09 »
An old PC case provided me with everything I needed to make a remote switch.  I pulled out the front USB connector, the power switch, and the internal USB cable.  I combined these with a 3V lithium battery I had lying around.

I used a razor to lift the catch on the power switch connector, and removed one of the wires.  I taped that wire to the positive end of the battery.  The connector was plugged into the positive side of the USB pins.

From the large USB cable I cut one of the single connectors.  The connector was plugged into the negative side of the USB pins, and I stripped and taped the other end to the negative side of the battery.

Then I just taped the battery onto the board.  It's not pretty, but I didn't need any tools to make it, it works, and the price was right! :P

« Reply #184 on: 10 / January / 2009, 18:21:04 »
I can see there is no agreement about if a 6V voltage is safe or not for a A590.
So...If I had a 6V battery, anybody knows which resistor do I need in order to get a 5V voltage so I'm not out of the range permitted for a A590?.
Thanks a lot!!!

« Reply #185 on: 10 / January / 2009, 19:12:08 »
So...If I had a 6V battery, anybody knows which resistor do I need in order to get a 5V voltage so I'm not out of the range permitted for a A590?.

There's no real current flowing here to worry about so all you need to do is combine a diode and a Schottky diode to get around 0.7 to 1V drop.  You just solder the two diodes together and then splice the assembly into one of your battery leads (diodes having been properly oriented, of course.)  Now you'll get 5V.

You can probably get away with two regular diodes.  The drop will be 1V to 1.4V.

Personally, I like this AAA battery back with build in 5V regulator ...

Pololu - Bodhilabs VPack5.0V 2-AAA Battery Holder w/ 5V Regulator

« Last Edit: 10 / January / 2009, 19:17:09 by Graystar »

« Reply #186 on: 10 / January / 2009, 19:57:25 »
If I had a 6V battery, anybody knows which resistor do I need in order to get a 5V

There is a lot of confusion about triggering via the USB socket.
It has nothing to do with normal USB standards, it is not a power signal, it is a logic signal.
For example, on the ixus65 the voltage is applied to the base of the first transistor in a pair via a 10K resistor.
You are just turning on a transistor with about 0.44mA of current.
Applying 9V would produce 0.84mA of current to turn-on the transistor.
Assuming other cameras are similar to the ixus65, the exact USB voltage is not critical.

« Reply #187 on: 10 / January / 2009, 22:42:35 »
Assuming other cameras are similar to the ixus65, the exact USB voltage is not critical.

Critical, though, for peace-of-mind when someone has absolutely no idea what he's doing and simply wants to "play it safe."  He is, after all, plugging a cobbled contraption into his $200 camera!  :P

« Reply #188 on: 11 / January / 2009, 08:10:05 »

I'm sorry for the ignorace but I have a question:
For example, on the ixus65 the voltage is applied to the base of the first transistor in a pair via a 10K resistor.
How can we know the resistor correspondant to a 590 in order to be sure that we are in the same conditions that in the ixus one?
I think that that's the important information for those who have some doubts, perhaps due to our ignorance. We want to be more sure than in the expression:
Thank you for your comprehension.

« Last Edit: 11 / January / 2009, 08:15:18 by es_maam »

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #189 on: 11 / January / 2009, 08:33:56 »
The only thing we can be absolutely certain is that they all tolerate slightly over 5V (because that's what may be present in an USB cable). We can be reasonably certain that all will tolerate some degree of surges and ESD pulses to comply with standards.

But we can't assume that all existing and future cameras will share the same transistor circuit and its maximum voltage spec from that one Digic II camera schematic.

That's why I'd only advice using approximately 5V for remote triggers no matter how likely 9 V or any other voltage is to be OK. Less is ok if it works, but we already know some cameras work with less than others (which IMO is a clear indication that the said circuit is not identical among all cameras!).

As said before by others, its a low current setup. Limit your remote switch output current to below 5 mA and you are likely to be just fine even with an input that doesn't tolerate 9V. Without a current limit exceeding 5V is very brave/careless unless you know the circuit inside the partucular camera model for sure.