SX30 IS - USB remote involving CHDK and TRIGGERTRAP - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

SX30 IS - USB remote involving CHDK and TRIGGERTRAP

• 4 Replies
SX30 IS - USB remote involving CHDK and TRIGGERTRAP
« on: 18 / July / 2013, 02:52:45 »
Advertisements
Hi all,

Please let me introduce myself, I'm Sébastien and I'm a pretty new user of CHDK on my SX30 camera. Everything is fine and I enjoy a lot being able to have raw on my bridge camera, using scripts etc. CHDK is GREAT!

I wanted to make also a usb remote shutter, and I discovered also at the same time an application for mobile phone : Triggertrap. It allows you to to take picture as if you were using a remote shutter, but it allows you also to take picture when for example the sound level (phone mic) is above a threshold, or let the application going to do a timelapse, etc etc. There is a lot of possibilities.

The cable needed for this is slightly different than a USB remote shutter. One can found simple instructions here :
http://triggertrap.com/triggertrap-and-chdk-support/
One more thing : a 2.5mm jack is needed, not 3.5.

I've followed all the instructions and i'm using a small USB battery which provide me 5V, not 4.5V.
and currently I can't get the remote system to work. Nothing happen when I try to take a picture from my phone.

Do you think that 5V instead of 4.5V is my problem ? Has anyone already manage to have this setup working ?

I do have another question regarding CHDK but this will be another topic (It seems that CHDK is always performing another picture right after the picture you are actually taking, in order to remove bad pixels. Is it right ? Can we prevent this to happen ? because for a 1m exposure time, it will take 2m, etc).

thanks a lot to everyone for your support, I'm sure I'll get this to work at the end !

Offline reyalp

Re: SX30 IS - USB remote involving CHDK and TRIGGERTRAP
« Reply #1 on: 18 / July / 2013, 03:05:27 »
I do have another question regarding CHDK but this will be another topic (It seems that CHDK is always performing another picture right after the picture you are actually taking, in order to remove bad pixels. Is it right ? Can we prevent this to happen ? because for a 1m exposure time, it will take 2m, etc).
This is dark frame subtraction, the canon firmware does it automatically for long exposures. You can turn it off using CHDK (under the raw menu in CHDK 1.1, or enhanced photo operations in CHDK 1.2) but the quality will suffer a lot unless you do your own dark frame subtraction later.

I don't know about your trigger trap problem, but I'd first check that you can get remote working involving trigger trap. You can test remote just by plugging / unplugging a USB cable into a PC with remote enabled.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 18 / July / 2013, 03:19:17 »
This is dark frame subtraction, the canon firmware does it automatically for long exposures. You can turn it off using CHDK (under the raw menu in CHDK 1.1, or enhanced photo operations in CHDK 1.2) but the quality will suffer a lot unless you do your own dark frame subtraction later.

That's my problem, I'm almost sure it is disabled. Anyway this is not really a problem, thank you :)

I don't know about your trigger trap problem, but I'd first check that you can get remote working involving trigger trap. You can test remote just by plugging / unplugging a USB cable into a PC with remote enabled.

Will try that asap and let you know. Just a simple USB/Mini type B usb cable is needed ? plug and unplug on the computer with the remote enabled will trigger the cam ?
thanks !

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 18 / July / 2013, 03:28:44 »
That's my problem, I'm almost sure it is disabled. Anyway this is not really a problem, thank you :)
If dark frame is disabled in the chdk menu, but the camera is still taking dark frames, it's a bug in the port. If you can verify that, we may be able to fix it.

If it is a bug, it might only be triggered by some combinations of settings, either in the Canon firmware or CHDK.
Will try that asap and let you know. Just a simple USB/Mini type B usb cable is needed ? plug and unplug on the computer with the remote enabled will trigger the cam ?
thanks !
Yes. If the remote is configured "one push", control mode "normal" http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Shutter_Remote#OnePush plugging in should make the camera go into the half-shoot state, and unplugging should shoot.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 18 / July / 2013, 08:56:46 »
Ok.

- "remove bad pixels" if off, and the camera is still taking the double of time of my exposure before i can take the next one.
But "reduce the noise" (Auto-On-Off) seems to be the right parameter because with 3.2s exposure, it takes around 4s for me to see the image in 'On' mode, instead of a lot more (with message "busy...") if I put it on 'Auto'.

pluging the cam to the computer like you said, or to my small USB battery works fine. I'm checking my interface cable to triggertrap, (for now not working as expected). Maybe that's my issue.

will keep you updated.

thanks for the quick support, much appreciated!