Using CHDK, how to use Macro and Super Macro setting on SX20? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Using CHDK, how to use Macro and Super Macro setting on SX20?

• 4 Replies
Using CHDK, how to use Macro and Super Macro setting on SX20?
« on: 01 / October / 2011, 09:16:26 »
Advertisements
Hello to all those on this fine forum!

I have read the documentation multiple times before finally installing CHDK a few days ago, and since this morning I have gone to version 1345 for my Canon SX20 (firmware version 102.b).
I thought I understood the idea when 'playing around' in the living room.
But the first hour outdoor using CHDK brought more questions than I could imagine. I have solved nearly all with the documentation (both the pdf's and what I read on the forum).

But one problem remains: how can I use the Macro and Super Macro setting that my SX20 (firmware version 1.02b) has?

I cannot find how I must activate what the thumbwheel's function in the 'regular' Canon Menu gives: the settings for Normal, Macro and Super Macro. And when outside I use those a lot for insects, flowers, plants, etc.

I may have overlooked this in the documentation.  :-[
But could anybody perhaps help me with this problem?  ::)

Thanks for any help -
and in general I want to say thanks to all those guys that have put so much time in making and adapting CHDK and helping out the simple users like myself!

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
Re: Using CHDK, how to use Macro and Super Macro setting on SX20?
« Reply #1 on: 02 / October / 2011, 19:52:32 »
Hello to all those on this fine forum!

I have read the documentation multiple times before finally installing CHDK a few days ago, and since this morning I have gone to version 1345 for my Canon SX20 (firmware version 102.b).
I thought I understood the idea when 'playing around' in the living room.
But the first hour outdoor using CHDK brought more questions than I could imagine. I have solved nearly all with the documentation (both the pdf's and what I read on the forum).

But one problem remains: how can I use the Macro and Super Macro setting that my SX20 (firmware version 1.02b) has?

I cannot find how I must activate what the thumbwheel's function in the 'regular' Canon Menu gives: the settings for Normal, Macro and Super Macro. And when outside I use those a lot for insects, flowers, plants, etc.

I may have overlooked this in the documentation.  :-[
But could anybody perhaps help me with this problem?  ::)

Thanks for any help -
and in general I want to say thanks to all those guys that have put so much time in making and adapting CHDK and helping out the simple users like myself!
Although this isn't a CHDK question, I'll try to keep the reply short. On page 72 of the SX20 Canon Users Guide, "Shooting Close-ups (Macro/Super Macro)", will explain how to activate/switch between Normal, Macro and Super-Macro modes. In order to ensure your photos are in focus you'll need to know which mode you should be using and whether you can actually focus on the subject. Per the text on page 72, "When you move the zoom lever, the zoom bar appears on the screen. The camera cannot focus in <macro> in the yellow portion of the bar. When zooming within the range of the yellow bar, <macro> will be grayed out and shooting will be done in <normal>."

One of the quickest ways to insure the subject will be in focus in Normal, Macro or Super Macro modes is to be sure AF-Point Zoom is enabled (page 84 of the SX20 Canon Users Guide). I use it a lot when shooting to decide which mode to use for the shot. If the focus point is magnified, then the distance subject wil be in focus and I use that mode. If it isn't magnified, then you MAY need to switch to one of the other modes (normal, macro or super-macro). Note, I say MAY because there are other possible reasons for not getting a popup magnified window.

If you need a copy of the SX20 Canon Users Guide: http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/0300002359/03/PSSX20IS_CUG_EN_02.pdf

Hope this helps!

« Last Edit: 02 / October / 2011, 20:15:08 by SkyWalker9 »

« Reply #2 on: 07 / October / 2011, 08:51:11 »
Thanks very much for your elaborate answer, SkyWalker9.
But I see now that my question does not make my problem clear.
Apologies for that.  :-[

What I need to find out is how to use the 'Macro' and 'Super Macro' while I have CHDK running on my SX20.
When Running CHDK I see all the features of CHDK and I already tried many of them with pleasure.
But I do not know how to get to the Macro and Super Mascro settings WHILE CHDK is active.

So how / where can I get to them in CHDK?

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #3 on: 07 / October / 2011, 19:47:19 »
What I need to find out is how to use the 'Macro' and 'Super Macro' while I have CHDK running on my SX20...how to get to the Macro and Super Mascro settings WHILE CHDK is active.
While in CHDK, only the CHDK menus will be available; while out of CHDK only the Canon menus will be available. You must exit CHDK to use the Canon menus. However, options/settings can be set in either menu and they will stay active until changed.

For example, if you wanted to use Super Macro while using a CHDK script, you would need to set it using the Canon menu before entering CHDK. Hope that helps!

« Reply #4 on: 08 / October / 2011, 10:11:31 »
Now I know how to use Macro and Super Macro in combination with CHDK.

Many thanks for your replies, SkyWalker9!