CHDK loads off one card, not off another? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDK loads off one card, not off another?

• 5 Replies

Offline eheil

CHDK loads off one card, not off another?
« on: 09 / April / 2008, 21:07:34 »
Advertisements
Hey, I've been a very happy CHDK user (with an A570IS) for a few weeks now.  I've just bought my second memory card and I'm having problems getting CHDK to load from it.

My first card was very nice -- a SanDisk Ultra II, 1 gig.  I got the latest Allbest (#49) running from it, no problem, and have been using it for a few weeks.

I got a second card, a much cheaper one, from PNY, also 1 gig, to use as a backup.  I put it in the A570 and had the camera give it a low-level format.  Then, using a card reader and my computer (a macbook) I copied my PS.FIR and DISKBOOT.BIN files from the old card directly to the root directory of this one.

No love!  I don't get a firmware upgrade menu item at all.  The camera behaves as if PS.FIR and DISKBOOT.BIN are not there at all.  I tried flipping on the lock but then the camera just complains about a locked card.  Still no firmware upgrade menu item.

Just to make sure I was doing the right thing I re-downloaded the zipfile of the build that had worked for me before, unzipped it and copied *those* files in there.  No effect.

Any obvious things I should check on here?  I have no idea what I did differently from the old card to this one.  Maybe I shouldn't have low-level formatted it?  No idea.

Thanks very much for any assistance!

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
Re: CHDK loads off one card, not off another?
« Reply #1 on: 09 / April / 2008, 23:52:32 »
Try take a picture using your new SD and then look the "Firmware Update" menu again. There were some reports that some cameras do not display update menu on new cards.
CHDK Developer.

« Reply #2 on: 10 / April / 2008, 03:54:18 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:06:21 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline eheil

« Reply #3 on: 10 / April / 2008, 08:12:54 »
Thanks for the reply!

Hmm -- that would explain why it didn't work when I used the freshly unzipped files, but not why it didn't work when I used copies of the files that had worked previously on the other card.  (I had unzipped those with a command line utility that didn't add the security flag!)

I tried again, using the command line utility for the zipfile this time so there would be no security flag, using the 'xattr -d' command just to make doubly sure, and making sure there were no '@' signs in the ls -l output, with no better luck than before.

I wonder if it could be the low level format I gave the card?  Would that affect anything?

I'm about ready to return the card.  "Sorry, guys, it didn't work.  I mean, it took pictures just fine but it stopped me from hacking my firmware!"

Offline eheil

« Reply #4 on: 10 / April / 2008, 18:16:42 »
Well, I took the darn thing back, bought another of the kind I already had (SanDisk Ultra II 1 gig) and that one works great.  I guess I won't be buying PNY again!

« Reply #5 on: 07 / May / 2008, 21:07:06 »
I can confirm that in trying to get CHDK to work on a 2gb PNY card that it also gave problems and would not load CHDK. My friend took it back and got a Sandisk Ultra II and it loaded fine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<