RAM Dump results in coorupt file on SD card - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

RAM Dump results in coorupt file on SD card

• 5 Replies
RAM Dump results in coorupt file on SD card
« on: 25 / October / 2008, 02:51:57 »
Advertisements
Hi all,

I've encountered a problem on my SD500. I enabled "Debug parameters->ALT +/- debug action->Dmp RAM". Now when I press the DISP button (there're no +/- buttons available), the blue led lights up for some time and then goes out. When I check my SD-card afterwards, a file \DCIM\100CANON\CRW_0001.JPG is created. The size is 33,548,032 bytes. I assume this is the ram-dump.

However, when I try to access the file or copy it to my HD, windows reports to me that the file is "corrupted and unreadable".

I am running ixus700_sd500-101b-0.6.2-536

Anybody else having similar problems?

Thanks,

TheJez

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: RAM Dump results in coorupt file on SD card
« Reply #1 on: 25 / October / 2008, 03:23:15 »
opens fine for me on HD (trunk 541 on A620-100f)

size/name same as yours

wim

edit: same build tested OK on ixus70_sd1000-101b as well

edit2: maybe test your windows-cardreader-SDcard chain by copying some random files to and from card,
         to make sure the prob is actually caused by CHDK ? I recently had some pretty weird windows behaviour
         just from accidentally sticking a SDHC card in my non-SDHC cardreader ... even after removal of card it
         refused to properly read another, non-SDHC card until i rebooted ...

« Last Edit: 25 / October / 2008, 04:36:29 by whim »

Offline user1

« Reply #2 on: 25 / October / 2008, 04:45:31 »
However, when I try to access the file or copy it to my HD, windows reports to me that the file is "corrupted and unreadable".

"corrupted and unreadable" as JPEG? Of course, this is dump, not image :)

Online reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 25 / October / 2008, 04:50:13 »
"corrupted and unreadable" as JPEG? Of course, this is dump, not image :)
You should still be able to copy the file. Only opening it as a jpeg would be a problem. We routinely use the wrong extension for CHDK files. In my experience this works both using the USB cable, or going through a card reader.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 25 / October / 2008, 06:02:44 »
@user1:
I tried to open it with a hex viewer, not as jpg but just as a binary file... When that didn't work (the viewer reported 'error opening file'), I tried to do copy-paste with Windows Explorer, resulting in the "corrupted and unreadable" error. When I run chkdsk on the SD-card, it reports errors. The only thing I can do is remove the file from the SD-card, and then chkdsk reports no errors anymore... All other files generated by CHDK (like logs and cfg files) read just fine...

TheJez

« Reply #5 on: 25 / October / 2008, 06:26:42 »
Hi all,

An addition to my previous post: I just tried copying the dump file through a USB-cable connected to the camera, and it worked! However, when I try to copy the file through the card reader, I still get the error message. Very strange, and I'm not 100% sure if it's CHDK, Windows, my SD card reader, maybe a combination or whatever.... What does matter is that I'm capable now of getting the dump to my HD :-)

Thanks!

TheJez