RAW average vs Helicon Focus? - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

RAW average vs Helicon Focus?

• 16 Replies
RAW average vs Helicon Focus?
« on: 14 / April / 2008, 11:29:53 »
Advertisements
Would like to extend the Depth of Field of my Macro and CloseUp Photos.

Has anyone tested the results from RAW average vs Helicon Focus  Helicon Soft: Products or other software designed for this purpose?

Searched the forum for "Helicon Focus" nothing.

Thanks

Gene

Offline lukg

• Eos 450D+18-55is+55-250is & Powershot S5is - 1.01a
Re: RAW average vs Helicon Focus?
« Reply #1 on: 14 / April / 2008, 11:46:04 »
I gave a quick try to CombineZ (freeware) taking 10 different focus pictures and it seems to work well.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #2 on: 14 / April / 2008, 11:49:55 »
i guess you mean something like that: Samples: Unlimited DOF - CHDK Wiki

edit: lukg beat me to it.

Offline lukg

• Eos 450D+18-55is+55-250is & Powershot S5is - 1.01a
« Reply #3 on: 14 / April / 2008, 14:34:00 »
i guess you mean something like that: Samples: Unlimited DOF - CHDK Wiki

edit: lukg beat me to it.

:P

« Reply #4 on: 14 / April / 2008, 15:10:54 »
PhotoAcute Studio

Used it once, but the other features (noise stacking, superresolution stacking -- getting 28mpx jpgs from 7mpx jpgs, moving objects removal) work great.

« Reply #5 on: 14 / April / 2008, 16:13:59 »
Tufuse for focus and exposure bracketing - free -

http://www.tawbaware.com/tufuse.htm

even better with Panorama program "PTassembler" http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr.htm ( but 45 USD) for aligning the images before  or you use "align_image_stack.exe" from HUGIN Beta for free -  http://panospace.wordpress.com/downloads/).

Or there is also a comercial version of Tufuse "TufusePro" with GUI http://www.tawbaware.com/tufusepro.htm.

« Reply #6 on: 14 / April / 2008, 17:44:27 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:46:42 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #7 on: 14 / April / 2008, 17:52:49 »
PhotoAcute Studio

Used it once, but the other features (noise stacking, superresolution stacking -- getting 28mpx jpgs from 7mpx jpgs, moving objects removal) work great.

Funny you should mention this one. I downloaded it the other day and didn't even know what it was for. I just got done using the demo examples included. Quite the interesting (and amazing) bit of software. A new one for the must-haves toolbox.

I thought the "remove moving objects" was quite clever. How many times people want to take vacation shots of some landmark being flooded with gawkers. With enough photos so the landmark structures shows through all the moving people, you can remove all the people.

The HDR demo seemed to perform quite well too, as too the focus stacking, and that high-resolution method from many standard frames was interesting too. I like too that it will also spit out aligned and cropped images if need be for other projects. Lots of utilitarian-ness to this one.

Thanks for mentioning it and making me go see what it was.

I'm just as amazed. I used the superresolution mode to make 28mpx pictures and severely impress my buddies. I shot my own camera in the mirror, 10 times then used the software. If you don't get any extra resolution, you at least get a sharp noiseless picture in the end.

I did some noise removal tests with ISO 400 and they look great.

The "remove moving objects from first frame" would be best used for public places, effectively displacing any passer-by.

HDR... not so impressed. So far, I like easyHDR for sharpness and Photoshop for neutral balance.

I'm going to have some tests done with multiple shots in PhotoAcute and noise reduction in Neat Image. ISO 400 shots look better than ISO 80 after processing.

« Reply #8 on: 15 / April / 2008, 10:36:51 »
Thanks for all the software suggestions!  Will be testing them all.

I have not tried Helicon Focus yet so if anyone has am interested in what you  thought of it?

Since most software has a learning curve, am

« Reply #9 on: 15 / April / 2008, 11:32:09 »
Everyone,

Have just uploaded a series of 10 closeup RAW photos of the P4 CPU of a Dell 2350 that had a rough life.
Download Link
zSHARE - crw_1212.zip

Would be very interested in the results of the software mentioned.

Can also upload the corresponding JPGs if anyone is interested.

Thanks again

Gene