IRC, discord etc - General Chat - CHDK Forum  

IRC, discord etc

• 6 Replies

Offline reyalp

IRC, discord etc
« on: 01 / August / 2021, 00:56:57 »
Advertisements
edit: As of August 2021, the official #chdk channel is on https://libera.chat/

A few months back there was some drama on freenode.

The tl;dr is that someone who was previously marginally involved with freenode took over the network (based on some obscure if not shady grounds) and many of the original staff left.

I thought about moving the CHDK channel at the time, but given the low traffic and the fact the channel still worked and was available through the web interface, it didn't really seem worth the effort.

It appears that freenode now requires creating an account even to use the web client (it's possible this depends on IP, but if so, it applies to some large consumer ISPs). This seems excessive for casual users who just want to ask a question.

Given all this, I'm inclined to move the "official" CHDK presence somewhere else.

Options include
https://libera.chat/ - The people who left freenode
https://www.oftc.net/ - seems to be popular with other open source projects

If we move to one of these, I'd be inclined to officially register the project so people known to the community can have operator rights.

We could also chose to use another service, such as discord. Personally, my preference is IRC. I don't need the bells and whistles, and have no desire to run a proprietary IM client for something that might have one conversation per week.
« Last Edit: 12 / August / 2021, 22:29:04 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Re: IRC, discord etc
« Reply #1 on: 01 / August / 2021, 10:04:24 »
Having hung out in the current CHDK IRC channel on and off for years now, I'm familiar with the usage pattern.  I'd characterize it as an extension of this forum where you can have a faster back and forth discussion (mostly with @reyalp). However anything significant discussed is quickly lost so it's not a good place to store and search for information.

So this might really comes down to what @reyalp prefers. I don't see any advantage to Slack or Discord unless there is a need for video / audio communications and the willingness to use them?   Take a look at the Facebook CHDK page and group, the Instagram Facebook page, etc for examples of how little interest there is for an alternate social media CHDK option. I doubt Discord or Slack will change that.

tl;dr : another IRC network works for me

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: 01 / August / 2021, 18:07:43 »
I don't use it often; but I would vote for staying on IRC.
No preference on which network to use.

CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 07 / August / 2021, 13:11:30 »
#chdk now exists on liberachat and has a few users in it. Looks like @olspookishmagus may have created it sometime back. I'll idle there and update the wiki to refer to that.

I have not attempted to register CHDK as a project yet.

Offline December172

• A student interested in the Canon P&S hack
« Reply #4 on: 27 / October / 2022, 02:25:58 »
When I use the HexChat on my ubuntu computer to link the libera.chat IRC chatting service,it always complains about the SASL authentication and the registering.But when I try to register in the official website way,I get a 'You have not registered',and I can't enter the chatting room either.Is that there also something I need to do when I register the account?(like send a authentication email,etc)
Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 (IXUS 175).
(Seems most of you are older than me.... Anyone teen? )

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 27 / October / 2022, 03:01:24 »
When I use the HexChat on my ubuntu computer to link the libera.chat IRC chatting service,it always complains about the SASL authentication and the registering.But when I try to register in the official website way,I get a 'You have not registered',and I can't enter the chatting room either.Is that there also something I need to do when I register the account?(like send a authentication email,etc)
I don't recall having to do anything beyond what's described in the instructions https://libera.chat/guides/registration

You should be able to use browser based clients on the libera.chat site without registering

Offline December172

• A student interested in the Canon P&S hack
« Reply #6 on: 27 / October / 2022, 08:46:30 »
You should be able to use browser based clients on the libera.chat site without registering
Sorry,I forget the web client... ;)
I've tried the 'lightweighted client' (the gamja client) in the official guide and registered my own account.Thx for tips again...
Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 (IXUS 175).
(Seems most of you are older than me.... Anyone teen? )