Pros and Cons of NR (Noise-Reduction) Always On - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Pros and Cons of NR (Noise-Reduction) Always On

• 2 Replies
Pros and Cons of NR (Noise-Reduction) Always On
« on: 25 / February / 2008, 08:15:29 »
Advertisements
Has anyone done any test on whether image quality is improved or worsened by having the Dark-Frame subtract always on?

I would have thought that when low ISO settings are used it should have no real effect (since there is not much noise), so the dark-frame should just be pure black. When high ISO settings are used, I would imagine it should improve photos a lot by cancelling out the noisy pixels. This assumes that that the random noise pattern does not change much between the real exposure and the dark frame.

Do people have opinions and/or test results on this? If not, then perhaps I will run some tests on my A620.

Elia

Re: Pros and Cons of NR (Noise-Reduction) Always On
« Reply #1 on: 27 / February / 2008, 14:52:03 »
I've read about this in the depreview's Canon talk forum. On the whole, people use to prefer let it OFF. It seems to many of them that IQ is better without dark frame substract
Look there for more info

Re: Pros and Cons of NR (Noise-Reduction) Always On
« Reply #2 on: 27 / February / 2008, 21:14:58 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 12:46:29 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye