supplierdeeply

URGENT HELP NEEDED! Making 16GB-Cards work on 50 SX200IS!

• 10 Replies
URGENT HELP NEEDED! Making 16GB-Cards work on 50 SX200IS!
« on: 24 / July / 2013, 07:50:47 »
Advertisements
Hello! This weekend I am doing a very promising project, I will use 50 cameras to make the bullet-time effect while also making it as timelapse. the 50 camers shall take pictures every 15 seconds for 16 hours, resulting in about 190000 exposures all in all. http://www.martin-hoppe.com/B2050/

Now to make this possible I bought 50 16GB cards that can hold such an amount of data. Now I did not know that there is a 4GB barrier for CHDK. I am very much in a hurry to overcome this problem, and after studying the related posts now for half an hour I am asking for help here.

What can I do to make the 16GB-cards run on my SX200IS? Any ideas? Thanks a lot! Martin...

Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED! Making 16GB-Cards work on 50 SX200IS!
« Reply #1 on: 24 / July / 2013, 08:01:11 »
From the RTFM school of thought :  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Prepare_your_SD_card

You probably want to use the STICK utility mentioned at the top of that page - it will create bootable dual a partition cards for you.  You'll need to study a bit about how to use them.

(Hint : the sx200 was released in 2009)
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 24 / July / 2013, 08:36:10 »
Woooohoooo! Allright, after having problem to make Wicks work (it doesn´t like a card reader with a volume letter C:, after having changed to L: it worked), the camera shows 5022 possible exposure on setting L. That means I can take a picture every 12 seconds at full resolution. Great! Thanks a lot! I appreciate your help very much! Thanks!

Martin...

« Reply #3 on: 24 / July / 2013, 08:51:45 »
Woooohoooo! Allright, after having problem to make Wicks work (it doesn´t like a card reader with a volume letter C:, after having changed to L: it worked), the camera shows 5022 possible exposure on setting L. That means I can take a picture every 12 seconds at full resolution. Great! Thanks a lot! I appreciate your help very much! Thanks!
Assuming it created a dual partition card for you,  you probably want to read the parts about dual partition usage in the page link I posted so you will be able to recover your images from the second partition.

Hint :  http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/wasp/wasp.html

« Reply #4 on: 24 / July / 2013, 16:07:50 »
Thanks a lot, waterwingz! Sorry for asking here, I know I could find out myself but actually I have that much work left before sunday, I don´t know how to go on with all...

One question: Wicks itself has an option to swap partitions, can I use that too? Or is there any advantage in using Wasp?

Another question: I found CHDK on the large partition too? why is this? I have all my scripts on the small partition now, is that ok or should I have it all on the large partition too?

Thanks! martin.

« Reply #5 on: 24 / July / 2013, 19:11:37 »
One question: Wicks itself has an option to swap partitions, can I use that too? Or is there any advantage in using Wasp?
I don't think so.   Wasp is newer and is platform independent. It was designed to complement STICK and provide a utility just for swapping partitions.

Another question: I found CHDK on the large partition too? why is this? I have all my scripts on the small partition now, is that ok or should I have it all on the large partition too?
If you found the CHDK directory on your large partition, that is the correct place for it.  You scripts should be in the CHDK/SCRIPTS directory on that partition too.  The only thing that is needed on the small parition is the diskboot.bin file if you are using the SD card lock booting method  or  the ps.fi2 file if you are using the firmware update booting method.

« Reply #6 on: 24 / July / 2013, 20:59:58 »
Allright, i figured it out all. But it is quite a hassle with 50 SD-Cards. I asked the developer of Wicks and Wasp, if there is a command line tool to swap partitions, because all the reading og the jpgs from the card is done by a batch file running on a windows command prompt. Have you heard about something like that?

Thanks! Martin

« Reply #7 on: 24 / July / 2013, 21:47:56 »
I asked the developer of Wicks and Wasp, if there is a command line tool to swap partitions, because all the reading og the jpgs from the card is done by a batch file running on a windows command prompt. Have you heard about something like that?
The problem is that (AFAIK) Wicks & Wasp flip a bit in the SD card's header to change the primary and secondary partitions.   You still have to plug and unplug the SD card for Windows to recognize the change.

There is a driver out there that will automatically mount both partitions - although it might have been WinXP specific.  I'll root around and see if I can find the reference on this forum.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 24 / July / 2013, 22:39:23 »
Allright, i figured it out all. But it is quite a hassle with 50 SD-Cards. I asked the developer of Wicks and Wasp, if there is a command line tool to swap partitions, because all the reading og the jpgs from the card is done by a batch file running on a windows command prompt. Have you heard about something like that?
FWIW, Linux and Mac have no trouble mounting both partitions. If you are are going to be doing this routinely with 50 cards, it might be worth setting up a system just for that.

Alternately, you could download the images over USB.

Using a *nix system might also help with setting up the cards, you should be able to set up one with all the partitioning and chdk settings you want, then just create an image of the entire card and dd it onto the rest. Some disk imaging software on windows can probably do this too.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline blackhole

• A590IS 101b
    • Planetary astrophotography
« Reply #9 on: 25 / July / 2013, 01:37:11 »
There is a driver out there that will automatically mount both partitions - although it might have been WinXP specific.  I'll root around and see if I can find the reference on this forum.
Did you thinking of this ?