Canon A560A - unable to load firmware- can anyine help please? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Canon A560A - unable to load firmware- can anyine help please?

• 5 Replies
Canon A560A - unable to load firmware- can anyine help please?
« on: 25 / February / 2008, 05:35:35 »
Advertisements

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: Canon A560A - unable to load firmware- can anyine help please?
« Reply #1 on: 25 / February / 2008, 06:41:34 »
Hi !
Don't know about 4 files -- I only found 2 in the .7z
You did not download the source archive by accident, did you ?
Anyway, you should have at least boot.bin and ps.fir on your card.
In fact, the manual boot only needs the ps.fir I checked the archive
and it contained a560-100a.fir and boot.bin  Try renaming
a560-100a.fir --> ps.fir and it should work
Use the print button (on my cam = A620) to enter alt mode,
that could be different on yours, but just try 'em 1 by 1:
You should see <Alt> @ bottom middle screen. Then press
Menu to show the CHDK menu.

Once you get CHDK onto your cam you have the option to make it
boot everytime you start; for this you need the boot.bin on your card.
CHDK menu --> Debug Options --> Make card bootable....  ,
followed by LOCKING YOUR CARD.

good luck and let me know if it worked,

wim
« Last Edit: 25 / February / 2008, 07:02:40 by whim »

« Reply #2 on: 25 / February / 2008, 09:13:29 »
Thanks for a quick response.

When I downloaded the A560A file from the WIKI and unzipped it I had the DISKBOOT.BIN and the PS.FIR files plus 2 folders - CHDK (containing5 further folders -book, grid, scripts,fonts,lang).
and other folder was DCIM containing a stereo datafile.

As I said , it offers the change firmware option which I accept but the camera then switches off. Because of this I do not think that the upgarde has "taken" . There is only one upgade for the CanonA560A camera in the WIKI site so I am  sure that I have downloaded the correct one. Is there a way of determining if the firmward has changed? Every time I restart from the play mode it offers the upgrade so I assume it had not changed before.
Any other ideas, please?

Rob

Offline BB

« Reply #3 on: 25 / February / 2008, 09:30:55 »
You can check here:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._How_can_I_get_the_original_firmware_version_number_of_my_camera.3F

and confirm that you have the correct version of firmware on your camera (each load of CHDK is custom to each camera version of firmware).

I don't know what else is wrong unless you accidentally picked up the wrong CHDK programs (like A650 instead of A560). It is also possible that a particular build has a bug... Check the site for a new build (new date) or one of the various other CHDK "family" programs produced by other's (like Microfunguy or Fingalo).

Lastly, have you tried the DISKBOOT.BIN version of the program (format card to FAT16, copy *.BIN to card root, make card bootable, write protect, then turn on camera in any mode)?

-Bill

PS: CHDK is not a "Firmware Upgrade"--it does not rewrite any of the software/firmware inside of the camera no matter how you load it.

Instead, CHDK is more like a software application on your computer. You load the software each time you want (either through the "Firmware Upgrade" option (which tell's the camera's internal firmware to load whatever is on the memory card in the *.FIR file) or during the camera boot processes (where the camera checks if the card is FAT16, the card has been marked "bootable", the card is write-protected, and there is a file named DISKBOOT.BIN on the card)...

In either method, the CHDK program is loaded into "main memory" and control turned over to the loaded CHDK program... At that point (from what little I know) the CHDK program calls the normal Cannon boot code and the camera finishes booting then returns to overall control to the CHDK program/application still running in main memory.

CHDK then intercepts key presses and other camera functions and then either does some work on its own, or simply calls one of the camera's own function to perform the desired actions.

Once you turn your camera off--the CHDK program in memory "goes away"--and you start the whole process over again the next time the camera is turned on... -BB
« Last Edit: 25 / February / 2008, 10:18:52 by BB »

« Reply #4 on: 25 / February / 2008, 14:22:38 »
]Many thanks guys!

I was beginning to give up hope - after buying 2 A560s  to do stereo work I thought that I might have to send the cameras back.

However, thanks BB, because i went to the Fingalo site and found a different version which apperas to do the trick.

I hope that if any other A560 users attempt to do what I have that they will be able to spot this thread and try another version of the CHDK.

Rob

« Reply #5 on: 25 / February / 2008, 19:15:42 »
Rob,

you are trying to install 'StereoData Maker'.

Contact me directly and we will work-through your problem.

David