Re: IXUS 105 / SD1300 IS porting thread
« Reply #470 on: 10 / June / 2011, 12:45:07 »
Advertisements
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline sh1981

« Reply #471 on: 10 / June / 2011, 12:48:12 »
@sh1981

Try Autostart with this version http://www.zshare.net/download/912364022b4e4014/

Works perfectly!

I've grown so fond of your (or whoever the credit goes to) Time Lapse script that I have it on Autostart all the time now. Turn the cam on, it starts shooting away. With ND filter OUT it shoots even faster I've noticed.

I'm still not sure what ND exposure compensation does?

You might want to, whenever its convenient  for your of course, look at this slight glitch with the camera starting. You see, when I start up the camera, I flick the power on button, and it turns on in PLAY mode. Then I press half shoot, and the camera fires up in record mode. Thats fine, totally fine, however sometimes the first flick of the power button does NOT turn the camera on in PLAY mode, it just flashes the green LED and turns off. Sometimes it does this 3 or 4 times.

You might say, keep the power button pressed. That works, starts the camera in record mode straight, however, not always. Infact, it most of the time turns off with lens half extended.

That is why I never ever keep the power button pressed, I always press PLAY button and then half shoot, or I press power button and then half shoot to turn the camera on in record mode.

It's a little glitch that I can, and have been living with. However someday if you fix it, it would make my main use of the camera even easier, which is to turn it on and take as many photos as I can at the fastest shutter speed I can manage, and the Time Lapse script does the job perfect.

Anyway thanks again for fixing the Autostart, wonderful job :)

Cheers :)
A proud owner of Canon IXUS 105

« Reply #472 on: 10 / June / 2011, 14:30:52 »
I'm still not sure what ND exposure compensation does?

If the Canon firmware intended to swing the filter in and SDM decides to swing it out, the photo would be overexposed unless the shutter speed was made faster.
That is what the exposure compensation does.

You might say, keep the power button pressed.

No, I would say have you tried setting the 'Exten Lens' option in the Stereo menu.

Does that not automatically switch you into Record mode ?

Offline sh1981

« Reply #473 on: 10 / June / 2011, 18:10:10 »
@microfunguy

Watch this video: MOV0084A.3gp - 5.92MB

I begin with the camera in AUTO mode.
The lens extended option is ON at this point.
At around 1:37 I turn lens extended option OFF.
The camera is still in AUTO mode.
I then move onto P mode, lens extended off.
I then move onto VIDEO mode, lens extended off.
During the end I try to hold on the power on button for move than 1 second, and the lens gets stuck.
I hold the power on button again and the lens retracts and the camera turns on fine this time.

Some points to note:

- Most of the time the camera turns on fine if I have lens extended option off, canon logo off, SDM logo ON. This is the setting I normally follow.
- It might be a figment of my imagination but, I seem to have noticed that if the camera is started in play mode and the image displayed is a high ISO image such as one taken at ISO 400 or ISO 800, the camera turns on fine most of the time.
- The problem occurs only randomly, as is evident from the video.
- The camera turns on fine, most times, in AUTO mode. In short, AUTO mode seems to cause least trouble.
- Keeping button pressed is a hit and miss, most of the times the lens gets stuck though, regardless of AUTO mode or not.
- Lens extended on or off does not seem to have much of an effect on the behavior.

Final words:

I didnt initially bother too much about this problem or stress on it because I consider it a blessing in disguise, in the sense that I always put it in P mode when I turn cam off and then put it in the camera case. This is because I know it will have trouble firing up in case a button gets pressed!

However it becomes a problem when you're out and about and you miss that picture perfect moment cause the camera wont fire up. lol

My workaround to this problem is to quickly flick the power button and pump the half shoot and pray it turns on! Most of the time it does luckily. :P

« Reply #474 on: 10 / June / 2011, 19:00:03 »
You are misunderstanding the 'Extend Lens' option.

When it is enabled, if you briefly press the power button to boot the camera it should automatically switch to Record mode.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #475 on: 10 / June / 2011, 20:04:19 »
@microfunguy

During the end I try to hold on the power on button for move than 1 second, and the lens gets stuck.
I hold the power on button again and the lens retracts and the camera turns on fine this time.

