CHDKPTP and Canon S5IS - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

CHDKPTP and Canon S5IS

• 8 Replies
CHDKPTP and Canon S5IS
« on: 11 / September / 2013, 20:47:04 »
Advertisements
I have been able to get CHDKPTP working with my Canon S5IS, but I have not figured out to access the following items:

• Open CHDK script menu from the PC
  • Access MF controls from PC
  • Change ISO from PC

I've also noticed that the live view overlays don't always display correctly on the PC (it might show the overlay from two or three keypresses ago).

Is there something else I need to do to access these functions from the PC?

Offline reyalp

Re: CHDKPTP and Canon S5IS
« Reply #1 on: 11 / September / 2013, 21:50:39 »
Open CHDK script menu from the PC
You cannot current manipulate the chdk menus through PTP. If you want to run scripts, you should run them using one of the lua execution commands. See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Lua/PTP_Scripting#General_information_about_executing_Lua_code_over_PTP
Access MF controls from PC
I'm not sure how these controls are normally access on S5. If they are controlled with key presses that can be sent from CHDK script, then you should be able to do that. If not, the subject distance override script functions might be another alternative.
Change ISO from PC
Again, if this can be adjusted using keys that CHDK can send, you should be able to do it. Otherwise, you would need to set ISO using script functions.

Regarding both of the above, it looks like It looks like KEY_MF and KEY_ISO are defined for this camera. While they won't appear in the chdkptp UI, you should be able to use commands like
=click('mf')
or
=click('iso')
to simulate key presses.

I've also noticed that the live view overlays don't always display correctly on the PC (it might show the overlay from two or three keypresses ago).
This port doesn't have some of the additional functions needed for a full live view implementation. I may be able to post a test build with more implemented at some point, if no one else beats me to it.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 11 / September / 2013, 22:24:59 »
Thanks for the insight. I'll play around and see what I can do.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 11 / September / 2013, 22:33:00 »
Thanks for the insight. I'll play around and see what I can do.
Which canon firmware version does your S5 have, 101a or 101b?

« Reply #4 on: 11 / September / 2013, 23:43:23 »
101b

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 12 / September / 2013, 01:06:04 »
Here's a test build. It should solve the overlay issue and also use the correct color palette.

In addition to this, it tries to get the viewport (live view image) dimensions from the firmware. Please check different still and video modes and report if some of the image is cut off, or contains garbage, or is in the wrong aspect ratio. Digital zoom may also change the viewport resolution.

Stitch mode will be wrong, according the manual this camera has complicated stitch modes, so I haven't even tried to account for them.

« Reply #6 on: 28 / September / 2013, 14:31:08 »
Sorry for the delay. Just got around to loading that firmware on the camera... the overlays are not working correctly. See screenshot.

This is not a huge deal for me... I haven't quite found a way to use PTP the way I had envisioned yet. I was essentially hoping to use it for a remote screen monitor and remote trigger (to offset the fact that I don't have a USB remote) for some closeup photography of birds, but I've encountered two limitations that I don't know if I can overcome:

I haven't figured a way to adjust the manual focus remotely. The camera requires that you hold down the MF-button and then use the up/down buttons on the D-pad to adjust the focus, so I haven't figured a way to do that from the PTP interface.

Also, I can't seem to "hold" down the shutter button to get burst photos (continuous shooting).

It's a great app, but I'm not 100% sure it will do what I was hoping for in this particular instance. I would still like to use it for some astrophotography, but I'm not ready to get into that yet.

Thanks so much for your help!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 28 / September / 2013, 15:44:30 »
Sorry for the delay. Just got around to loading that firmware on the camera... the overlays are not working correctly. See screenshot.
Thanks for the screenshot. Is this what it looked like before, or a different problem ?

If you can switch to the "debug" tab, click "quick dump" and post the resulting file, that would help me understand what it is happening.

This is not a huge deal for me...
I would definitely like to get the display stuff sorted out if you are willing to help. These things are difficult without having the actual camera...

I haven't figured a way to adjust the manual focus remotely. The camera requires that you hold down the MF-button and then use the up/down buttons on the D-pad to adjust the focus, so I haven't figured a way to do that from the PTP interface.
There's not really a way to do this from the gui. You could do it with some some scripting. Something like
=press('mf');click('up');release('mf')
should move one step "up"

Or perhaps
=post_levent_to_ui('PressMFButton)
click up or down as needed in the gui to adjust focus
=post_levent_to_ui('UnpressMFButton)

Another likely problems is that you will not see the MF "point zoom" over PTP (even if I fix the bug in your screenshot), so manual focus will be difficult in any case. This isn't currently available over live view.
Also, I can't seem to "hold" down the shutter button to get burst photos (continuous shooting).
Again, not currently available from the gui, but possible with scripting.

The "remoteshoot" command does support continuous mode, but support for doing this with jpeg hasn't been added for s5. I'll look into adding this to the regular "shoot" cli command. I can post an example script if you are interested.

Unfortunately, the way the gui current works makes holding down buttons difficult. On of my long term plans is to add an "advanced control" mode that works in a different way, but time my time is limited.

« Reply #8 on: 28 / September / 2013, 16:30:07 »
Thanks for your reply. I'll post a debug file later this weekend.