HELP - Canon SX150 and Canon SX 100 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

HELP - Canon SX150 and Canon SX 100

• 2 Replies
HELP - Canon SX150 and Canon SX 100
« on: 04 / July / 2012, 13:17:33 »
Advertisements
Greetings,

I am in the process of purchasing 1400 units of the Canon SX150 IS digital camera. These are replacing the older SX100 IS cameras. The problem is, that the 150s do not longer support Canons SDK which I need to use to integrate with my current proprietary software.

So I was planning on using your solution (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_For_Newbies_-_How_To_Install)  to integrate the 150s with my software.  Basically I use the cameras to take a picture of customers when sigining up. It is a simple database that includes name, age, and photo. I need to be able to control de camera from within the software (zoom and click to take photo).

I really need your help on making this happen and am willing to pay very well for you’re the consultation.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you,

Jorge
jmealla -at- yahoo.com

Offline c10ud

Re: HELP - Canon SX150 and Canon SX 100
« Reply #1 on: 04 / July / 2012, 14:09:37 »
Looks like a nice project, i will contact you privately.

Offline reyalp

Re: HELP - Canon SX150 and Canon SX 100
« Reply #2 on: 04 / July / 2012, 16:18:55 »
I am in the process of purchasing 1400 units of the Canon SX150 IS digital camera. These are replacing the older SX100 IS cameras. The problem is, that the 150s do not longer support Canons SDK which I need to use to integrate with my current proprietary software.
Hmm, sx150 is ~ $150 retail these days, so taking a wag that you are paying half that in bulk, that's something on the order of a hundred grand... and you plan to run this off a completely unsupported hack ?

This seems like a extraordinarily bad idea, especially if you do not have the expertise to fix it in house. While it's certainly your choice, there's a few things you should keep in mind:
1) CHDK is a hack.
2) There is no warranty, not "even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE". It's up to you to decide whether it is suitable for your application, and if that decision turns out to be wrong, it is 100% your responsibility.
3) No one is under any obligation to provide you any sort of support whatsoever. Anything you get here from the community is provided by individuals, at their own discretion with out any obligation or commitment to accuracy.
4) The PTP interface is particularly hacky and unstable. See for example the discussion starting here:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=4338.msg87093#msg87093
While this particular issue is probably solved, you should be aware that similar things could crop up and not be solved. If you do not understand that discussion, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go buy a professionally built system to solve your problem.
Don't forget what the H stands for.