WASP - a simple way to switch partitions under Windows - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

WASP - a simple way to switch partitions under Windows

• 4 Replies

Offline zeno

WASP - a simple way to switch partitions under Windows
« on: 05 / July / 2013, 04:10:35 »
Advertisements
Unlike Mac OSX and Linux, Windows will only let you access the active partition on dual partition cards. Two partitions are needed on cards bigger than 4Gb if your camera was released before January 2011 (later cameras can boot from FAT32, so only one partition is needed).

This is a real pain - the active partition has to be the small FAT16 one if the camera is to autoboot SDM or CHDK, but has to be the big FAT32 one if you want to transfer photos or scripts. The existing ways to switch partitions are a bit cumbersome, so I've written WASP (Windows App to Swap Partitions). It's written in java and makes switching back and forth simple and quick.

hyperlink modified - thanks Paul!
« Last Edit: 05 / July / 2013, 06:16:20 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline Pauls9

• S3 IS
Re: WASP - a simple way to switch partitions under Windows
« Reply #1 on: 05 / July / 2013, 04:45:17 »
Looks like a very useful app.

You may wish to amend the hyperlink though: http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/wasp/wasp.html

Thanks!

Offline zeno

« Reply #2 on: 29 / August / 2014, 10:47:25 »
Jeff MacWright pointed out that though Mac OSX lets you see both partitions and hence mostly avoids the need for partition switching, if you want to use a two-partition card unlocked then the camera will only see the small partition and thus won't let you take many photos.

As a result I've written an OSX version of WASP - it's called SOAP and you can download it here:
  http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/soap/soap.html
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #3 on: 09 / March / 2019, 06:16:27 »
Hello,

this App is exactly what I am looking for, but I am running into some problems. I can not make WASP see my partitioned SD card, which is a 512GB SDXC card. I changed the properties file to specify the maximum size. Please see attached logs. Starting wasp.jar gives me error attached as wasplog1.txt.
Starting waspx.cmd results in error attached as wasplog2.txt.

Could you give me an advice how to make WASP work?

Edit: Could it be, that WASP only works with cards smaller than 256GB?
« Last Edit: 09 / March / 2019, 15:37:29 by cereal_eater »

« Reply #4 on: 04 / February / 2020, 14:32:39 »
I think there really is a 256 GB limit for this tool.