Motion detection birds shots

• 83 Replies

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
Re: Motion detection birds shots
« Reply #20 on: 18 / April / 2008, 18:13:53 »
Advertisements
So why are your tits, I mean birds so out of focus? Is the script taking focus before shooting, or is it using the start focus?

Hej,
Well I don't really know because I don't know much (if anything) about coding. So if someone can explain me details about how works the script I'm using, he's welcome. But I think I read on the wiki page of the script that it locks focus before it shoots.
Anyway the main problem it's what it chooses to focus on... can be the bread, can be the bird, can be the plants behind... It's a matter of luck then. I noticed one serie is often focused on the same thing.
Also one cloud passing by the sun may increase the shutter time too much and blurry most of pics (you need to get around faster than 1/200s to freeze the bird eating).
Also another case is the bird showing the cam only its butt. :/

Also something I don't get : how the hell, being in macro mode, it can focus on the plants more than a meter away ?

« Reply #21 on: 19 / April / 2008, 17:42:38 »
Also something I don't get : how the hell, being in macro mode, it can focus on the plants more than a meter away ?

Depends on the zoom. My A570 can focus up to 4.4m or so in macro mode. I sugges using manual focus values in CHDK or placing something in place of the bread and focus on that. Future subjects picking the bread SHOULD be in that focus plane.

« Reply #22 on: 19 / April / 2008, 18:19:03 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:27:07 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
« Reply #23 on: 19 / April / 2008, 19:02:59 »
Hej,
Well but also there are reasons why I let the cam AF.

MF isn't easy to adjust from where the cam is,
I get birds at the bread but also sometimes much behind the bread (well those at the bread are usually better I have to agree),
I wanna try my luck and get the bird flying off (together with a lot of light but seems AF too slow anyway),

Also about hyperfocal I had read about that in the past and read a bit again just now... Seems I need to use bigger f-numbers to get good results... it's possible on sunny days but each time the light decreases a bit I get too slow shutter speeds and blurry birds too.
I may have missed so. though so please explain more how I could use that here.

Well anyway at first I thought the DOF would be really slim in macro mode but realized that at f2.6 I get enough DOF so that MF could work (on the bread).

Sadly no way to experiment these days since I had shitty weather (windy and cloudy) and had also messed with my script settings :/

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
« Reply #24 on: 20 / July / 2008, 20:11:56 »
Hej,
Well two more nice birds today, motion detection, without any food, just noticed they were often going there...
just changed slow mode, chroma detection and increased threshold to 30 due to branches moving a lot with the wind (fudgey script). Jucifer exp. build on A540. auto macro mode, Tv locked F2.6 and ISO100.

« Last Edit: 22 / July / 2008, 05:32:57 by yvesson »

« Reply #25 on: 21 / July / 2008, 20:45:29 »
Very nice pictures Yvesson,i got cats and they dont go well with these kind of setups,breadcrumbs and
all,would get some pretty grizzely pictures i guess,,,lol.
i did not realise the treshold settings.to get the camera to ignore the trees,but is that a distance
or movement treshold? if its the last the bird needs to move fast enough to breake the treashold??or?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #26 on: 22 / July / 2008, 02:01:00 »
i did not realise the treshold settings.to get the camera to ignore the trees,but is that a distance
or movement treshold? if its the last the bird needs to move fast enough to breake the treashold??or?

Neither. Threshold is a luminance (by default, Y channel selected) difference that makes the MD trigger.
Read the documentation in the zip available at Fast MD with burst/preview mode.

« Reply #27 on: 22 / July / 2008, 10:06:00 »
Ahh,thx fudgey.even smarter than i expected.

« Reply #28 on: 19 / May / 2009, 16:25:41 »
Thought this may be of interest.
Using a A590IS coupled to a Leica Spotting scope. Script used MDFB 080419 Digic III. Lot of movement....lot of images. Images changed to an Animated GIF using ULead GIF Animator.

Terry

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
« Reply #29 on: 19 / May / 2009, 16:53:15 »
Hej,
Why don't you put the cam very close to the place where the birds may come, as I did ?
You'd get a much better quality.

*edited* : I have some new shots btw, from this winter :

[OFF TOPIC]
Now with SX10IS, don't need motion detection to get closer (but still hard to get close enough, impossible to get the same quality as macro mode of A540, think about it) :

And anyway this is a white wagtail, and those will never come and eat with the tits, cause it's only interested in insects.
« Last Edit: 19 / May / 2009, 18:00:34 by yvesson »