ELPH 180 Issues - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

ELPH 180 Issues

• 3 Replies
ELPH 180 Issues
« on: 01 / June / 2020, 09:21:53 »
Advertisements
Hi, I'm having trouble getting this figured out on my ELPH 180. Here is what I have done.

1. Formatted the sd card while in camera
2. Took a picture and stored on card
3. Plugged the card directly into my computer
4. Ran the picture through the ACID program and it came up with a firmware version of 1.00c. It showed a trunk CHDK full build and Experimentals CHDK-DE full build were available.
5. I downloaded both and separately unzipping the folders and dragging them onto the card.
6. Plugged the card back into the camera
7. Pressed the PLAY button and then the MENU button. Tried to find the firmware update option but it doesn't appear. Don't know what else to do.

Re: ELPH 180 Issues
« Reply #1 on: 01 / June / 2020, 13:47:56 »
5. I downloaded both and separately unzipping the folders and dragging them onto the card.
No need to do both - almost the only difference is the default language. The second one you loaded simply overwrote the first one in any case.

Which brings up two possible problems.

1) Are you using an Apple computer? There are some things you need to be aware of if so,
2) Did you expand the ZIP files into the root folder of the SD card?  You should see an ps.fi2 file in the top level folder of the card if you did it correctly.

7. Pressed the PLAY button and then the MENU button. Tried to find the firmware update option but it doesn't appear. Don't know what else to do.

Typically, you just need to press the down arrow button on the first menu tab that opens until you see the Firmware Update option.

Most people get tired of using the Firmware Update method of loading CHDK pretty quickly.   The "SD Card Lock" method is a lot easier.  Details at this link - using one of the two automatic installer options linked at the top of the page is a really good ide

Link >>   Prepare your SD Card

Edit : not sure if this is still relevant to recent Mac's but it has tripped people up in the past : 

https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/FAQ/Mac#Short_Answer
« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2020, 13:53:09 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 01 / June / 2020, 15:31:16 »
It worked, thank you so much. I'm wondering if you can help me with another issue I'm having. I will be using this camera for a 4 month time lapse and in order to remedy the issue of the battery dying I've taken the battery out and constructed a plastic box the same size as the battery with a diode in it. This is on the end of a USB cable so it fits into the camera and plugs into a portable usb battery or wall charger. It works fine when I plug it into an external battery source but if I use a brick for say an apple or samsung phone into the wall it doesn't work. Does this have something to do with the internal construction of the charging brick? Is there a generic one that I could use? Thanks

« Reply #3 on: 01 / June / 2020, 21:29:04 »
It works fine when I plug it into an external battery source but if I use a brick for say an apple or samsung phone into the wall it doesn't work. Does this have something to do with the internal construction of the charging brick? Is there a generic one that I could use? Thanks
So your portable USB battery charger works but not your "wall warts"?  ("Brick" usually refers more to the powerpacks for laptops.)

Some cheap clone wall warts might not be able to put out enough current when the camera starts up.  Start up draws a lot of inrush power as internal' things start up and motors move and dislays turn on.  Battery packs typically can deal with that type of inrush.

« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2020, 21:30:37 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16