MDFB2013 - updating the fastest CHDK motion detection script - page 6 - LUA Scripting - CHDK Forum

MDFB2013 - updating the fastest CHDK motion detection script

• 121 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: MDFB2013 - updating the fastest CHDK motion detection script
« Reply #50 on: 28 / July / 2014, 14:59:11 »
Advertisements
I'm having trouble with this script. I don't seem to understand it at all. I have the reaction mode set to fast,  I've tried threshold from 10-100 and it still doesnt pick up the lightning in an evening light. When I wave my hand in front of the camera then it goes off.
What camera?
Also, I don't get how the picture comparing thingy works.
Not clear what you are referring to.

The display goes black randomly I think, not after 7ms like I have set it.
If you are using one of the power saving modes, you should probably try to get it working first without.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #51 on: 29 / July / 2014, 09:24:48 »
I'm having trouble with this script. I don't seem to understand it at all. I have the reaction mode set to fast,  I've tried threshold from 10-100 and it still doesnt pick up the lightning in an evening light. When I wave my hand in front of the camera then it goes off.
What camera?
Also, I don't get how the picture comparing thingy works.
Not clear what you are referring to.

The display goes black randomly I think, not after 7ms like I have set it.
If you are using one of the power saving modes, you should probably try to get it working first without.

Camera is SX150IS. This is what I mean by the pic compare: "Motion detect takes one sample from the display, then waits a time specified
by the "compare interval" parameter before taking another sample and then
compares these two." Got this from the read me file of the script.
Yeah, I was using power saving mode, should turn that off and try again, although it never takes a picture when theres actual lightning, only takes a pic when I wipe my hand in front of the lens.

« Reply #52 on: 29 / July / 2014, 09:36:00 »

Yeah, I was using power saving mode, should turn that off and try again, although it never takes a picture when theres actual lightning, only takes a pic when I wipe my hand in front of the lens.

Some camera models are faster than others. There is a test script included with recent versions of CHDK that should let you check yours.

You can also set the script into "Test" mode rather than "Fast" mode and it will display the trigger levels in each of the MD frames to help you set the sensitivity level.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #53 on: 29 / July / 2014, 21:31:31 »
sx150 does not have fast MD implemented, so it will probably not do well with lightning.

I've attached a test build that should have fast MD implemented. The preferred way to test this is using MD_Tune as described in http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Testing#MD_tune.bas

However, for this to work, we need to know which set_led value turns on the AF LED. I've guessed that it's 0, but that might be wrong. If MD_tune does not turn on the AF LED, try calling set_led with 1 and 2 and let us know which one turns on the AF.

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #54 on: 18 / February / 2015, 16:22:32 »
Hej,
I'm sorry to say this but : this script doesn't work as well as the old one for me, and I don't know why.
I'm using the same settings as my old birds pics and it doesn't catch any bird. Even with my hand it works if I'm 10cm from the lens but further away I can shake it in front of the cam and it won't shoot. Lowering the threshold didn't help until entering a loop. I'm using the U (chroma), other settings I didn't change but threshold.

Anyone helps me test anything, I have missed the long-tailed tits :(

It's with my good old A540 btw, I fear the new stuff isn't good for my old cam.

And btw the old fudgey basic script does the same thing. Anything has changed in CHDK relative to MD ?

I might also add that the simple motion script (both bas and lua) triggers as well as before.
« Last Edit: 18 / February / 2015, 16:35:35 by yvesson »

« Reply #55 on: 18 / February / 2015, 16:46:42 »
I'm sorry to say this but : this script doesn't work as well as the old one for me, and I don't know why.
And btw the old fudgey basic script does the same thing. Anything has changed in CHDK relative to MD ?
So are you saying that neither the old script or the new script work today?  But the old script worked for you in the past ?  If so,  that suggests it's something with your camera or CHDK itself that has changed.

Even with my hand it works if I'm 10cm from the lens but further away I can shake it in front of the cam and it won't shoot.
Is the focus locked in macro mode on your camera?

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
« Reply #56 on: 18 / February / 2015, 16:53:51 »
Hej,
Of course the old script worked in the past and obviously something has changed in CHDK. Reyalp where are you ? :p
Also of course I'm in macro mode, but it used to shoot blurry cars or birds meters away in the past, too.

« Reply #57 on: 18 / February / 2015, 20:21:02 »
Of course the old script worked in the past and obviously something has changed in CHDK.  Reyalp where are you ? :p
Also of course I'm in macro mode, but it used to shoot blurry cars or birds meters away in the past, too.
Sorry if you find this process of questions & answers annoying. Over the last few years,  I've learned that you have to establish a baseline condition to work from when helping people with problems.  And I think I've helped at least a couple of people.  But as you don't seem to appreciate my help,  I'll withdraw from this conversation.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #58 on: 18 / February / 2015, 21:11:54 »
Hej,
Of course the old script worked in the past and obviously something has changed in CHDK. Reyalp where are you ? :p
I'm not aware of anything that would significantly affect the reaction time or sensitivity of MD.  Using MDTune, a540 reaction time seems to be very good.

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
« Reply #59 on: 19 / February / 2015, 12:38:42 »
Of course the old script worked in the past and obviously something has changed in CHDK.  Reyalp where are you ? :p
Sorry if you find this process of questions & answers annoying. Over the last few years,  I've learned that you have to establish a baseline condition to work from when helping people with problems.  And I think I've helped at least a couple of people.  But as you don't seem to appreciate my help,  I'll withdraw from this conversation.

Hej,
Nah it doesn't annoy me, just I named reyalp because I know he owned a A540 and he prolly tracked any change better than anyone. Don't feel bad about it. And you didn't know my old pictures because the scripts used to work very well and I'm so sad I missed the long-tailed tits yesterday. :/
And I'm sure the macro mode isn't an issue because I think it can focus even at 50cm (and btw without the macro mode the behaviour is identical).

But since the simple motion detect scripts seem to trigger from a distance and both fudgey and this updated sript can't, there must be something to find, and of course you can help me.

Reyalp : it's not really a sensivity problem and even less a reaction time, it's like it doesn't see my hand or a pen being shaked like 20cm away from the lens (and yesterday where I put the cam for the birds it was the same, I couldn't trigger with my hand where the birds where supposed to land, but closer it triggered it), the simple MD script triggers as anything enters the frame.
It I had played with the settings I would understand the difference, but I'm really without ideas atm.
« Last Edit: 19 / February / 2015, 12:41:15 by yvesson »