Timelapse with manual shutter speed on Elph 320 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Timelapse with manual shutter speed on Elph 320

• 12 Replies
Timelapse with manual shutter speed on Elph 320
« on: 18 / August / 2013, 10:55:44 »
Advertisements
Hi,

i am totaly new to chdk and interested in buying a Elph 320 . However I got on simple question: Is it possible to run timelapse on the camera and manually set the shutter speed with CHDK? I want to use the camera on a Drone (quadcopter). To get blur free shots i need to make sure that i can set the shutter speed manually to a high value like 1/500 sec  while the camera chooses the right aperture to get a well exposed picture (like in TV mode on a DSLR).

thank you for your help

Re: Timelapse with manual shutter speed on Elph 320
« Reply #1 on: 18 / August / 2013, 11:04:38 »
i am totaly new to chdk and interested in buying a Elph 320 .
CHDK has been ported to the Elph320 but not released yet due to lack of testing by any Elph320 owner.  There are test builds available that should be mostly fully functional but needing testing & validation.   

Your best bet is to read and watch the IXUS240/ELPH320 Porting Thread

However I got on simple question: Is it possible to run timelapse on the camera and manually set the shutter speed with CHDK?
Yes.

I want to use the camera on a Drone (quadcopter). To get blur free shots i need to make sure that i can set the shutter speed manually to a high value like 1/500 sec while the camera chooses the right aperture to get a well exposed picture (like in TV mode on a DSLR).
Most of the smaller Canon P&S cameras,  and all of the recent inexpensive ones, do not have a variable iris or aperature.   The numbers you see in the specs are the "effective aperature" at different zoom positions or with a Neutral Density filter in or out of the light path.

In your case,  the camera will need to adjust the ISO sensitivity setting to compensate for your fixed 1/500 (or higher if you like) shutter speed.   In low light situations this can result in higher noise in your image but for the most part should be perfectly acceptable outdoors during daylight shooting.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 18 / August / 2013, 17:23:51 »
Thank you so much for your prompt answer! It was absolutely new to me, that those small cameras do not have an aperture anymore (i only own DSLRs till now). So i guess i will get an elph 320 and help you devoloping by testing  :)

« Reply #3 on: 18 / August / 2013, 17:34:48 »
Thank you so much for your prompt answer! It was absolutely new to me, that those small cameras do not have an aperture anymore (i only own DSLRs till now). So i guess i will get an elph 320 and help you devoloping by testing  :)
A lot of people get confused about small P&S cameras not having variable iris control.   Including at least one so called  "expert" editor on the dpreview forum - but that's another story.

The elph320 is a lot like my older ixus120_sd940.  Small and light but a great little shooter.  You should have lots of fun with it.

« Reply #4 on: 22 / August / 2013, 09:52:08 »
Hi,

i received an image however both Methods to load the firmware do not work:

Method 1 - Using a CHDK itself to make the SD card bootable -> I cannot find a firmware update entry in the entire menu?!

Method 2 - Using EOSCard to make the SD card bootable -> Camera boot up when i press the play button but just tells me that the card is locked. I do not see any CHDK logo...

Can someone please help out?

Offline zeno

« Reply #5 on: 22 / August / 2013, 11:51:01 »
If you have the DISKBOOT.BIN for the Elph320, you can set up CHDK by doing the following.

1. get hold of my STICK app from
2. get an unmodified photo taken by any Canon supported by CHDK that was released after January 2011
3. run STICK, drop the photo on the STICK window and set up a card for the camera that matches the photo
4. copy the Elph320 DISKBOOT.BIN file to the card, overwriting the one for the camera you don't have.

The reason for choosing a post-2011 camera (like you Elph) is that such cameras will boot from FAT32 cards and hence don't require two partitions on cards bigger than 4GB.

A convenient source of photos taken with new Canons is the DPReview site.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #6 on: 22 / August / 2013, 13:56:21 »
Wow...finally i got it working. My Win 7 64bit workstation would not detect the card (although i ran stickx.cmd). fortunately i got an old netbook with win 7 32 bit that did the trick.

Thanks for the help!

« Reply #7 on: 22 / August / 2013, 14:14:16 »
Ok...next Problem - i understand that i have to enter the <alt> mode to run a script. But how to i enter that alt mode with a touchscreen camera (that does not have the print button or the other buttons?!)

sorry for those noob questions...

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #8 on: 22 / August / 2013, 14:37:36 »
that does not have the print button or the other buttons?!

And the playback button? Try this button (blue [>]).

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_1.2.0_User_Manual#.3CALT.3E_Mode

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #9 on: 22 / August / 2013, 14:46:44 »
And the playback button? Try this button (blue [>]).
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_1.2.0_User_Manual#.3CALT.3E_Mode
Note that you use a short press on the Playback button to enter <ALT> mode.  If you old the button down for more than about 1/2 second you get the normal Canon function for that button.