Unable to get CHDK to load on older Canon S80 - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Unable to get CHDK to load on older Canon S80

• 30 Replies
Re: Unable to get CHDK to load on older Canon S80
« Reply #10 on: 11 / March / 2020, 15:32:40 »
Advertisements
Just tried that and it's not uploading to the camera...I get the "update firmware?" after which nothing happens.  Tried 3 times and same result.  Frustrating eh?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #11 on: 11 / March / 2020, 15:46:13 »
Just tried that and it's not uploading to the camera...I get the "update firmware?" after which nothing happens.  Tried 3 times and same result.  Frustrating eh?
I'm afraid I'm getting less and less certain about what's happening.
Can you try to follow the guide on this page about getting the firmware version? If you succeed, you should see GM1.00G .

« Reply #12 on: 11 / March / 2020, 15:55:47 »
Shall do...Just leaving for an appointment and will do when back home and will report findings.  Thank you so much for trying to help with such an old camera and I don't get it as CHDK does work on this model of camera (just not mine at this point).

« Reply #13 on: 11 / March / 2020, 17:55:24 »
Shall do...Just leaving for an appointment and will do when back home and will report findings.  Thank you so much for trying to help with such an old camera and I don't get it as CHDK does work on this model of camera (just not mine at this point).
Did you actually extract all the files (with directories) to the SD card?  Or did you just copy the whole zip file to the card?

Edit : if it's offering a firmware update menu item then it looks like you unzipped the CHDK download file ... assuming you actually deleted the genuine firmware update file?
« Last Edit: 11 / March / 2020, 17:58:45 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #14 on: 11 / March / 2020, 18:09:13 »
I have formatted the card.  Used Notepad and put ver.req on it and inserted the card into the camera.  Pushed the playback button on the camera and it says "No image"  I then push the Func Set button and then the Disp button and hold both and nothing displays, just the 'No image"

« Reply #15 on: 11 / March / 2020, 18:16:31 »
Hi waterwingz...I just saw your post.  Sorry, old guy here and not too computer literate.  I was following the previous post and starting from scratch by at least confirming what firmware is on the camera.  I put the ver.req on the sd card but unable to get the camera to display what firmware is on it.  I'm depressing the "FUNC SET" button and then depressing the "DISP" while the FUNC SET button is still depressed.  The screen just displays "No Image"

Do I need to dump the original factory firmware?
« Last Edit: 11 / March / 2020, 18:19:14 by Canada Goose »

« Reply #16 on: 11 / March / 2020, 19:02:20 »
If you are trying to determine your firmware version, use the ACID utility to examine a photo from your camera.   Google for it, I'm mobile more so can't find links quickly.  Or upload a picture from your camera somewhete and post a link to it and I'll look in a couple of hours.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #17 on: 11 / March / 2020, 19:06:42 »
Awesome, thank you...I'm sure grateful :)  I'm home now and will Google the Acid program and go from there.

« Reply #18 on: 11 / March / 2020, 19:28:14 »
Update:

I downloaded acid and found than my S80 has firmware 100g.  I downloaded the S80-100g1.4.1-5414-full sdhk firmware to my desktop and then extracted it to my SD card.  Installed the card and tried to upload the new firmware to the camera but it doesn't load :(  Maybe it's time to throw in the towel or the camera to the bin ???
« Last Edit: 11 / March / 2020, 19:53:47 by Canada Goose »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #19 on: 12 / March / 2020, 01:46:42 »
Update:

I downloaded acid and found than my S80 has firmware 100g.  I downloaded the S80-100g1.4.1-5414-full sdhk firmware to my desktop and then extracted it to my SD card. 
You should be able to use a program like Stick to prepare the card for you https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

Installed the card and tried to upload the new firmware to the camera but it doesn't load :( 
If you can describe specifically what happened, we may be able to help.
Don't forget what the H stands for.