CHDK PTP interface - page 61 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDK PTP interface

• 1241 Replies
Re: CHDK PTP interface
« Reply #600 on: 03 / November / 2011, 03:16:48 »
Advertisements
Make sure CHDK is loaded in play mode before you start ptpCamGui.
CHDK is loaded automatically after power on. The yellow label with CHDK version is appeared on camera screen.  But camera starts in play mode with retracted lens.

Offline rudi

• A590IS_101B, SX260HS_100B
« Reply #601 on: 05 / November / 2011, 09:21:31 »
>> version << error: cannot get camera CHDK PTP version; either it has an unsupported version or no CHDK PTP support at all
ptpcam: 2.0 (Length: 122) [unexpected return code 0x2005
unexpected return code 0x2005 (Length: 60)]
This message means "CHDK ptp-task not run".

Why? e.g. ptp is not enabled in your build, but I think it is enabled by default for S95.
A good answer looks like
Code: [Select]
>> version << ptpcam: 2.0
camera: 2.0 (Length: 24)

No hint found on S95 porting thread about wrong ptp and ptpcamGUI works fine.

Try this:
- use the newest CHDK build
- test CHDK-DE build
- post a question to S95 thread

rudi

« Reply #602 on: 11 / November / 2011, 14:28:04 »
Hello everyone,

I have only browsed thus far through the thread. (alot of information! =D )

But I had a few questions, that I was hoping someone could answer for me here in relation to the functions provided by what mweerden & ewavr have done here.

1) By switching a compatible camera to rec mode from playback, is it still possible to transfer photos through the USB connection to a computer while setting up a script to continuously capture photos. In other words, is photo capture possible with simultaneous data transfer?

2) What has been the average image transfer rate over a USB2 connection? I read some values of 6Hz, but is this relative to what I am talking about?

Thanks again guys! :xmas

« Reply #603 on: 12 / November / 2011, 08:20:50 »
rudi, thanks for advice! I tried the newest CHDK and got remoute control! Works good. Are there any software for Linux with functionality of PtpCamGui?

« Reply #604 on: 12 / November / 2011, 22:42:07 »
Ok so I have done quite a bit of reading since my last post and seems that to better understand everything I will need to actually purchase a compatible camera and test it out. I have seen alot of testing with the SX120, G12, and others. My only dilemma is I don't want to go out and buy something that won't actually help me. From what I understand, which is not much... it is possible (I think?) to do what was stated above. Another question I have is if this is possible to run continuously? Kind of like setting up a camera to take a certain amount of images over a given time AND transfer the data without me having to interfere inbetween? I am sorry again for the noobie questions... and thank you for any replies.

« Reply #605 on: 13 / November / 2011, 09:48:12 »
Well, you either have to  upload the image to the PC between shots (let us say no faster than every four or five seconds) or you have to spend longer uploading a batch at certain longer intervals.

You can do both  .. your choice.

You cannot capture images faster than one every four seconds and upload them at the same time.

David

« Reply #606 on: 13 / November / 2011, 10:31:24 »
Another question I have is if this is possible to run continuously? Kind of like setting up a camera to take a certain amount of images over a given time AND transfer the data without me having to interfere inbetween? I am sorry again for the noobie questions... and thank you for any replies.
You could buy or make an A/C adapter to replace the camera battery.  Then use an Eye-Fi card to tranfer your pictures over wifi
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #607 on: 13 / November / 2011, 14:04:37 »
I really appreciate the replies. Thank you. So I had already previously researched using eye fi but found it to be too slow for what I wanted to accomplish, therefore I began looking into other options. I found eyefi to have an image transfer rate of about 2-3 seconds and that was holding the camera right next to the router.

When you say no faster than one every four second, is that including the process of uploading the image to a computer? In other words it would take 4 seconds to take a photo and then transfer it before restarting the process all over.. Is that what you are saying?

I would assume the time intervals would be the same for a longer batch.. Maybe. For instance, have the camera take 10 photos every 10 seconds, then stop to upload them. It would still take 40 seconds, correct?

« Reply #608 on: 13 / November / 2011, 14:28:45 »
Another thought... using a USB interface, uploading images from the camera to the computer is independent of the SD card, right? Or does reading occur directly from the SD card? Again, thank you for the replies.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #609 on: 13 / November / 2011, 15:34:32 »
Or does reading occur directly from the SD card?
As far as I know, yes. The writing of the .jpg can't be prevented yet.
Some older PowerShots do have official remote capture capability, but Canon decided to remove this from all recent models. Some info: http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/