chdkptp - alternative ptp client - page 57 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

chdkptp - alternative ptp client

• 1106 Replies

Offline lyzby

Re: alternative ptp client
« Reply #560 on: 16 / February / 2014, 12:50:19 »
Advertisements
Using "luar" in the command line parameters for chdkptp fixed the problem of not shooting (with rs) because the zoom script had not finished.  Thank you. 

chdkptp -c -e"rec" -e"lua set_prop(220,4)" -e"luar set_zoom(20)" -e"rs /var/www/current"

Let me ask 2 questions about live view.

1.  Is it possible with chdkptp to download a "snapshot" of the live view in a way similar to using "rs"?

2.  If so, is it likely to be significantly faster to do that and decode it into a jpg and put it in a web server directory than it is to just take a vga shot with "rs", which does all the work for you but at a somewhat higher resolution?  By "significantly faster" I mean more than a second.  For reference, I would be talking about an SX120IS.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #561 on: 16 / February / 2014, 15:53:47 »
1.  Is it possible with chdkptp to download a "snapshot" of the live view in a way similar to using "rs"?
Yes, using the dumpframes command. This saves the data in chdkptp lvdump format, which is essentially the raw live view protocol data with a minimal header.

Adding an option to output frames in a standard image format is on my list of things to do.
2.  If so, is it likely to be significantly faster to do that and decode it into a jpg and put it in a web server directory than it is to just take a vga shot with "rs", which does all the work for you but at a somewhat higher resolution?  By "significantly faster" I mean more than a second.  For reference, I would be talking about an SX120IS.
Yes. It can do 10-20 frames per second.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline lyzby

« Reply #562 on: 16 / February / 2014, 17:16:59 »
Adding an option to output frames in a standard image format is on my list of things to do.
Sweet.  I'd be happy to test on multiple platforms--A590IS, SX120IS, SX40HS.  For my purposes, 320x240 might be ideal, although any jpg would be fine.

Any idea of a timeframe--weeks or months?

« Reply #563 on: 16 / February / 2014, 18:43:10 »
Nice!
Is there a place where I can see the to-do list? under Tickets?
https://www.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/tickets

There are also 2 features I really love to have:
1) Shortcut keys for all the buttons in the UI.
2) Mirrored preview image.

Thanks

Offline reyalp

« Reply #564 on: 17 / February / 2014, 02:11:29 »
Any idea of a timeframe--weeks or months?
I checked in some very preliminary code to do this in r487

This adds a -pbm option to dumpframes. This saves the viewport data as ppm and the bitmap (ui overlay) as pam. You can use -novp or -nobm to turn either one off.

The files are saved in the original resolution of the data, without any aspect ratio correction so they will  appear quite distorted on most cameras.

pam is not as widely supported as other the other netpbm formats, but is the only one that supports an alpha channel. Imagmagick convert can be used to turn them into something more common.

Since the images are unscaled, you would probably want to run them through something like imagemagick or  the netpbm tools anyway.

This is very preliminary, I will probably change things significantly before the the next released build.

Some things I'd like to do
- support dumping the frames from an existing lvdump file
- support piping the pbm data directly to another program
- recording frames from the gui while live view is running
- better control of the filenames

Offline reyalp

« Reply #565 on: 17 / February / 2014, 02:17:23 »
Is there a place where I can see the to-do list? under Tickets?
https://www.assembla.com/spaces/chdkptp/tickets
In theory. In practice a lot of it is just in my head ;)
There are also 2 features I really love to have:
1) Shortcut keys for all the buttons in the UI.
2) Mirrored preview image.
Thanks for the reminder. Shortcut keys definitely seem like a valuable feature. Mirrored preview doesn't seem as widely useful but if there is an easy way to do it I'll try.

« Reply #566 on: 17 / February / 2014, 18:32:20 »
Thanks for the reminder. Shortcut keys definitely seem like a valuable feature. Mirrored preview doesn't seem as widely useful but if there is an easy way to do it I'll try.
Great! Thank you in advance.

At the moment, when I record video with my camera (for YouTube) I always have to use my microphone stand and hangs a small mirror which mirrors the LCD image of the camera. So I can look in the mirror and ensure I'm still in the frame hahaha...  A mirrored preview would save all the hassle.

« Reply #567 on: 17 / February / 2014, 22:47:29 »
Hi nafraf,
I keep getting 404 attachment not found. Could you please post it again?
Thanks

@trig
Test version for ixus800_sd700-101b/101a (filewrite task and simpler loader support) in attachment.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #568 on: 18 / February / 2014, 01:45:29 »
reyalp, is it possible to later on add a parameter for custom filenames for each image by passing parameters to each individual "s" command?
In changeset 489, you can use "path" in rsint to set the output path. This works the same way as the initial destination argument to rs or rsint.

example
Code: [Select]
con> rsint
rsint> path temp
rsint> s
rc file temp/IMG_1531.jpg 1
rsint> path temp/foo
rsint> s
rc file temp/foo.jpg
(temp was an existing directory)

Offline tpont

« Reply #569 on: 19 / February / 2014, 16:15:22 »
In changeset 489, you can use "path" in rsint to set the output path. This works the same way as the initial destination argument to rs or rsint.
Nice! I have used rsint some more and it just works. The path command will make it easier  to keep track of pairs of photos from two cameras.