Canon s5 script on Canon g9 (sunset5.bas, yass2.bas) Confirmed and working! - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Canon s5 script on Canon g9 (sunset5.bas, yass2.bas) Confirmed and working!

• 5 Replies
Advertisements
Hi,

Is it possible if you will use the sunset5.bas written for s5 on a canon g9?
« Last Edit: 29 / September / 2012, 02:26:22 by acsian »

Re: Canon s5 script on Canon g9
« Reply #1 on: 27 / September / 2012, 08:49:56 »
yes

but you might like this script better : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=3079.0
« Last Edit: 27 / September / 2012, 08:55:56 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 27 / September / 2012, 09:38:49 »
Thanks for the quick reply!

I've just tested my g9 using sunset5.bas script.

My exposure limit is 5", iso around 800ish, start iso is 100.

Test conditions inside my living room. First I started with all the lights open and an exposure of 1s, f2.8.
When I turned off some lights, (not all at the same time), it adjusts the exposure speed to 1.6s, 2s until it reached 3.2s when all the lights were turned off except for a lamp shade. Went well, no bugs.

How does it compare to the sunsetf16 script? Whats the difference?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: 27 / September / 2012, 09:42:23 by acsian »

« Reply #3 on: 29 / September / 2012, 00:47:43 »
I tested yass2 and sunset5.bas scripts. I inspected the code and they have the same logic except yass2.bas runs faster with less debugging info and no pauses (sleep time).  They differ in default values.
I tested both and sunset5.bas default values corrects the scene better and faster while yass has a conservative slope which is good if you want your sunset scene a little underexpose when the sun sets.

I experimented with guess mode values. -50 to -100 is good.  yass2.bas starts at 0 guess mode and corrects the brightness at +8 slope value. I'm satisfied with -50 to -100 guess mode and 5 guess slope value.  At -300 guess mode value,  it's as close as Av metering. In my opinion if its a sunset scene, it should be underexposed and gets darker and darker until the city lights come out. A conservative guess mode value is good (0 to -100) to minimize flicker or sudden changes in brightness.  You can play with 0 to -200 guess mode values depending on your taste.
« Last Edit: 30 / September / 2012, 21:41:10 by acsian »

Re: Canon s5 script on Canon g9 (sunset5.bas, yass2.bas) Confirmed and working!
« Reply #4 on: 29 / September / 2012, 12:14:36 »
Nice app notes - thanks.  Could save someone quite a bit of time getting those scripts setup.

Did you try the sunset16  script I linked for you ?  I believe it has a lot more functionality that sunset5 but it may be too complicated to understand well ?

Also,  when you post information about a script, it would be nice if you included a link to where you found it.   There is a lot of junk on the forum and wiki (messy) so finding the actual script you are referring too can be a challenge.   

For example,  I was unable to find a yass2 script using the search engines on the wiki or the forum.  I think I finally found it here :  http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=4685.msg45389#msg45389  but I have no way  of knowing if this is the version you used.
« Last Edit: 29 / September / 2012, 12:26:43 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Re: Canon s5 script on Canon g9 (sunset5.bas, yass2.bas) Confirmed and working!
« Reply #5 on: 30 / September / 2012, 21:26:21 »
Yes, that's where I downloaded my yass2 file.

No I haven't tried the sunsetf16.lua because of the reported bugs on that thread. The author of yass2- soulf2, also commented it has long pauses. Here's the link to his video: Canon SD 1100 IS Time Lapse Tests with CHDK : Sunset4.bas vs. SunsetF16.lua .

Here's the yass2 in action from soulf2.
New Years Eve Sunset Time Lapse

Either sunset5.bas or yass2 will do good as long as you nail the right parameters. I wont go pass iso 400 at night unless you want the stars to show up. I only use iso 80 to 200.

I also tried the lapse.lua script for fixed exposure. Its smooth and fast and turns the LCD off.

Here's my share of videos from my G9 using lapse.lua.

Canon G9 using CHDK lapse.lua script. Araneta Ave @ Quezon Ave, Q.C., Philippines Timelapse

Roxas Blvd timelapse. Canon G9 using CHDK hack.

G9 time lapse in vehicle using CHDK

I'm still waiting for a nice sunset to try the sunset5.bas/yass2 script. I'll update this thread.

Nice app notes - thanks.  Could save someone quite a bit of time getting those scripts setup.

Did you try the sunset16  script I linked for you ?  I believe it has a lot more functionality that sunset5 but it may be too complicated to understand well ?

Also,  when you post information about a script, it would be nice if you included a link to where you found it.   There is a lot of junk on the forum and wiki (messy) so finding the actual script you are referring too can be a challenge.   

For example,  I was unable to find a yass2 script using the search engines on the wiki or the forum.  I think I finally found it here :  http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=4685.msg45389#msg45389  but I have no way  of knowing if this is the version you used.
« Last Edit: 30 / September / 2012, 21:37:27 by acsian »