Some points to note:

- Most of the time the camera turns on fine if I have lens extended option off, canon logo off, SDM logo ON. This is the setting I normally follow.
- It might be a figment of my imagination but, I seem to have noticed that if the camera is started in play mode and the image displayed is a high ISO image such as one taken at ISO 400 or ISO 800, the camera turns on fine most of the time.
- The camera turns on fine, most times, in AUTO mode. In short, AUTO mode seems to cause least trouble.
- Keeping button pressed is a hit and miss, most of the times the lens gets stuck though, regardless of AUTO mode or not.
- Lens extended on or off does not seem to have much of an effect on the behavior.

Final words:

I didnt initially bother too much about this problem or stress on it because I consider it a blessing in disguise, in the sense that I always put it in P mode when I turn cam off and then put it in the camera case. This is because I know it will have trouble firing up in case a button gets pressed!

However it becomes a problem when you're out and about and you miss that picture perfect moment cause the camera wont fire up. lol

My workaround to this problem is to quickly flick the power button and pump the half shoot and pray it turns on! Most of the time it does luckily. :P

Sounds like the startup crash problem experienced by a quite a few cameras now:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6179.0

Unfortunately the ixus105 hasn't been added to the CHDK main code base so you can't try building CHDK with the fix enabled.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

Offline sh1981

« Reply #476 on: 10 / June / 2011, 20:28:55 »
You are misunderstanding the 'Extend Lens' option.

When it is enabled, if you briefly press the power button to boot the camera it should automatically switch to Record mode.

No, I do not believe I'm misunderstanding it.

It does what you say it should do, you can see it in the start of the video I posted as well. When the video start, you will see that, eventually after pressing the power on button 3 or 4 times, the camera comes to life in play mode, then goes into record mode, automatically, thats cause the lens extended option is enabled.

Therefore the lens extended option is doing what its supposed to do just fine.

Problem is with the camera starting up in the first place.

If I'm still misunderstanding, do correct me. :)
« Last Edit: 10 / June / 2011, 20:31:13 by sh1981 »

Offline sh1981

« Reply #477 on: 10 / June / 2011, 20:44:30 »
@microfunguy

Some points to note:

Final words:

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6179.0

Unfortunately the ixus105 hasn't been added to the CHDK main code base so you can't try building CHDK with the fix enabled.

Phil.

Looked at your thread, certainly the fact that when the memory card has less photos seems to cause the problem less. However, its not entirely true. I just now, a few hours after posting my video, tried it 25 times and it turns on fine everytime.

If I read correct, on your thread, after the FIX, people are having problems with RAW.

The problem is not serious enough for RAW to be sacrificed. I can live with it. It occurs I'd say 30% of the time, has its mood-swings, as if my wife wasn't enough.

Having said that, I'm sure microfunguy would come up with some fix for SDM :)

« Reply #478 on: 10 / June / 2011, 20:50:45 »

i have #defined that fix in camera.h.

I assume it is not necessary to include a default #undef at the top of camera.h  ?

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #479 on: 10 / June / 2011, 21:01:01 »

Looked at your thread, certainly the fact that when the memory card has less photos seems to cause the problem less. However, its not entirely true. I just now, a few hours after posting my video, tried it 25 times and it turns on fine everytime.

If I read correct, on your thread, after the FIX, people are having problems with RAW.

The problem is not serious enough for RAW to be sacrificed. I can live with it. It occurs I'd say 30% of the time, has its mood-swings, as if my wife wasn't enough.

Having said that, I'm sure microfunguy would come up with some fix for SDM :)

The fix is currently in place for the G12, SX30, SX20, SX130is, S95, IXUS120, A495 and A590 and there are no reported problems with RAW files. Some of the workarounds developed during the investigation affected RAW; but the current fix does not.

The symptoms are random as you are experiencing (I also had long periods where the problem never occurred) which is what made it difficult to diagnose and fix.

The fix is quite simple and affects only the 'open' function in platform/generic/wrappers.c so could probably be added to SDM fairly easily.

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)