What settings are best for Lightnight Shots - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

What settings are best for Lightnight Shots

• 4 Replies
What settings are best for Lightnight Shots
« on: 02 / March / 2008, 22:17:10 »
Advertisements
I have a SD1000 camera,

I was tested it outside today trying to capture some lightning, I don't what what settings to set the camera to do, and when I let it try to auto do it, it gave it a 1 sec exposure time, at 800 iso.   You could see stuff, but it was really grainy.  I'd think since the lightning was bright I can get away with a lower ISO number to get a clearer shot.  But I didn't wanna set it to low and have it just be a solid black picture.

I tried using the script from here but all the camera does it tries to focus, then stop, focus, stop, focus, stop, focus, stop.  And drains the battery really fast!
Plus, if you try to trigger it, it has to finish that current focus then it goes, so if it was lightning it would already been gone.

The one I have currently on mine that works, but it has to be a bright flash for it to set it off looks like this:
Code: [Select]
@title MD LightningA
@param a Columns
@default a 6
@param b Rows
@default b 4
@param c Threshold (0-255)
@default c 10
@param d Compare Interval (millisecs)
@default d 0
@param e Trigger Delay (0.1 secs)
@default e 1
@param f Time-out period (s)
@default f 3600
@param g Pix-Step(speed/accuracy adj)
@default g 6
@param i Measure Mode(1-Y,0-U,2-V)
@default i 1
@param j Direct Shoot (0=N 1=Y)
@default j 1
e=e*100
print ">[";a;",";b;"] threshold: ";c
x=f*1000
while 1
  press "shoot_half"
  md_detect_motion a, b, i, x, d, c, 1, t, 0, 1, 1, a, 0, j, g, e
  if j=0 then click "shoot_full"
rem the next loop is endless if AE lock is activated, use 205 for DigiII
  do
    get_prop 206 p
  until p<>1
wend
end

I was wondering if anyone that has taken lightning shots what script do you use?  Or what settings to you set the camera at?

And also is it possible to run a script, but have the LCD screen off (to save battery life)
« Last Edit: 02 / March / 2008, 22:36:18 by troyBORG »

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
Re: What settings are best for Lightnight Shots
« Reply #1 on: 03 / March / 2008, 09:48:54 »

« Reply #2 on: 03 / March / 2008, 10:27:37 »
yes I have, but the "MX3's Motion Detection" are dead links.  I think they said that it is now in the AllBest builds.

Well I looked all over and I can't find the option to turn on Motion Detection without it being a script doing it.

And I wasn't sure if a long exposure time would work with lightning, so I guess even though it would be bright then dark it will still keep the bright part and not not dull it down when the lightning is gone and back to darkness?

(For some reason I keep wanting to spell Lightning "Lightnight"  >:()

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #3 on: 03 / March / 2008, 10:50:35 »
Well I looked all over and I can't find the option to turn on Motion Detection without it being a script doing it.
Yes, the Motion Detection feature is now integrated in AllBest builds. You need a script to run it.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with lightning so let's wait to see if someone has.

Motion Detection is very subject dependent, you have to play with the settings to get the results you want. Try changing the parameters in the script:

rem              /--/-columns, rows to split picture into
rem              |  |  measure mode (Y,U,V R,G,B) - U-0, Y-1, V-2, 3-R, 4-G, 5-B
rem              |  |  |  timeout
rem              |  |  |  |  comparison interval (msec)
rem              |  |  |  |  |  threshold ( difference in cell to trigger detection)
rem              |  |  |  |  |  |  draw_grid (0-no, 1-yes)
rem              |  |  |  |  |  |  |  return variable, number of cells with motion detected
rem              |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  VVVVVV  OPTIONAL PARAMETERS: VVVV
rem              |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  region (masking) mode: 0-no regions, 1-include,  2-exclude
rem              |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  region first column
rem              |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  region first row
rem              |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  region last column
rem              |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  region last row
rem              |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  parameters- 1-make immediate shoot, 2-log debug information into file. OR-ed values are accepted
rem              |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  pixels step - speed vs. Accuracy adjustments (1-use every pixel, 2-use every second pixel, etc)
rem              |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  number of milliseconds to wait before begin triggering - can be useful for calibration with "draw_grid" option
rem              |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |  |
rem              V  V  V  V  V  V  V  V  V  V  V  V  V  V  V  V
                   16,12,i, x, h, f, 1, n,1, a, c, b,d, 0, g, e

« Reply #4 on: 04 / March / 2008, 14:49:39 »
I'll be playing around with mine the first chance I get. Wrong time of year in my part of the country for lightning. I've tried several of the lightning scripts. I think the one I have working best now is the MD-Burst one. That or LightningB2 I forget. I had a problem with the recurring focus-shoot-focus-shoot cycle but that seems to have gone away since Allbest build 34. Running build 37 now and while I haven't had any lightning to test it on--it works fine with my flashlight from across a darkened room.

I noticed an option in Allbest Build 37 where you can allow your power saving settings during scripts. I assume what that does is allow the LCD to power down when running a script as it would normally if you weren't. Without my cam in front of me I don't remember where it is. Miscellaneous stuff? Its on there.