Canon sx260 HS f stop? - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Canon sx260 HS f stop?

• 3 Replies
Canon sx260 HS f stop?
« on: 12 / May / 2013, 21:33:53 »
Advertisements
Does the chdk allow me to change f stop?

I'm new to cameras but I'm not satisfied with the f stop on this camera. I have it set to f/3.5 and I would like the backgrounds behind my subject to be much more blurry.

I'm new to chdk too. Is there a stable build for the sx260?  And is there instructions on how to install?

I'm on my phone so I haven't really looked into it but will as soon as I get on a computer. Thanks

Re: Canon sx260 HS f stop?
« Reply #1 on: 12 / May / 2013, 22:41:04 »
Does the chdk allow me to change f stop?
If your camera actually has a variable aperature then CHDK will allow you to change it.  A quick google of the sx260 shows it has a range of f3.5 - f8.0, which can be manually controlled with or without CHDK.

CHDK cannot extend this range - its a physical limit of the camera construction.

I'm new to cameras but I'm not satisfied with the f stop on this camera. I have it set to f/3.5 and I would like the backgrounds behind my subject to be much more blurry.
The little lenses used on P&S cameras might not match expensive lenses used on DSLR's but they do have really powerful depth of field.  For the average snap shot photographer this is a good thing - getting good focus on their subject becomes easy.   But as you have discovered,  more professional effects become difficult.  This is an issue with all P&S cameras - not just your sx260.

I'm new to chdk too. Is there a stable build for the sx260?  And is there instructions on how to install?
Yes - http://mighty-hoernsche.de/  The alpha/beta ranking of the builds is somewhat arbitrary.  Best to follow the porting thread of a camera you are interested in : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7889.460

As for instructions,  start here : http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card
« Last Edit: 12 / May / 2013, 22:52:16 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 13 / May / 2013, 00:13:21 »
If your camera actually has a variable aperature then CHDK will allow you to change it.  A quick google of the sx260 shows it has a range of f3.5 - f8.0, which can be manually controlled with or without CHDK.

CHDK cannot extend this range - its a physical limit of the camera construction.
This is not quite correct. The Canon UI limits are not necessarily the physical limits, and in some cases CHDK can make the hardware exceed the Canon UI limits. However, in practice this usually works in the opposite of the desired direction (higher F stops), and even if CHDK could make it open a bit wider, the small sensor size means it wouldn't be enough to get a real shallow focus.

Searching the forum for "bokeh" will turn up previous discussions of the topic.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 13 / May / 2013, 12:26:56 »
This is not quite correct. The Canon UI limits are not necessarily the physical limits, and in some cases CHDK can make the hardware exceed the Canon UI limits.
Good clarification.  In the case of the camera aperature,  getting one extra very small stop stop is interesting but pretty much useless for most people.  And the small additional ISO range probably does not matter much either.  However,  being able to extend the shutter speed to both faster and slower than Canon allows is a big deal.
« Last Edit: 13 / May / 2013, 13:35:47 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16