installing CHDK for 2 camera in one SD card - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

installing CHDK for 2 camera in one SD card

• 8 Replies
installing CHDK for 2 camera in one SD card
« on: 29 / August / 2013, 04:53:10 »
Advertisements
I have been using Ixus 115 HS and A2400IS and both running CHDK.

having a problem when I am changing cards. I have few spare cards for the cameras, however, installing CHDK on a card for Ixus 115HS means that this card cannot be used on A2400IS.

Without a laptop, I cannot switch the CHDK installation for use by the other camera.

Could there be a way to install both CHDK and when the camera starts, it checks the model and run the corresponding installation?

Re: installing CHDK for 2 camera in one SD card
« Reply #1 on: 29 / August / 2013, 08:43:21 »
Could there be a way to install both CHDK and when the camera starts, it checks the model and run the corresponding installation?
Unfortunately,  I don't think so. 
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 29 / August / 2013, 13:38:36 »
This can't be done in CHDK. Loading CHDK is done by Canon code.

Once CHDK is loaded, the Canon OS is trashed, so even if CHDK could detect which camera it was on, it would have no way to load a different file. It might be theoretically possible to hijack some romstarter code to do this, as it doesn't vary much between cameras.

For larrycafe's specific case, it's even worse: The cameras have different diskboot encodings. When the canon firmware encounters a diskboot with the wrong encoding, it just loads it anyway and decodes it with the wrong key. Then it tries to execute the resulting garbage... in this situation, there is no possible solution short of modifying the camera ROM.

You can have two different builds on a card if you are willing to load one manually. Just copy the PS.FI2 from the one you want to load with "firm update" manual loading, and the DISKBOOT.BIN for the one you want to autoload. You'll have to unlock the card before putting it in the one you want to load manually.

You could theoretically add a third (manually loaded) version to the mix using the canon basic loader.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 29 / August / 2013, 13:56:09 »
You can have two different builds on a card if you are willing to load one manually. Just copy the PS.FI2 from the one you want to load with "firm update" manual loading, and the DISKBOOT.BIN for the one you want to autoload. You'll have to unlock the card before putting it in the one you want to load manually.
I thought of this too but hesitated to suggest it as I was not sure that the .flt module files would be the same for different camera?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 29 / August / 2013, 14:06:28 »
I thought of this too but hesitated to suggest it as I was not sure that the .flt module files would be the same for different camera?
In modern builds, they should be 100% compatible.

« Reply #5 on: 30 / August / 2013, 03:28:57 »
thanks for the reply waterwingz and reyalp.

is it installing both CHDK and one goes the Firmware Update method and another one use the Bootable SD card method?

« Reply #6 on: 30 / August / 2013, 11:06:45 »
is it installing both CHDK and one goes the Firmware Update method and another one use the Bootable SD card method?
Yes.   The ps.fi2 file is used for "firmware update" booting and the diskboot.bin is used for "SD Card Lock" booting.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 30 / August / 2013, 15:03:21 »
thanks for the reply waterwingz and reyalp.

Another note: the settings file will be shared between them. This should generally be OK, but there are some settings that will get reset which you switch cameras, and of course you might not want to use the same settings on different cameras.

You could use lua scripts with set_config_value to adjust things, but that adds even more complexity.

Given the cost of flash memory these days, it might make more sense to just buy enough cards to dedicate as many as you need to each camera....

« Reply #8 on: 30 / August / 2013, 15:12:17 »
You could use lua scripts with set_config_value to adjust things, but that adds even more complexity.
Here's what I use :

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=10126

Although in my case, it's to set different cameras with different SD cards up the same way.  It can also be used to setup different cameras with the same SD card in different configs.