Maximum number of continuous mode shots - page 3 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Maximum number of continuous mode shots

• 29 Replies
Re: Maximum number of continuous mode shots
« Reply #20 on: 08 / August / 2013, 12:53:43 »
Advertisements
I have installed and run your lua script thanks.  I need some guidance as to running it and where to look for the data.

In shooting mode if the name of the script shows bottom left, the controls are frozen.  So I Display the script name so it disappears.
I have run continuous with and without screen.

When the shooting stops, where do I look for the data created?
I did note that when stopped, if I half depress the shutter, different numbers appear top right than when the camera is at rest.  Is that the data from the test?

Is there onscreen data as the camera is shooting?
Thanks

Offline reyalp

« Reply #21 on: 08 / August / 2013, 13:18:31 »
I have installed and run your lua script thanks.  I need some guidance as to running it and where to look for the data.
I just posted the script so anyone who is interested can see how I obtained my results. I don't know that it will help you, but having objective data is always a good start to understanding things.
In shooting mode if the name of the script shows bottom left, the controls are frozen.  So I Display the script name so it disappears.
To run the script, you need to be in CHDK "alt" mode, with the script name displayed.

The camera needs to be set to continuous mode in the canon UI.

When you click the shutter (don't hold it down, just click) it will start the script. By default, this will shoot 60 shots in continuous mode. You can adjust the number in the script settings menu.
I have run continuous with and without screen.
My tests were with the screen on, but it should work the same. You just have to make sure you are in alt mode. Since you can't turn off the screen in alt mode, you 'll need to go to regular mode, turn of the screen, and then press the print button once to enter alt mode.

I did note that when stopped, if I half depress the shutter, different numbers appear top right than when the camera is at rest.  Is that the data from the test?
No. The data is saved in cstest.csv on the root of your SD card. The first number is the "tick count" when the exposure counter incremented, and the second number is the difference from the previous one.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #22 on: 08 / August / 2013, 13:46:54 »
The image size will vary greatly depending how much detail there is in the scene, which will likely affect saving times.
Ran the script on my SD940 (with a little tweak to print the average time to the console).   Average time shot to shot was about 1.1 seconds regardless of compression quality / image size settings.

I was able to get down to just below 0.9 seconds if I pointed the camera out the window on a bright day. Strange that exposure time makes that big a difference.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #23 on: 08 / August / 2013, 15:19:32 »
A Canon user in another discussion group found that Night Mode gave him faster times.  Someone else suggested that might be because that mode produced smaller files.
So mode selected might be a variable.  Although maybe all we are talking about is the importance of files size.

a question might be whether there is a threshold below which it does not matter.  IE could I get extremely high speed with the smallest 640x480 jpeg size.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #24 on: 08 / August / 2013, 15:49:34 »
I was able to get down to just below 0.9 seconds if I pointed the camera out the window on a bright day. Strange that exposure time makes that big a difference.
What was the exposure times before that? Shooting indoors you can easily end up with the actual exposure time being a significant fraction of the shot time, especially if you are using low ISO. That's why I fixed exposure time at 1/30th for my tests.

« Reply #25 on: 08 / August / 2013, 16:39:07 »
What was the exposure times before that? Shooting indoors you can easily end up with the actual exposure time being a significant fraction of the shot time, especially if you are using low ISO. That's why I fixed exposure time at 1/30th for my tests.
Indoors :   1.587 seconds / shot  (average)  at  Tv=1/20 sec.    ISO640  ( nominal jpg size = 1.9Mb)
Outdoors:  0.966 seconds / shot (average) at    Tv=1/500 sec.  ISO250  ( nominal jpg size = 2.2Mb)

The additional .048 second for the longer Tv indoors doesn't seem like it should affect the 0.621 difference in time between shots by much.
« Last Edit: 08 / August / 2013, 16:41:07 by waterwingz »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #26 on: 08 / August / 2013, 16:58:32 »
Indoors :   1.587 seconds / shot  (average)  at  Tv=1/20 sec.    ISO640  ( nominal jpg size = 1.9Mb)
Outdoors:  0.966 seconds / shot (average) at    Tv=1/500 sec.  ISO250  ( nominal jpg size = 2.2Mb)

The additional .048 second for the longer Tv indoors doesn't seem like it should affect the 0.621 difference in time between shots by much.
On at least some cameras higher ISO settings are known to slow down the shooting. I assume this is due noise reduction or other processing overhead.

It would be interesting to compare a complex scene (=larger file) vs a simple one, with all the other parameters constant. An easy way to do this would be to do one series in focus on a high detail scene and another completely out of focus.

« Reply #27 on: 08 / August / 2013, 17:18:19 »
It would be interesting to compare a complex scene (=larger file) vs a simple one, with all the other parameters constant. An easy way to do this would be to do one series in focus on a high detail scene and another completely out of focus.
I'll try that.   

Too bad its so hard to get MF to work reliably  :o

« Reply #28 on: 10 / August / 2013, 15:39:12 »
If CHDK had an option to save in continuous mode RAW without jpeg, would there likely be a speedup?

« Reply #29 on: 10 / August / 2013, 15:40:44 »
If CHDK had an option to save in continuous mode RAW without jpeg, would there likely be a speedup?
Maybe a very small one.