New A2200 won't turn on with SD card locked - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

New A2200 won't turn on with SD card locked

• 3 Replies
New A2200 won't turn on with SD card locked
« on: 30 / August / 2013, 16:21:52 »
Advertisements
Hi - I just got 3 refurbished A2200 cameras from Canon and am trying to determine the firmware version. Unfortunately two of the cameras will not turn on when a locked SD card is in the camera. If I remove the card it still will not turn on unless I remove and replace the battery then turn it on. If I insert an unlocked card (after removing the battery and re-inserting it) the camera works just fine. Has anyone else experienced a camera not starting with a locked SD card?

For what it's worth I have four other A2200 cameras that have been working fine with CHDK for over a year. In fact I helped test CHDK for this camera.

Any help is appreciated.

Ned

Offline reyalp

Re: New A2200 won't turn on with SD card locked
« Reply #1 on: 30 / August / 2013, 16:23:38 »
Sounds like the firmware version is not compatible with the version of CHDK you are trying to use. What is the canon firmware version of the new cameras?

edit:
One of the tools linked from http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Q._How_can_I_get_the_original_firmware_version_number_of_my_camera.3F should help if you are having trouble with the vers.req method.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 30 / August / 2013, 16:43:05 »
Has anyone else experienced a camera not starting with a locked SD card?
reyalp's comment is almost certainly correct - I'd be stunned if it wasn't.

But to answer this specific question,  if you have the wrong firmware version of CHDK for your camera loaded on an SD card configured to autoboot CHDK,  then you will "experience a camera not starting with a locked SD card".  And you will normally need to pull the battery after trying this in order to get the camera to restart. The On/Off button is under software control - if the software is crashed / hung then it will not turn off the camera when you press the button.
« Last Edit: 30 / August / 2013, 16:44:37 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #3 on: 31 / August / 2013, 07:51:44 »
Thanks for the advice. That was the problem. I had the vers.req file on the card but forgot to delete the CHDK files which were for a different version. I don't think I'll make that mistake again.

Thanks again,

Ned